Well this ding just happened

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boxla, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That rather simple....use some super glue around the edges of the damage to solidly the finish to the wood. Then, auto body putty or wood putty to fill the s would give a shaped and smooth edge that would not grab material of your clothing. You could stop there....or spray some black to cover the putty. One does not need to refinish the entire body, but for my purposes I would want that edge to be smooth and Imwould want to assure that more finish does not crack off with time.

Boxla likes this.
  2. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Good advice Wally. My plan was to put super glue around it tonight to stop spread. IF, I didn't want to build back up with putty, what would you recommend to put on the raw wood? I was thinking super glue for that as well just to lock it up to moisture etc. and spread.

I just ordered some Schaller S-Locks Security Strap Locks. I'm a ding and a glass of wine late but better late than never.

Thanks Guys!

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Boxla, ime, nothing would do better than auto body putty. If you don’t have that around, then a small container of wood putty is easy to get and inexpensive.
    I am old school....I never turn loose of a guitar while it is on a strap...whether there are strap locks or not.
    Side story...concerning this guitar when it was no more than a year old. I bought it new in 1967.
    169621C0-5384-4E3A-B115-2BDD1F882BFE.jpeg
    Our high school choir was rehearsing for a Lion’s Club Regional conference performance.....full choir, keyboards, and a great drummer from Texas Tech. I was taking the steps up from the hall floor to the stage with my guitar...strap on but hands on the guitar. I tripped and fell....going into those steps! Somehow in that split second and while holding that guitar to my body, I flipped,over and landed square on my back. I am glad I am quick...still am! This picture of my ‘66 ES-345TDC was taken about a month or two ago....she is a sweetheart of a guitar.
    Good luck with the repair, Boxla. Hey, after the putty treatment, you could paint a sunset/beach scene there!?!

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

The accepted number is 327.

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

That would bugger the heck out of me!

The only ding I ever got on one of my guitars was when the a/e guitar player in our church band heard his name called; he spun around and the headstock of his Taylor 310 caught the body of my tele, square in the middle of the lower bout. :eek: The resulting dimple didn't crack the poly finish on my Tele, but if you held it just right, you could see it. :(

Being the OCD guy that I am, I just couldn't bear it, so I sold it. :rolleyes:

6. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

This happened with me recently with my Esquire when my strap gave way.

Get strap locks and keep it at a level angle.

Fortunately with mine the damage wasn't too taxing

Edit:

damn ALL that paint came off? Jesus!

7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I recently bought a neglected Epi LP that had a similar spot of bare wood. I bought some matching nail polish and went to town. Ugly, but not a ugly as bare wood.

This is before, thought I had an after pic but I must have deleted it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 5.00.22 PM.png

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey before you do anything with standard superglue, check out the GluBoost site, they make CA specifically for instrument repairs, they have black CA and colored powders that you can mix with their CA and they have the only non blushing non crater or other blemish superglue accelerator.
    Check out their site for videos and more info.
    No affiliation other than I use their products and they work great! With the colored glue you wouldn't have to paint the damage just fill sand and buff.

https://gluboost.com/

https://gluboost.com/product/fill-n...h-formula-with-zero-to-minimal-witness-lines/

9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Holy cow. I was expecting to see some small dent.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Eh. Don't sweat that. It's on the back side of a guitar that already looks pretty aesthetically challenged. Just paint some nail polish of car touchup paint on it and call it good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.