1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We're all wasting our time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Sep 10, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What I think is amusing is when "Replicators" reproduce all the sharps and clams of their hero's recordings, as if the mistake was an crucial element in the song.
    We'd cover songs and try to "correct" what we thought were mistakes, and solitary guys would approach us afterward and express disappointment that we messed up and "got it wrong".

+

One of the things I really dig about "Dead and Company" is the guitar parts all properly intonated and on the mark. I think it improves some songs dramatically.

JL_LI and hemingway like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not true - you most definitely remember what you played wrong. :lol:
    It's kind of funny though, when you think you've had an off night, and then you have people coming up and raving about how you played it note for note and killed it.

3. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

They come in neon? ... I'm getting one.

4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

I have had the time of my life arriving at the Mesa 50 caliber+ into 2x12 closed(first run t75 & Vintage) & 2x12 Semi open(Mesa v30 & Black Shadow) with Gibson Firebird(496/500) & SGJ 61 Zebras & Hammer Diablo . It all definitely matters. Even down to the pickup & what speaker to mic for said job.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but is it red?

gregulator450, Ronzo and Henley like this.
  6. bftfender

I do have red SG & Lp if my tone would need some color

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

True but then there's that gang of us who stand close enough to the stage to watch hands, amp settings and pedal choices. We politely listen, tap our toes all the while thinking, "Show us whatcha got!" :twisted: It means something to our fellow players.;)

8. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

ORDER SUMMARY
    9/10/2020

BC Rich Bich ..... $500.00
    Custom paint job (neon upcharge) .... $200.00

Thank you for your business

gregulator450, Jakedog and hemingway like this.
  9. bftfender

In studio fussy

Live, need clean, slight break, lt crunch, heavy crunch & lead pop. Give me a Mesa or Marshall & mic a celestion of some sort that fits the genre, a klon, TS & Eq pedal & will ride the guitar controls..works every time.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

If we're lucky, or if we've played our cards right, we get to choose how we will waste our time, and this way is not the worst.

11. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

You ever go to the race track with a girl?

I study the horse's jockey, the trainer, past finishes, what gate coming out of, previous distances run.... The girl just picks a horse because of looks. Guess who always seems to do better at the track?

[​IMG]

The ignorant one is the happier one.

Of course we over-obsess over our guitar gear...and of course it really amounts to nothing for others. Yes, we go mad over every detail. But don't you see, that's part of the fun? Playing guitar is fun...and so is thinking about which tuners would look best or perform better.

12. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Somewhere, there MUST be a painting idea behind this post!!! LOL

I hear what you are saying but I politely disagree. My guitar path is for my own self-indulging enjoyment. It's fun to show friends and family the neat guitars I've picked up lately but unrealistic to expect them to have the same passion, or understand tonal differences between the Tele bridge pickup and the Les Paul humbucker.

Or, I could be missing the point completely, of which I am absolutely famous for.

hemingway likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a good thing you didn't pull out a black one, the guy wouldn't have listened at all, he'd just have run off. I can only think of about 25,000 guys on the Bad Dog who even like black guitars. (and they're all wrong) :D:D:D:D

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You're right, of course.....except I usually don't pick a guitar to play because of what other people think. I'm looking for comfort, weight, playability, and if I can get approximately the sound I want out of it. Even with other musicians listening, I'll get the old "That guitar sure sounds good" comment.....as if I didn't have anything to do with it, but that's OK. I just say thanks, and keep wrapping up my cables.
    As to overall performance evaluations, I think people remember in generalities.....if the folks LIKED your performance, that's how they remember it. If they don't, well, you get downgraded in their opinions.

Greggorios and hemingway like this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Wicked World definitely gives the Strat up. The other songs are harder to tell.

Steerforth likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

People who suffer from GAS and all the ensuing headaches that go with it, are just prone to that sort of thing. If it wasn't guitars, it would be cars, or marbles, or chess sets, or guns, or toadstools, hunting dogs, something, and every new acquisition is going to be the one. After acquiring said whatever it may be, the infatuation is immediately dispersed into a puff smoke, and the attention immediately is directed to another "perfect" specimen. Anyone looking for a really nice toadstool?

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Actually, it's even worse than that. I can distinguish a tele from a humbucker-equipped guitar most of the time, and it means something to me. But here we're at the point where it's a marketing selling point that a certain guitar has a "recessed barrel switch tip", and we're endlessly debating what paint does to SOUND (or if you prefer an amp-related example, what the material of the caps does to sound). I am as guilty as the next man, but the point is that EVEN ASSUMING that the precise flavor of electric guitar sound you play matters (say: Strat vs Les Paul), we're wasting a prodigious amount of hours and energy on geeky stuff that has NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER EVEN ON THAT…

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    gregulator450, Ronzo and hemingway like this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you’ve trained your ears but mine might as well be lumps of broccoli! I know what sounds pleasing to me and what I prefer. Yes, we are all “tone chasers” because that what is about. Play Purple Haze with a clean tone. It’s just not the same. Think of the violin like sustain of Gary Moore or Santana and imagine it some other way. Doesn’t work.

I buy gear for me and not to please others. I don’t gig so no one else hears it. The only thing that matters is the tone I get with me in a room with any of my guitars, amps and pedals.

Yes, we buy and buy to get the connection we want with our gear.

BTW, I’ve taken your side of the argument in previous posts.:D:eek: I gave up search for the perfect drive pedal until I didn’t. Then it was lather, rinse repeat. I just bought a new amp a month ago and a new OD pedal yesterday.;)

Greggorios, nojazzhere and hemingway like this.
  19. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

It's nine o'clock on a Saturday
    The regular crowd shuffles in...
    Thanks, now you got Billy Joel stuck in my head :eek:

Greggorios, nojazzhere and hemingway like this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

still, and all, it's a glorious world, at least for those of us who don't have to go any farther than the fridge to figure out a meal.

I mean, I'm glad I don't have to hunt, because then, I'd have to figure out where gluten-free tacos live and I hear they're exceeding difficult to trap.

I seriously dig the fact that I have guitars with P-90s and traditional fender-style single coils and one or two humbuckers in the crowd and not one, not two, but three different amps to play them all through. Coupla acoustics as well and I've got a computer setup that can record stuff in any two or three hundred different flavors. Kind of glorious in it's own way.

No one else has to care - I still have fun!

Before the foul besmirching pestilence (to which I lost a very good musical friend, btw), I had regular gigs, too, and I took various of these implements along and had a ton of fun playing them.

Nope, no one in the crowd gave three figs for which guitar I showed up with - except a handful of guitar players, who sometimes asked afterwards what kind of stuff that was.

Glorious, I tell ya, and I won't be convinced otherwise.

Otis Fine and RadioFM74 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.