Went to Guitar Center yesterday.

GrandpaBill

TDPRI Member
My first time in a Guitar Center and was I ever disappointed. I have bought things from them on the internet and had delivery.
I was expecting something great but it was actually pretty small not a lot of choice , almost no used section and maybe 12 Fender Strats in the whole store.
I went to ask about trade in policy and wasted my time , I knew it would be bad news but , I least I left laughing ( at their offer ).

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
GC is all about making a profit, so their trade in values are about half of what the item goes for retail.

Our GC down in Texas is usually chock full of instruments, but I am seeing that most are the inexpensive kind.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
Walking into Guitar Center is a crapshoot. Some are well stocked, some aren’t. Sometimes an employee is very knowledgeable, usually they’re not. I’ve only been to a handful but that’s my experience. Don’t trust their store inventory based on the website. I’ve driven to the next town over to buy a guitar only to find out they sold it days ago and they didn’t bother removing it from their website.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP, don't know which GC you went to, I'm guessing MI, since that's your location, but, if you're in Metro Detroit, the one on Gratiot in Roseville has a huge inventory, especially used gear. Check them out if you're in that area.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My GC...next town over...was poorly stocked up until a few weeks ago---result of the pandemonium I suppose. In any event, they have a pretty good inventory right now, and plenty of used stuff.

I made a trade there a couple of weeks ago. I took in seven items that would have taken me months to sell, and traded...I just checked, and four of the items are still there. A loss? Maybe, but I wasn't using any of those items, and I was able to push the price of an expensive amp head and cab down to a figure that seemed almost reasonable. GC has the corporate structure to advertise and sit on an item until they get the price they want...I do not.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Yeah.... there was a time when my local GC would actually give pretty darn good trade in values, I even made money from time to time, but the mgmt changed several years ago and it's not been the same since. My GC is usually stocked pretty well otherwise. I think it depends on the location.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Last time I was in the GC that's about 5 miles from me I asked why they never have any of the higher end, Custom Shop Fenders, Gibsons, etc. An employee told me that they (GC) has different level/tier stores with the higher levels getting the best inventory. The store near me he said was a level 3 which is why they get the run of the mill stuff.
You have to go on a regular basis though because they do get some cool used gear but great deals are few and far between.

GrandpaBill

TDPRI Member
OP, don't know which GC you went to, I'm guessing MI, since that's your location, but, if you're in Metro Detroit, the one on Gratiot in Roseville has a huge inventory, especially used gear. Check them out if you're in that area.
I went to Saginaw had to drive almost 3 hrs round trip , I live further north in the woods

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The GC in my town (southeastern MA) is pathetic. Over the last few years, they've cut their inventory by AT LEAST 60%. The last time I went in (pre-pandemic), I swore I wouldn't bother going back.

On the flip side, there's a Music-Go-Round about 45 minutes away that has great trade-in rates, a constantly changing inventory, and great people.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My first time in a Guitar Center and was I ever disappointed. I have bought things from them on the internet and had delivery.
I was expecting something great but it was actually pretty small not a lot of choice , almost no used section and maybe 12 Fender Strats in the whole store.
I went to ask about trade in policy and wasted my time , I knew it would be bad news but , I least I left laughing ( at their offer ).

Well it's not a Mecca - those days are long over when a Store was stocked to the gills with gear - and Guitar Centers are geared toward what they sell - if you store doesn't sell high/mid level gear most of the time - you aren't going to see it - My Guitar Center has a pretty good mix of Guitar gear - but seems to not have a lot of Amps - A lot of DJ/Recording/Keyboard gear too - A far as trades go they are in business to make a profit - you're not going to get more than 40% to 50% of what they can sell it for - sometimes less if is something they won't move very fast - but all the Big Box Music Stores tend to be like this - there is a Sam Ash across the street - and that store looks like a Trainwreck.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
My local GC is usually well stocked with Gibson Les Paul's and Fender Teles, but the Squire and Epiphones inventory is spotty.

GC's used inventory moves fast because it is all online. It is my favorite way to purchase guitars. If you find a good deal, you need to jump on it; it likely won't be there in a couple of hours. Decent deals (compared to the current inflated used market), no haggling, and a good return policy.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
They’re all different in different cities. Last one I went to had easily 50+ Les Pauls. 50+ Strats and Teles including CS models.

And used gear trade in value MUST be less than the store can buy new for wholesale. Why is that concept so challenging?

davidchagrin

Tele-Afflicted
If you're close to the Roseville GC, might as well head a little bit north and go to Huber and Breese. Best music store in that area.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
The larger markets have better inventory for better quality or vintage because there are more of the guitars in those locations. Also, those stores keep a list of people that buy vintage and will call them first so the public may never see a great vintage guitar for sale there. In the past several years I have noticed that they under price these for a quick sale so I have gotten several great deals. Any one can do this just talk to the manager and let them know you are interested and then actually buy stuff and not be a looky loo. If you never buy anything you will just waste their time and yours. Last year this is how I got my 64 Firebird, it sold before anyone saw it and I had expressed interest later the guy who bought it changed his mind and a friend at the store called me and I put money on it over the phone five minutes after the original transaction was cancelled. You only have three days to return vintage guitars so you should know what you are buying. Still plenty of time to check it out if you know what to look for.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Most of the guitar oriented guitar shops I’ve been to are a crapshoot. Some great, many no better than the worst GC. Why do we expect so much more? Guitars are guitars. And the trade in complaint in all these threads? Just go to the next guitar store and see what they will give you. I would be very surprised if it’s a penny more.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
I've been dropping by my local Guitar Center every month or two just to see how the inventory has changed, and the good news is that it's getting better. I'd estimate my local store at around 50 percent of what they stocked before the pandemic. It's not that they want to be poorly stocked, it's a supply chain issue. Lots of stuff is still on backorder even for online merchants.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Just visited two GCs in Mpls. Decent inventory and used. I have no expectations, just want to grab stuff and see how it feels. I rarely plug in. Saw a nice Gretsch G2420 hollowbody, not my color but feels/plays good.

One GC had all levels of acoustics ready to grab, one had all acoustics over $1000 locked up. I didn't bother with those.

I have no problem ordering online from GC. Where else am I going to get a 45 day trial for only the cost of shipping it back? Only returned a couple in 10 years.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I used to go to GC Tampa and/or GC Lakeland about once a month to see what's new. With high test gas being about $6/gallon here in Tampa I figure it will cost me about $10 each round trip. So I don't go there anymore to browse... Sam Ash Tampa is near my dentist so I do go there sometimes. But they don't carry many MIA guitars ... only low-end stuff. But they do carry Hercules stands so I did buy one of those. My big purchase for 2022 (so far).