Went kayakiing yesterday....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

....with my wife and her sister. What a beautiful day, and so much fun!

Catamount Reservoir up near Pikes Peak. Even though 45 degrees when we started at 9:30am, it was surprisingly not that cold. Not until the clouds moved in and the breeze kicked up.

We had a blast and my core is sore this morning. Feels GOOD! :)

Kayaking.jpg

We bought inflatable kayaks a couple weeks ago. They're easy to transport, take only about 10 minutes to set up, and are (supposedly) very puncture resistant. We have a new hobby!

EDIT: can't correct misspell in title :(

1293, black_doug, BigDaddyLH and 14 others like this.
  2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

What a dream .

Colo Springs E likes this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful, even though I’d be hypothermic inside of 15 minutes

I have a sit on Sea Kayak that never gets used.
    A buddy was asking about it for his son. I’ll see if he still wants it

4. Colo Springs E

stxrus, considering where you reside.... OK, I get that! haha

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

How well did the inflatable track? My wife loves the idea of inflatable. But I'm hesitant due to prior experience. Granted, it was a very cheap one. Did not track at all, and any wind picked it up and moved it.

But no racks, easy garage storage, and fits in the trunk! If we can find ones that behave as well as a decent regular kayak, we're sold. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  6. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Looks great. We bought the exact same inflatable kayak last year in the two seater version. Advanced Elements right? Ours can be quickly converted to a one seater. I think they’re great boats and a real step up in inflatable kayak design. The aluminum stays that give you that sharp bow and stern like a rigid kayak and the little skeg really makes them track nice and straight. The material seems pretty bomber too. We really like ours, have fun!

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Kayaking is a blast! I grew up in canoes, and had never tried a Yak, so I was hesitant about it at first, but holy cow is it fun! I’ve been several times now and I’d like to get my own boat.

Craig Thomas and Colo Springs E like this.
  8. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

That's awesome. We have an inflatable but yet to try it. May I ask - did you use a foot pump or some type of car charger inflater? Also, was it difficult to deflate? That's a gorgeous picture.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice. A great recreational sport. I enjoyed lots of sea kayaking before moving away from the Pacific. I canoe now, but both are very similar. Enjoy.

10. Colo Springs E

Yep, that's the one! We love 'em.

@Whatizitman, Keep in mind I'm a noobie, but yes, seemed to track fine to me, and also seemed very fast. I was surprised how much speed I could get up to. See Slap Axe's comments too, he seems more experienced.

We bought their foot pump. It has a very large cylinder, and inflates (and deflates) on both the down and up strokes, so it did not take long at all to inflate it, and to deflate it. And no, not difficult to deflate at all. There are Youtube videos, you just have to make sure you have the orientation/correct attachment selected for pumping (different ones for inflating and deflating I think).

Whatizitman and StevesBoogie like this.
  11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, sounds like fun and extra thanks for the photo.

Not gonna name names, but there's another one of our colleagues here that talks about kayaking a lot, but doesn't share photos. I think that's kind of un-neighborly, but maybe I'm just a grump.

12. Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas TDPRI Member

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

First Kayak I ever paddled, Dad and I built it in our garage. 16' long, frame and canvas. So heavy it took two people to lift it. I think the plans came out of Popular Mechanics. It was great fun and we painted it bright red with "Red Baron" WWI maltese crosses fore and aft. We ended up building kits (a different design) for the whole Boy Scout troop...and we had a ball. Eventually, I gave it to a neighbor kid who was 'challenged'. His dad told me much later that they had some of their best times together with it.

I'm in the market for a fishing kayak and there's a really nice design https://wavewalk.com/blog/ made just about an hour from here. I'm going to drive over and visit the factory and see if I can get a demo. Hard to find a good 'yak for a large person (read: "fat a$$") like myself.

14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Autumn 2015. It was a good year.

I wanted to marry her but she fell for someone else. She introduced me to kayaking though and I am grateful for that.

cid_439.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.