Went to Guitar Center yesterday.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're close to the Roseville GC, might as well head a little bit north and go to Huber and Breese. Best music store in that area.
That's comparing apples to oranges, I was replying to the OP's post about visiting his first GC, not better shops in the area.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
As others said inventory depends on the store and their trade policy has been the same for ages and depending on what I am selling can be worth it for me.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
My local GC is just chock full of instruments. Better than 2 years ago. The used section is pretty good but the good pieces don't last long.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
The GC in my town (southeastern MA) is pathetic. Over the last few years, they've cut their inventory by AT LEAST 60%. The last time I went in (pre-pandemic), I swore I wouldn't bother going back.

On the flip side, there's a Music-Go-Round about 45 minutes away that has great trade-in rates, a constantly changing inventory, and great people.

Knowing exactly the stores you're talking about, I agree. MGR is my go-to if I can. Nice people, entertaining gear. They take in stuff that GC wouldn't touch, like raw speakers, guitar parts, and old weird synths and junk. It reminds me of what was good about Daddy's Junky Music before they folded - the difference being that MGR is still in business because their broken stuff is working broken, as opposed to Daddys' broken broken. I keep an eye on the MGR inventory online and pay them a visit every once in awhile - and inevitably find things that weren't on the website but I can't live without. It's about 45 minutes from me, too, which I don't mind, but with the price of gas lately, there's a GC in the town where I work, and they're good enough to sell me strings.

If you're ever in the mood for a road trip, for some reason the GC in Nashua, NH has a used section that's about 30% better than most. No idea why. They also somehow paid me an unreasonable amount for a Marshall 4x12 once.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
On the flip side, there's a Music-Go-Round about 45 minutes away that has great trade-in rates, a constantly changing inventory, and great people.

I live on the north side of Indy. At 1 mall we have a GC, Sam Ash and a Music Go Round within walking distance of each other. GC is FAR better than the other two. MGR is the worst. Their used prices are laughable and they’ve started stocking no-name new junk guitars. Their trade ins are the worst of the 3 as well.

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Last time I was in the GC that's about 5 miles from me I asked why they never have any of the higher end, Custom Shop Fenders, Gibsons, etc. An employee told me that they (GC) has different level/tier stores with the higher levels getting the best inventory. The store near me he said was a level 3 which is why they get the run of the mill stuff.
You have to go on a regular basis though because they do get some cool used gear but great deals are few and far between.
That would explain my bewilderment the first time I went to the new GC out here, but it's in a bougie area and it's their headquarters' store?! The most expensive guitar I saw was an Am Pro II. Nothing vintage.

Now the Sherman Oaks store in the 90s was like a hands-on museum/art gallery for a kid... wonder what it's like now 😬

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
It reminds me of what was good about Daddy's Junky Music before they folded - the difference being that MGR is still in business because their broken stuff is working broken, as opposed to Daddys' broken broken . . . They also somehow paid me an unreasonable amount for a Marshall 4x12 once.
Ha!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I haven't been to a GC in several years now. I actually can't remember the last time I went, but it was kind of like walking into funeral that was already in progress. Ten to twelve years ago, it was a bright and airy carnival experience. The times they are a changing.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
There are 5 GCs in the Phoenix area. Inventory got really low in 2020-21 but has started climbing. I went to the Mesa AZ store a week ago to pick up a used Classic Vibe Strat purchased by my daughter and was stunned at how full the guitar wall was.

As to trades/buys, GC is very transparent. They will give you cash out the door for 60% of the price that they will post on your item. Seems like a fair deal to me.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
We have 2 GCs in the Jacksonville area, one across the river from me and one just a few miles away right off an interstate. I was in the closer one just a couple of weeks ago checking out some different guitars for necks.Their guitar walls were pretty well stocked with a lot of variety and even their used area had some good stock. The place wasn't real busy (who is these days?), but they let you try stuff and browse without looking over your shoulder.

There's actually a Sam Ash location right across the road, ironically in the spot where the GC used to be before they moved to their current, bigger shop. I went in to check it out as I never even knew it was there. The place really disappointed me, dreary and kind of disorganized. As a kid growing up on Long Island, their big stores in Huntington and in Manhattan where THE places to shop. I guess that hasn't applied here.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
Corporate chain stores are what they are.

They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
GC in Columbus is quite lackluster in comparison to Guitar Guys in Heath Ohio, so I rarely bother going there, or to Samash. The 2 MGRs in the greater Columbus area are typically better stocked than Samash as far as amps go, but the Gahanna one is a crap shoot for instruments. Last time I went to GC amp shopping, I decided it was no longer going to be what it was. Inventory flow issues plus high demand, the non chain store in Heath is just better.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
GC's trade-in offers, as others have mentioned, tend to be about 50% of comparable items currently on offer on eBay, Reverb, etc. That is the same as all other shops in this area - Guitar Showcase, Starving Musician, etc. If you can get better go for it. I also factor in my time to deal with things like preparing something for Reverb at about $100/hour. I've done OK buying stuff used there the past few years but am currently in a low part of the GAS cycle (he said).

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The one near me is overflowing with inventory. No they don’t have much high end stuff or boutique brands. They aim for ordinary consumers. They are the Target of music stores.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I've been surprised at the differences between one GC to another, inconsistency I would call it.

If you have a chance, go to a Sam Ash. the one in Vegas is awesome! And of course there's sweetwater in IN.

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
I go to nearby GC's every 6 months to remind myself why I don't go to GC.......works every time.

I will add that I have (and will continue to) bought used (pedals) from the website and had delivered to home.
Some good deals to be had, and their return policy is nice.
I go to nearby GC's every 6 months to remind myself why I don't go to GC.......works every time.

^^^Yess! Exactly..

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
The GC in my town (southeastern MA) is pathetic. Over the last few years, they've cut their inventory by AT LEAST 60%. The last time I went in (pre-pandemic), I swore I wouldn't bother going back.

Attleboro?

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
Knowing exactly the stores you're talking about, I agree. MGR is my go-to if I can. Nice people, entertaining gear. They take in stuff that GC wouldn't touch, like raw speakers, guitar parts, and old weird synths and junk. It reminds me of what was good about Daddy's Junky Music before they folded - the difference being that MGR is still in business because their broken stuff is working broken, as opposed to Daddys' broken broken. I keep an eye on the MGR inventory online and pay them a visit every once in awhile - and inevitably find things that weren't on the website but I can't live without. It's about 45 minutes from me, too, which I don't mind, but with the price of gas lately, there's a GC in the town where I work, and they're good enough to sell me strings.

If you're ever in the mood for a road trip, for some reason the GC in Nashua, NH has a used section that's about 30% better than most. No idea why. They also somehow paid me an unreasonable amount for a Marshall 4x12 once.

Hey @Ben Harmless have you checked out Matt’s Music down towards the south shore? How about The Music Emporium in Lexington? Absolutely drool worthy stuff I never see outside of photos online, and magazines.
You may already be aware of it this. But if you’re going to make the trek to NH, skip GC and head over to Manchester Music Mill!! No sales tax, great guys that know their stuff but won’t chase and badger you for commission $.
One if the larger inventories in the northeastern New England area, that’s constantly bringing in new stuff. I regularly see price ranging from unobtainable 11,000$ Fodera Basses to really great deals on used Custom Shop Les Paul’s & Martin’s. They always keep stock of really cool unique, small scale & one man local area tube amp & pedal designers.
***My favorite part, this shop had the largest in stock pedal selection I’ve ever seen! They literally have an entire pedal ROOM!! :)

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
The one by my brother's house is absolutely horrible (Plymouth Meeting, PA). He ordered a speaker online for pickup and I stopped in there 2 hours later to pick it up. They gave me the runaround claiming they had 4 in stock, yet no one could find any of them. After I left, my brother called to find out what the hell was going on. They then told him they rerouted the order to the Oxford Valley store and he can pick it up there. He calls the store an hour later to check on the order and, what a shock! they have no record of an order being forwarded to them. That store also claimed to have some in stock and he could come and pick one up if he wanted to. When my brother called the Plymouth Meeting store back to get the story, the store manager wound up getting snippy with him.

It's not just GC, although they really suck big time lately. It's everywhere. Basic customer service is becoming a thing of the past. People just don't care anymore and whatever is on their phones is certainly more important than helping a customer.