Went to see the Joe Walsh show..err ,I mean Eagles show sat night.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by highwayman, Jul 20, 2015.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

For me, rock'n'roll would never sound like "The whole thing was for lack of a better term...scripted and sterile"

which is how you described it in your first post....

I'm just trying to keep up... hey, if you had a great time, awesome. I've seen the Eagles at least 20 times (but not since 1980) and it was always a good show. Back then I don't believe you could use flash photography at ANY rock show I attended (hundreds) and recording the show would have gotten you arrested or beat up or both...

But that was true at any rock show. Jazz shows were more open about that stuff... and the grateful dead..

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well regardless of whether Joe Walsh still enjoys playing with the Eagles as much he did before Don Felder left I don't enjoy them as much live any longer without those two feeding off one another and though I like Timmy Schmidt he's not Randy Meisner either as a player or a vocalist.

I saw them once while Felder was still with them and that's good enough for me. I still like their tunes so thanks for the memories Eagles!

3. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Are you "The Dude"?.....;)

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

I must have missed the documentaries that have been discussed here.

Anyone have any specific links?

5. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Love the Eagles, but would not pay that kind of money to see them.

About a year ago, the family went to see one of those "Music of the Eagles" shows with the Jackson Symphony Orchestra (touring band that teams up with the local symphony). Turns out it was a GREAT show for only about $20 each. They did classic hits, Don Henley solo stuff, and the entire Hotel album.

Oh yeah...when the gray-haired lady with the violin got up and RIPPED the solo on Hotel California, I just about crapped my pants.

6. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Was don felder playing with them??

7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

"The History Of The Eagles" from this past year and "Hell Freezes Over" from 1994 can both be found on Amazon. The first documentary was shown on Showtime before it was released to the public.

History of the Eagles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BSBUZPK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bIARvb8831AA2

The Eagles Hell Freezes Over https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077BIYPS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kMARvbGKAEXJ2

The first DVD set, "History Of The Eagles", has the documentary on two DVDs. The first DVD covers their early days and rise to fame and the breakup of the band while the second DVD covers the time afterwards until and up to the reunion in '94 and goes extensively into Walsh's problems with drugs and alcohol (not that the rest of the band didn't have their own issues with drugs).

The third DVD in the set is a concert film - but I'm not so sure that the concert is fully complete because you watch it and then.....BANG! The show is over with! Kinda makes me think that they edited out a lot of the concert (it's from '77, by the way). Ironically, it's the part of the entire set that I don't much like because I feel like the concert was deliberately short - even in '77.

8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

70's don Henley looks like Bob Ross lol

9. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!​

I read the four pages of posts to see if anybody gets it.

I'll add this.

It's Colonel Fry and Lt Colonel Henley who work in General Azoff's - Eagles Inc Tribute band.

Joe is still very awesome but he is just trying to keep that string of ex-wives attorney's off his neck.

$200.00? Good seats at a MLB game are $100 ea plus parking. So two people are easy $225. 27 outs and some fireworks at the end. No harmony, No lights, No tone

$200 doesn't seem that out of line if the show is good.

Some shows pay $200 / some shows cost $200.

Some shows pay $400 / some shows cost $400.

Eagles for $200, NFW!

Clapton and Winwood for $400, sure.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I highly recommend going to see newer, younger bands in small venues. Cheaper and far better experience (in MY opinion).

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^Go see Sturgill Simpson for instance or Marty Stuart or Calexico or TP and HB's - cheaper, smaller venues, less restrictive and none of them violate the golden rule of music - ( even historical reenactment music) :

Never see a band where some of the people on stage are less important than the manager...

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I think Henley kicked Felder out. You should check out Felder interview on Howard Stern. Awesome interview.

13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Now that is great advice.

14. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

I saw them in 1996 on the Hell Freezes Over reunion tour my senior year of high school. and it was a good show....despite being outdoors with non stop cold rain, lol. Still can't believe they played Hotel California first though!!

Tix were $45 but it was the Eagles!! I went to concerts a lot in high school and for a few years after but it's so darn expensive now.

15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I saw the History tour earlier this year, and thought it was great.

The mix was good to great, as was the playing/singing.

A very, very good show.

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

As someone who really hates nostalgia, it's a mystery why anyone would spend that kind of dough to see a scripted, formulaic performance in s stadium. Communion with like minded persons? Recovery of lost youth?

At least at a Bob Dylan show you get a large dose of unscripted craziness, some of which works and some of which doesn't, but it's a living thing, not the embalmed corpse of the 70s.

Also cannot ever forgive the Eagles for inflicting "Hotel California" on an otherwise innocent public. Every time I hear that horrible song my blood pressure rise and I clench my teeth in a fight or flight response.

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

All shows are scripted ... even "unscripted" shows. I got no problem with that. I'd rather see a show that sounds similar to the album, than something "real" that is less than the album. Eh, if I am drinking beers at a small venue and listening for basically free, the artists can get creative and I like that too.

But when I pay mega-$$, I wanted to see my favorite songs done by the artists themselves (as best as can be live). It followed my Complete Greatest Hits album very well. I was not disappointed, in fact was very impressed at the song selection and just the amount of music they covered. The show had to be at least 3 hours long.

Hotel California was done especially well.

Joe and the stand-in nailed the double solo part.

Excellent!!!

18. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Went to see them in New Orleans in 2009. No rules. They put on a great show, played for 3 hours with a 20 minute break. Started off with the "Long Road Out of Eden" (then new) songs. After the break they did they old songs. Joe Walsh did his thing, and I agree, he stole the show. I'm glad to know the tickets haven't gone up since 2009. They were $200 back then, too.:D

19. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

I saw The Eagles on the Hotel California tour. That was enough "meh..." for me!
    I left feeling bored, I'd like to see Joe without those guys though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.