Welp, I’m going down the Big Muff rabbit hole (again)

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
The saga continues. Recently picked up a Thorpy Fallout Cloud and it is stellar. I'm impressed by how it sounds with the guitar volume rolled back. Retains the high end better than most. Check it out.

Very nice. I have heard great things about this pedal, and while I am not a die hard Muff fan, I think this pedal is one I would want in that vain.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice. I have heard great things about this pedal, and while I am not a die hard Muff fan, I think this pedal is one I would want in that vain.

I guess I’d consider it a tweaked Big Muff. The “improvements” make sense, and it does sound great, but the “improvements” make it sound less like a Big Muff if that makes sense.

As nice as the Thorpy is, I think the Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace is still my current favorite.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
As nice as the Thorpy is, I think the Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace is still my current favorite.

Every time I see a big box Caprid, I am jonesing for it - the size and lack of space on my board have saved me thus far.

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
A Rangemaster Treble Booster clone in front of a Muff creates spectacular, nasty distortion.
;)
JkpanDM.jpg

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I guess I’d consider it a tweaked Big Muff. The “improvements” make sense, and it does sound great, but the “improvements” make it sound less like a Big Muff if that makes sense.

Well, I have a Fallout Cloud (a Muffroom, actually) inbound. From everything I've read, it is a Triangle Muff w/o the disadvantages. Wondering how it is "less" like a Big Muff - maybe its not as "something" but wasn't it the "something" that was its drawback?

I guess its all about what you want to hear and it seems the Fallout/Muffroom do a better job with clarity and cutting through.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
It's a hair off topic, but I have to say my favorite Big Muff mod by a wide margin is to bypass the tone section. I have a 70s BMP that came with the bypass switch and it is a huge improvement.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Well, I have a Fallout Cloud (a Muffroom, actually) inbound. From everything I've read, it is a Triangle Muff w/o the disadvantages. Wondering how it is "less" like a Big Muff - maybe its not as "something" but wasn't it the "something" that was its drawback?

I guess its all about what you want to hear and it seems the Fallout/Muffroom do a better job with clarity and cutting through.

I am by no means a Big Muff expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Fallout Cloud has sort of a chunky distortion. Doesn’t really have that smooth, fine grain distortion that I associate with a Big Muff. Also there’s a bit of a chirpy pick attack, similar to what you’d hear with a Rat.

These are not necessary bad things, but they make it different from my idea of what a Big Muff should sound like.

It’s a great pedal, and the bass and treble controls do make it a bit more versatile. I hope you love it.

For me, the Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace is the one. It is stellar. I’ve no desire to try other Muff variants. It really does the smooth, violin sustain thing beautifully.

EDIT: I should also mention, I’m running a Boss GE-7 before the Violet Menace to cut bass.

Last edited:

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
For me, the Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace is the one. It is stellar. I’ve no desire to try other Muff variants. It really does the smooth, violin sustain thing beautifully.

I definitely hear a difference between something like the Violet Menace, a Civil War variant, and a triangle variant (i.e. Fallout Cloud.) I think the triangle is the least smooth and I actually like that kind of note separation.

Its mind boggling how many different Muffs there are, and even between two older same era muffs, they can sound different. I hope and think the Fallout Cloud will do the trick for me and I won't go any deeper down the muff rabbit hole.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I definitely hear a difference between something like the Violet Menace, a Civil War variant, and a triangle variant (i.e. Fallout Cloud.) I think the triangle is the least smooth and I actually like that kind of note separation.

Its mind boggling how many different Muffs there are, and even between two older same era muffs, they can sound different. I hope and think the Fallout Cloud will do the trick for me and I won't go any deeper down the muff rabbit hole.

I guess I gravitate toward the smooth David Gilmour Big Muff tone, so it makes sense that I’d prefer the Violet Menace.

Again, I’m no Big Muff expert. I just have a particular Muff tone in my head that I’m shooting for.

I hope the Muffroom Cloud is exactly what you’re looking for. I look forward to your impressions. Please post a review.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Again, I’m no Big Muff expert. I just have a particular Muff tone in my head that I’m shooting for.

I hope the Muffroom Cloud is exactly what you’re looking for. I look forward to your impressions. Please post a review.

I thing Gilmore's tone is awesome, especially if we are talking about that solo - that sound it what turned me onto echorec style delays initially. I love that sound, but I also love Billy Corigans sound on Siamese Dream, especially that moving into part on Cherub Rock. Two totally different sounds but I like both of them.

I will definitely post a review once I have played with it some...

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I thing Gilmore's tone is awesome, especially if we are talking about that solo - that sound it what turned me onto echorec style delays initially. I love that sound, but I also love Billy Corigans sound on Siamese Dream, especially that moving into part on Cherub Rock. Two totally different sounds but I like both of them.

I will definitely post a review once I have played with it some...

How’s the Thorpy working out for you?

I have to admit, after spending some time with my Fallout Cloud, I’ve really come to appreciate it. The key for me is staking it into a Timmy to smooth it out a bit. It really is stellar. I’m loving it.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Things you regret. Had a REAL Big Muff Pi. From back in the '60s. Didn't use it (had POD for effects), so it sat around next to my Thomas Organ era Dunlop Cry Baby. Both gone now. :cry:

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
How’s the Thorpy working out for you?

I have to admit, after spending some time with my Fallout Cloud, I’ve really come to appreciate it. The key for me is staking it into a Timmy to smooth it out a bit. It really is stellar. I’m loving it.

I like it, I like it a lot. The definition of it is the amazing part to me - I like it a little "rough" as opposed to really smooth - have other fuzzes to do that liquid smooth kinda sound. This one sits right where it should, as far as I am concerned.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I like it, I like it a lot. The definition of it is the amazing part to me - I like it a little "rough" as opposed to really smooth - have other fuzzes to do that liquid smooth kinda sound. This one sits right where it should, as far as I am concerned.

That’s awesome, glad to hear that. I like that it’s not super smooth as well. It’s got a lot of character. Enjoy!

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Still loving the Naga Viper>SUF Violet Menace.

Considering the SUF Civil Unrest. Based on the online demos it seems to be a little more gnarly than the Violet Menace. Might be a nice addition to the collection. Anyone had both? Are they different enough to justify having both?

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Aw jeez. Just discovered this. Might have to give it a whirl. But, $229.99, ouch. Still, it looks pretty great.