Went to Play It Loud exhibit in NYCo th

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BCblues55, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM.

1. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

We went to the Play It Loud exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art a couple of days ago. Overall, it’s an incredible collection of gear. Highly recommended.

Highlights (for me) included:

Chuck Berry’s ES-350T
    John Lennon’s Rickenbacker
    Eric Clapton’s Brownie Strat
    Eric’s The Fool SG
    Prince’s Telecaster
    Sprngsteen’s Telecaster
    Joe Strummer’s Telecaster
    Muddy Waters’ Telecaster
    Pete Townsend’s P90 SG
    Jimmy Page’s #1 Les Paul
    Eddie Van Halen’s Frankenstein Strat
    Other instruments from the Everlys, St. Vincent, Tina Weymouth, George Harrison, Tom Morello, John Entwistle, Angus Young, Jimi, Elvis, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards (but not Macawber-still on tour), Neil Young, Dylan, Kooning Mitchell, Don Felder, McCartney, Joan Jett, Steve Miller (a LOT), etc.

It also featured several good videos from Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen and Tom Morello about how they got into music and what playing guitar means to them.

And literally dozens of other iconic instruments. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime collection.

That being said, I was a little surprised/disappointed that I didn’t see B.B. King’s Lucille, Brian May’s Red Guitar, any David Gilmour guitars, any Billy Gibbons guitars (would have loved to see one of the fuzzy guitars from Eliminator), any Rickenbacker bass (hello, Chris Squire!), Steve Cropper’s Telecaster, Ry Cooder’s Coodercaster. Oh well.

I asked a docent about how instruments were chosen, and evidently there was a lot of negotiation tha took place. Of course, lots of musicians (like Keith)are touring and don’t want their gear unavailable for the duration of the exhibit. And others perhaps don’t want to take a chance. That’s reasonable, I guess.

Given all of that, I think this may be the single biggest collection of “important” instruments I’m likely to see in my lifetime. Again, well worth the effort, if you are able to see it.

They tell me the exhibit will be in New York until October 1 and then at the Rock and a Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland from November 20 through September 2020.

Enjoy!

coloradojeff, Chip, Slip Kid and 3 others like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bring it to Texas!! Along with NAMM!! We get the Strawberry Festivalo_O

coloradojeff likes this.
  3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Going this weekend, I will be in town for another event, but will make time to check it out. Not long ago I found out I own a example of a set of timbalies that are in the Met's collection, although I don't know that they are in this show.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We've gone twice already, and will likely be going back at least once more before it closes.

And I hear tell of a concert to close the exhibit featuring Jimmy Vaughn and Steve Miller. We're members at the Met, so I might be able to wedge my way into that one.

- D

Tommy Biggs and BCblues55 like this.
  5. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm going next week. Are the Stones touring somewhere? I was hoping Keith's guitar would be back in the rotation.

6. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I went with my family in July and was totally overwhelmed by what was on display. There many items I had no idea would be there (Clapton’s “Fool” SG and Jimmy Page’s recently recovered Black Beauty LP Custom).

I going back tomorrow to take it all in again!

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’m planning to go next month can’t wait.

8. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Holy C - - P !

Being that I live in the Cleveland area, you just made my day!

I’m so excited I just did a cartwheel!

A lot of that collection has spent most of it’s post playing time at the Hall of Fame and is now returning with even more stuff.

Now I have to go ice my back, it’s been a long time since I’ve done a cartwheel.

BigDaddyLH, Bikersluggo and Slip Kid like this.
  9. BCblues55

I think they’ve finished the tour, but the guitar wasn’t back yet. My guess is they won’t bring it back to NewYork for only a couple of weeks. Hopefully, it will be back in Cleveland.

Chip likes this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

This exhibit was organized while Gilmour's collection was being curated for auction.

Bob

11. BCblues55

I flipped through the (excellent) show book yesterday and solved a riddle. There’s a display wall in the exhibit with a blank space in between Derek Trucks’ SG and Angus Young’s SG. There’s a sign that simply says”This object has been removed from the exhibit.”

Reading through the book, it appears that Duane Allman’s SG, the one Dicky Betts gave him that Duane used for slide, was supposed to be part of the exhibit. None of the docents or museum staff I spoke with could tell me what guitar was there originally, and I hadn’tread The book yet, so I didn’t know to ask about that specific guitar.

For those of you visiting later this month, perhaps you could ask and let me/us know. Thanks.

FYI, I saw Duane’s SG (which is now owned by Graham Nash) at the Rock Hall of Fame a couple of years ago, so hopefully it will be back when the exhibit gets to Cleveland.

Finally, the Met has its own collection of musical instruments which are not included in this exhibit. If you get to the exhibit later this month, be sure to check them out too!

Enjoy!

12. BCblues55

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

Bob Womack likes this.
  13. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Here’s the answer to what happened to Duane’s SG.....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gu...s-gibson-sg-sells-for-dollar591000-at-auction

Apparently the new owner picked it up

14. BCblues55

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Enjoyable.. although I found an error ( the harmonicas are in a repurposed cornet case not a clarinet case..to whom do I write!?!)
    I was surprised just how worn Springsteen’s “Esquire” was, not much left there. Jeff Beck’s looks pretty much as I suspected. As photos of these were the first Telecaster type guitars I remember seeing, it was somewhat of a full circle event to see them together.

BTW the book is quite nice and is on sale from both the MET and Amazon, ( slightly less from the big A) Well worth having.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.