Went To See American Sniper Last Night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jamie Black, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I know there's quite a few movie buffs and a number of war movie enthusiasts on the board so I'll present my very amateurish review for your pleasure. I know it's a well known story but I won't give any spoilers since it's a new release.

Personally, I thought the movie was excellent, Clint Eastwood did a fantastic job with this movie! I felt no Hollywood slant or hidden agenda, just a story told plain and simple.

Being a war movie I would like to point out that it's not like Fury which the entire movie takes place in theater. American Sniper is laid out more like Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers so roughly half the movie focuses on Chris Kyle's 4 tour's in Iraq and the rest covers his personal life and his transformation after being exposed to war.

The imagery can be downright brutal, not pulling any punches but not on the level of Saving Private Ryan. The gore is limited to short bursts through out the movie.

The theater was packed and my friend and I were lucky to get two seats together that weren't in the first three rows. The people who came out to see the movie were anywhere from late 30's to late 60's and there were many couples past the age of 55. This is the first time I recall seeing a show that the audience applauded when the lights came up and the credits rolled. All in all I think it's a very good picture and well worth the price of admission if you like going to the movies.

2. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I definitely need to see this movie - thanks for the review.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great review Jamie, I've been wanting to see this movie. The only time I can recall an audience applauding as the lights came on was Forest Gump.

4. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Wife and I are going to watch it soon. Thanks for the review

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I saw the movie 3 days ago. I absolutely love it. It is such a good movie. If you like "Flags of our father" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" you will like this.

So I give it 9/10.

7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I liked both of those movies & am looking forward to 'Sniper'.

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just saw it, great story, average movie

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I liked it. The Syrian Olympian mirror plot was the most interesting aspect for me. I was familiar with Chris Kyle's life going in. It's a good movie about a great American.

I've seen a number of Oscar contenders. Thus far I've got it as follows:

Birdman
    Boyhood
    American Sniper
    Imitation Game

The only other film that's up for best picture that I'm anxious to see is Whiplash. Grand Budapest may be good but The Royal Tenenbaums hit the sweet spot for me years ago and he won't top it. Selma will be good, I'm sure. The Theory of Everything will be cable/DVD for me. Maybe it will surprise me and be awesome.

10. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I went in really wanting to like it, but never really felt connected. There was very little character development outside of Kyle, and even he seemed somewhat one-dimensional to me. The acting was good I suppose, and visually I thought it was very good. It seemed to allude to a number of human conflicts and broader contexts, but that was it.

Plus, why couldn't they use any real babies in the scenes with Kyle and his wife? It was weird watching them act like this clearly rubberized doll was an infant.

11. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for the review. I've seen the preview on tv and look forward to watching it.
    Jim

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll probably go check it out, thanks for the review.

13. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

Saw it recently and thought it was really very good. I very much liked the non-acting acting, real folks don't always have heavy well thought out things to say, we do a lot of that i'm gonna fix that tomorrow talk. Watching him close himself off in order to do what he had to do was fascinating. The commitment of the folks on the other side was thought provoking. They are willing to pay the price.

14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I just don't understand the fascination with this guy or the movie.

15. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Deleted

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  16. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

Great review, as this movie already made $90.2 million in three days.

17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I think the movie strikes a chord with American audiences for a number of reasons. It's timely. It gives the layperson a glimpse at the cause and effect of PTSD. It heralds a throwback style plot with the conflict, protagonist and antagonist clearly defined. It features a top Hollywood director and top box office draw actor.

The fact that so many will knee jerk support or distaste for the film, many without even viewing it, contributes to the understanding of Kyle's dilemma. Risking the understatement of the century, it must not be easy being a Seal. This film makes it clear.

The film is Eastwood's and Cooper's. It's not really an ensemble piece. The wife was good and the brother didn't have much to work with. The grunts did their job along the periphery of the plot. The Iraq scenes of Cooper interacting with the Marines didn't nearly give me the tension that I felt when watching the cast of Fury exchange banter from within their tank en route to Berlin.

*Spoiler* Off topic re: Birdman...

If Birdman concluded like American Sniper, Birdman would've been a uniquely stellar film. The cast was awesome. Just brilliant. The score was edgy and cool, the direction was in-your-face and OTT. It worked. It all worked for me except the conclusion. If you see American Sniper and you love movies, you owe it to yourself to catch Boyhood and Birdman and decide best picture rankings for yourself.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wonder how different the chord is for non-American audiences.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

No doubt it's different for those in other countries. This movie can't possibly fail here. It's good guys, bad guys, and guns, AND has Clint Eastwood mentioned in the same breath. It doesn't matter a whole lot how the rest of the world sees it, they'll go for various reasons if only to root for what we perceive as the bad guys, and to say how crummy the movie is, as they sniff their little wine glasses and munch on tiny bits of cheese. It's all in the eyes of the beerholder.

Clint Eastwood has pulled off one last hit, at the age of 84!!!! Way to go Clint baby, (not you Lerb):lol::lol::lol:

Clint recently divorced, he's no doubt fixin' to go after a young hottie ONE MORE TIME! Let's not talk about old banana nose, she's long gone anyway!

Me and the missus are going tomorrow, the crowd should be thinned out a little by then.

20. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I am from Denmark and I like it :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.