We're all being suckered......

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Franblanc, you just happened to buy the one Tele that is heralded as biggest bang for the buck. Thousands of fanatic owners, who would go to hell and back, to get their Classic Vibe back ( if stolen by thieving demons) I guess you will just just have to trudge through playing a good guitar. I feel for you man.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
“Duped” might be a little strong…and derogatory…

Nowadays, there are good-to-great guitars at all price points. That’s not saying a more-expensive/higher-end guitar is a ripoff. The high end stuff is more likely to hold resale value; also, there will be features unavailable on the low-end guitars.

In today’s world, the lowest-end Squier can be used for a serious gig, straight out of the box, or at least with a minimum of setup. The guitarist in my daughter’s band is a quirky guy who will do experiments with his gear, like, “I’ll buy the cheapest Telecaster I can find, do a good setup (he has tech skills, even having built a few guitars in his youth) and use it exclusively for a year…”

And that’s what he did. He bought a Squier Tele and used it for several gigs and jams, etc…and it’s a good-sounding, good-playing, good-looking guitar…it works very well.

He won’t stick with this forever—he prefers humbuckers and 24-fret necks—but he proved this point to himself and the world at large, so he’s happy.

Back in the 50’s and 60’s, you were more likely to get a “better”, more playable guitar with greater tuning stability with an American-made instrument. A lot of the bargain-brand guitars (especially imports) were looked down on, and in some cases, rightfully so.

However, there were gems in those El Cheapo guitars as well—especially for the person who knew how to tweak the setups. Some of those “cruddy” guitars are now collectible and people seek them out.

IMHO, the best bang for your buck are the higher-end Ensenada-made Fender guitars—especially if you buy used. Both of my Teles are MIM, and they compete very well or even equal my American-made Strat and vintage (?) G&L F-100…

But I don’t think a person has been duped or gypped by buying a high-end American or Custom Shop guitar. If those are the features or style or looks (or even “status”) they want, they are getting what they pay for.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
And you're absolutely right in that. But if you buy used, you're not supporting said system anymore and that's commendable IMO.
Nah, I don't agree with this.

If someone who bought a MIC doesn't like it, but can easily turn it over to someone else, he's free to buy another MIC and another and another.

But if a guy bought a MIC and couldn't give it away, then he might well quit buying them and perhaps return to buying Ensenada or whatever.

The principle is the same for the Surabaya Squiers, of course.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Franblanc, you just happened to buy the one Tele that is heralded as biggest bang for the buck. Thousands of fanatic owners, who would go to hell and back, to get their Classic Vibe back ( if stolen by thieving demons) I guess you will just just have to trudge through playing a good guitar. I feel for you man.
I know you have a different message here, for another member.........

But to me, one of the key reasons a number of guys here at TDPRI bought one or more CVs, was they could keep it at church or at work or behind the bar someplace and not sweat bullets if it went missing or someone wrecked it while horsing around with it.

I think it caught on because the anxiety of something happening to the inexpensive guitar, was pretty much absent and these guys (at least) went on to bigger and better things when something bad happened to their nice but very affordable little guitar. Genuine fanatic owners who would go even 1/4 mile towards he11, nah, I don't think so. I think I most respect the guys who were just being dead pragmatic about what they were buying and why and will be fine no matter what happened to their CV.

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Just a question for all of you who buy cheap guitars and then spend money to upgrade them so they are better: By the time you spend all the money on the upgrades, depending on how far you go that is, how much have you really saved vs. getting a better guitar with better electronics, etc. to begin with??
Quite a lot. I changed quite a few things on my CVC Squier 60s Tele. New pickups and wiring £70, new bridge £15, new tuners £20, new control plate and knobs £11, new string tree £3, new strap buttons £8, new Fender brass saddles, which I bought for another project, but never used cost £20, and finally jack socket plate £10. So, £157 in total, plus the CVC at the time cost me £324, so all in all £481 in total. The pickups were Tex/Mex which I love. The wiring was cloth, the work I did myself, so no labour costs. I also did a fret polish, but everything else was perfect. My other guitars are Fender MIM, but with this Squier MII I wanted to see how much I could upgrade without spending an absolute fortune, so I suppose it can be done.

msalama

Tele-Holic
perhaps return to buying Ensenada

Yeah, but folks will buy new MIC / MII anyway, regardless of what you may or may not do or prefer. So buy used if you want one, and you're at least not supporting said system directly.

OTOH, folks purchasing new Squiers would certainly buy Ensenada instead, if Ensenada could produce their stuff as cheaply as Indo. But they can't...