Went bald at a young age

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MattC, Jun 14, 2009.

1. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

I noticed it falling out when I ran my fingers through it at about 18 or so.

By 21-ish, I could see it noticably thin at the top back of my head. It really freaked me out and I started using Rogaine on it. The stuff works as long as you remember to put it on twice daily. Most of the hair came back, but if I start slacking on the application, the thinning is noticable. It doesn't do anything about your forehead, though and I have a noticable widow's peak.

2. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Been shiny for years, no problem. Lots of ladies like it, and lots of my heroes are chrome domes: Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe, Dwight Yoakam, Yul Brynner, and, of course, Deke Dickerson:

3. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

There's only one way to prevent or halt hair loss - castration.

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There are a couple of mentions here about hair falling out as a sign of hair loss. I'm only repeating what I have read, but I thought hair falls out at a steady rate. Bald guys just don't grow it back. I'm not shiny bald and brush it back. I've been told many times that I look like Kelsey Grammar. It has never bothered me at all.

5. LoveBandit

LoveBandit Tele-Meister

My Dad had the male pattern baldness but my brother (59 years old) and me (45 years old) still have EVERY hair on our heads. Sometimes I think my hair is even thicker than when I was younger.

I have TONS of other problems though, so... :cool:

-LB.

6. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Tele-Meister

That makes perfect sense although I'd never heard it before. My voice dropped in about the second grade. Beginning of school year and every substitute teacher that called roll would give me the ole, "Are you in the grade you're supposed to be in" look.

Had to start shaving the summer before third grade. By 5th grade it was twice a day. My beard doesn't stop below the chin either, meets the hair on my chest. Grows at an ALARMING rate and tough when you wear a tie everyday. I've shaved with a straight razor since 11th grade. Multy blades and disposable won't even pull thru my beard, plus ingrowns are a nightmare. I bet I've burnt the motor out of at least 6 electrics.

I just assumed all my male classmates were the same. It wasn't until I started Jr high in the 7th grade that we changed clothes for PE. That's when I noticed everyone else and they noticed me. I had a full chest of hair and a 3 day beard.

In the 70's I had a hunk of thick hay bale hair and looked like I had a football helmet with no mask. About 25 I got serious widows peak and it just kept peaking. No comb over, just cropped real short. I'm 37 now and would LOVE to shave it all off, but I have a dip in my head towards the front and had a tumor removed that left a scar I'm a bit self conscious about.

I've always blamed it on playing baseball from 4 yrs old thru college.

7. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

When I was 19 I had big hair but it was not that much quantity!
    When I got into university I cut it and two years later I assumed my baldness till this day.

Here's a after and before pics (28 and 19):

Attached Files:

• 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
    • 19.JPG
      19.JPG
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

+1.

I started balding at 18. It was a very slow process of receding and thinning. By the time I was 40, I still had some hair on top, but the scalp was definitely winning the battle for prominence. After a period of mental preparation, one day I finally shaved my head. Now, I find myself looking upon the balding with pity.

9. Sterling Indigo

Sterling Indigo Friend of Leo's

Well, some of mine is turning grey and some is turning loose. Incidentally, I appear to have more hair in other places. I guess we call that a crop rotation.

10. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I have been lucky. 46 years old and no real signs of thinning and very little grey (good genes on my mom's side). It's a double edged sword though. I hated my hair growing up. I wanted to wear it long like my favorite rock stars, but it was too out of control and unmanagable. It grew straight up - did not hang down. It was like a bowl of shredded wheat without the milk or steel wool. I was waiting for the day it would thin, thinking it would be easier to control. Now that I am older, I could care less that it's out of control and a mess, just glad it's there. Unfortunately I keep it short because it doesn't look presentable for business when I start to let it grow out.

11. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I literally have nightmares about being bald, not necessarily because of the lack of hair (from the age of 14 to about 24 I shaved my head), but because for some reason once people loose their hair they stop bothering to look good at all.

There is the problem, not the lack of hair itself, but the self-esteem problems it causes leading to a vicious circle of self loathing and not bothering. First comes the baldness then the baggy pants and the tweed jackets with arm patches.

Finally comes the BEIGE clothing!

I had the opportunity during a long dull funeral to track my genetic predisposition to baldness by looking at all my close relatives. Luckily I will never go bald as I had no direct maternal links to anyone bald. Genetics is the number one cause of baldness. There is virtually nothing in terms of lifestyle that leads to baldness. Then there is rare cases of illness. So unless I get really unlucky I'm safe.

12. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

:eek:I'll live with it ,thank you!!!:eek:

I started going bald in the front in my mid 20's. I blamed it on motorcycle helmets.

Now I have the James Gandolfini look. lol!

Yes I had a full beard when I graduated at 17. I was mistaken for a teacher whenever I dressed nice.

That's me kneeling in front.

[​IMG]

13. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not "bald" but somewhat balding in the back and a bit receded in the front. Started in my mid-twenties. I never really worried about it and it seems to change slowly every now and then. The last two years I have noticed a change and started Rogaine to see what would happen. Nothing has really grown back but maybe it has slowed the overall process? I don't really know since I started it long after any loss. I contemplated transplants since the results really do lok good these days. Met with a doctor but have yet to follow though. Anyone go through this? I am on the fence if it is really worth it or not.

Wayne

14. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

I thought this too..

I have been losing like a pound of hair a day for years. In the shower drain, in the hairbrushes, even any time I so much as run a had through my hair I get some hair off. It is worse today than ever, and my hair is bigger than ever as well. Some day I may be in for a big surprise but I do not think so any time soon. I have had a hairy chest for years (I'm talking HAIRY), my stomach and legs are even super hairy. My beard is unbelievably thick and I have not been able to comfortably take a blade to my face since high school. At 22, I am starting to get the sweater vest - a few hairs on the shoulders, some on my lower back. It isn't exactly a blessing. Luckily though, my chest/beard/head are the only parts thick enough to lose a jungle expedition in, so its not so bad. 30-something girls tend to be more psyched on it than girls my age - they lived through the days when the open-shirt/hairy chest were cool.

now if only I could stop getting fatter!

15. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I've got a little bit of the friar look------been losing shingles on the old roof now for awhile.
    I'll take that over this---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Bald is cool.
    Hiding bald is tragic beyond belief.

You just have to 'own it'.

Would you rather be:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

17. TELECASTERbstrd

TELECASTERbstrd Tele-Afflicted

Not bald yet, but I always suspected that guys that go bald before their time grew Go-tee's for that reason!
    Fascinating!

18. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

im sort of receding, but i don't think it's too bad, no worry, i'm sure in 10 years or so time i'll be able to get fibre optic hair implants that change colour within the flick of a button, or touchpad, as buttons are now obsolete, apparently.XD

19. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

I am a barber and I have seen a magical regrowth in a client who had a big friar tuck thing goin on He used a combo of rogain and propecia and it worked! never seen anything work so well,one was a topical the other a pill not sure which is which ,but together? at least for this individual it was magic

20. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, for some reason that supposedly works well. HOWEVER, Propecia is NOTORIOUS for making your hair quite vibrant and another body part quite "limp." Is it worth that????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.