1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We're all wasting our time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Sep 10, 2020.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar players, that is.

We have trained our ears to detect the merest differences between guitars, gear, components, all in order to justify our obsession and addiction.

To people who don't play guitar, none of this means tuppence.

Why? Well, this is what I'm pretty sure would happen in a listening test with any of my non-guitarist friends . . .

The test is a tele played clean vs a Les Paul played clean.

Now, we all know what's going to happen. The tele will sound brighter, spankier, harsher, clearer. The Les Paul will sound fatter, creamier, thicker, and other words ending in -er.

So, there's my mate, listening. And me playing.

After the test I say: which one sounded better?

-That one.

-Why?

-Cos it's red. I like red. The other one sucks. It's yellow. I hate yellow.

-But how did it sound different?

-Coz it's red. It looks really cool. That yellow one sounds sucky.

-How did it sound sucky?

-Coz it's yellow. I hate yellow. I like the red one better.

-Can you describe the differences in sound?

-I like the red one.

-Yes, but how-

-Do you have any snacks?

Wasting. Our. Time.

ronzhd, Tony Forman, SuprHtr and 46 others like this.
  2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

From a song I'm writing:

It’s Saturday evening at the Dirty Shame Inn, the regular crowd are all there

I set up my guitar, my stool, and my mic, I’ll sing all night long and no one will care

3. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

When I finish recording a song, I like to have my wife listen to it for some stupid reason. I'm still expecting to hear her say, "Wow, that was a really nice lick after that 2nd verse." Instead, I get, "It's good." Me: "How about that lick after the 2nd verse?" Her: "What's a lick?"

So yeah, we, the guitar players, are the only ones who hear that ****. Consider us lucky?!?

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I will see someone on a TV show pick up and strum a guitar or plink something on an old piano. I say "That guitar is out of tune." My wife will ask "How can you tell?" to which my response was "How can you not tell?"

I can tell - usually - what guitar and amp are used on a recording. Maybe not exactly, but close, or within a brand. My wife doesn't care, and just enjoys it. Sigh.

I don't like a lot of mid-70s recordings, especially the Stones. All mids, with treble and bass EQ'd out. Yuck. However, I'm the only one who notices.

Just a relic of developing "an ear" I guess.

Steerforth, D'tar, PhredE and 4 others like this.
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

There is a story that Tony Iommi started recording the first Black Sabbath album with a Stratocaster., It malfunctioned and he finished with his iconic SG. I cannot tell with any certainty what song has what guitar.

I have two humbucker, one P90, and one single coil guitar. That is as deep as I personally want to go. It would be a waste of my time and money to endlessly cycle through guitars. I know I am very much in the minority here!

Most non guitar players won't notice the difference from Les Paul to Telecaster. It's all for us!

Buell, Jake909, PhredE and 1 other person like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't care and I don't buy guitars based on how they sound. I just put in what I want, there are lots of pickups available.

But I have wasted a lot of time listening to pedal demos.

7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're playing for your color-obsessed friend, maybe you're wasting your time. If you're playing for your own enjoyment, maybe not.

-Ray

8. hemingway

Yeah, I have a Buddy Guy album where the different guitars he plays are listed on each track. All sound like guitars to me. Played by Buddy Guy.

9. hemingway

Oh, trust me, I'm usually wasting my time, whatever I'm doing.

39martind18, nicknklv, Buell and 6 others like this.
  10. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Welcome to my world. :lol:

39martind18, Buell, Jake909 and 5 others like this.
  11. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I agree 100 %, not to mention the difference between analog or digital pedals......

Gardo and hemingway like this.
  12. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

That might be the most annoying thing I've read on this website. I didn't know that. Now I'm going to be listening to NIB and wondering if that sounded "quacky"!

13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

It all come back to this though ey?

[​IMG]

14. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Reminiscent of the last scene in The Devil In Miss Jones.

Hell, for you, would be to be stuck in a room with a person like that for eternity.

hemingway likes this.
  15. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you on that. It drives me nuts to hear someone playing a guitar that is out of tune.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  16. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Same!

I asked at some point why I needed an acoustic with a humbucking soundhole pickup and light-gauge acoustic strings for acoustic gigs, and also a 335 copy with humbuckers and heavy -gauge electric strings for electric gigs, considering that:

- I couldn't hear the difference over the bar noise
    - I couldn't feel the difference while I was playing + singing + trying to remember the words + doing my own sound + watching the crowd for signs of impending attack
    - The audience couldn't tell the difference and wasn't listening either way

Not sure I ever got a solid answer on that, now that I think back

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

That’s one side of the coin. The other side is that only guitarists hear the mistakes we inevitably make. Some of the best advice I ever got was to just keep playing. By the end of the song nobody will remember what you played wrong.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You have just stated succinctly, and perfectly, the diametric opposite of what I do. Complete mirror opposite.

But this is good. At least for FMIC. You buy the guitars I would never, and I get to pick and choose precisely the guitars I want without getting out-hustled for them. Vive la difference.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

All of this is true. I have only ever had non-musicians comment on my gear when I use something wild. I could go on stage with an actual 59 burst or early black guard and you know what would happen? Nothing. Aside from maybe another guitar geek hyperventilating.

If I go on stage with a neon colored BC Rich Bich, I’m gonna have at least a half dozen people, most likely female, want to talk to me about my guitar. And probably as a result of that, half a dozen guys making snide remarks to each other about my sexual preference.

20. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is precisely why I get a kick out of people insisting that they lug around their 100 lb, $4000, enough wattage to play arenas boutique amp to local bar gigs.
    I mean, I get it to a degree - you're probably going to play better if you're happy with the magical tone you're getting. But don't expect it to make one damn bit of difference to roughly 98% of your audience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.