Welp, I’m going down the Big Muff rabbit hole (again)

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Just ordered a Stomp Under Foot Violet Menace. It’s a Violet Ram’s Head with an added midrange control.

Will it be awesome and tons of fun? Yep, I’m sure of it.

Will I buy 4-6 other versions just out of curiosity? Probably.

Haven’t even received the Violet Menace and already I’m considering this beast:

https://www.wrenandcuff.com/products/j-garbage-face

Thoughts and prayers for me, and my checking account, please.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Just to make it fun you'll have to try out a late seventies op amp version. They have that seventies fuzz but when off they aren't a true bypass and act as a small clean boost. I've used one since 79 always off in my signal chain and it let me get a fantastic sound from my Strat pushing my Marshall just a little more over the edge. I've never seen a clone of that version and every one knows that all pedals Must have a True bypass. btw my old one also worked as a headphone amp, distorted when on and clean and louder when off.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Just to make it fun you'll have to try out a late seventies op amp version. They have that seventies fuzz but when off they aren't a true bypass and act as a small clean boost. I've used one since 79 always off in my signal chain and it let me get a fantastic sound from my Strat pushing my Marshall just a little more over the edge. I've never seen a clone of that version and every one knows that all pedals Must have a True bypass. btw my old one also worked as a headphone amp, distorted when on and clean and louder when off.

It's true bypass, but this one has me interested. Demos sound great:

Pumpkin Pi (stompunderfoot.com)

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
For a great Civil War Russian style muff, check out the Mojo Hand Colossus. Incredible pedal, and hugely versatile.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Let me help spend your money.

Wren and Cuff has a custom shop! https://wccustomshop.com/

Here's a Caprid (Ram's Head) they made for me. It's a fantastic muff. They are great to work with.
upload_2021-12-21_13-48-26.jpeg

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
A question for Big muff experts. I have an EHX Big Muff Green Russian. It is very midscooped and gets buried in the mix quite easily. The only solution seems to hit it with an SD-1 in front...
So my question, are all big muffs mid-scooped?

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
A question for Big muff experts. I have an EHX Big Muff Green Russian. It is very midscooped and gets buried in the mix quite easily. The only solution seems to hit it with an SD-1 in front...
So my question, are all big muffs mid-scooped?

Yes.

...which is why a lot of the "boutique" (or "clone," take your pick) versions have some sort of midrange tone shaping control.