Well That's a Tele Of a Different Color...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ducerro, Aug 13, 2019.

Aztec Gold or Surf Pearl?

1. Who cares - I'm not even sure why I'm voting...

15.9%
  2. Aztec Gold! Be the man! Goldfinger all the way!

43.4%
  3. Aztec Gold? Are you color blind or something? Go away little man...

2.8%
  4. Surf Pearl! Ride the waves dude!

42.1%
  5. Surf Pearl? What were you thinking? Looks like baby barf...

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You realize that TDPRI polls are binding — therefore you must choose Aztec Gold. :D

DHart and tery like this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I'll play any colour guitar...as long as it's black.

Clifton C and Ducerro like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Aztec gold looks great. So do the sea foams. If you love the color of the body - get it!

Keep in mind that a lot of these colors are only around for a season or two, then they’re G O N E.

If you really want an Aztec Gold or a Sea Foam Pearl, or whatever... strike while the iron’s HOT, or you may come up short! :(

I’ve learned that lesson a couple of times, with certain colors, in the past.

Something that you really can’t reasonably change about a guitar: the body color.

You can always get another/different neck, swap bridges, pickguards, pickups, knobs, etc. Start with a body color you absolutely love, then tweak as desired into your dreams.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

We're on the DeWitt side, 'bout two miles out of the city limits.

Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner! Not that there was a contest. I left the actual guitars in question "out of the equation" because I really just wanted to see ANYTHING in those colors with different pickguards. But yes, those are my choices. I really should have mentioned the two teles in question both had maple necks though - didn't think about that until I left the house this morning.

teletimetx likes this.
  5. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Sorry for the late replies folks. Tuesday is our "day off" and I left the farm right after I posted this thread. I had planned to check in on my smart phone during the day, but I forgot my TDPRI password so I couldn't log in.

At any rate...

Couple of points before I continue. I never asked anyone to "help" or "assist" or "choose" a color for me. I even stated the poll was for grins. My ONLY question was if anyone had any pictures of those two guitars with different pickguards. I just wanted to see what others might have come up with to dress up their choice. Also - whatever color I go with makes absolutely NO difference in the guitars playability. Although I do agree with one poster who suggested we (the collective we) might pick up a guitar we liked more often than one we didn't (color wise of course).

That said - drove 280 miles round trip today to Corpus Christi to see the Surf Pearl in person. Well... that's technically true... but what really happened was the wife and I went to Port Aransas for the day to take some goofy pirate cruise on the bay. It was her turn to chose what we did - so I had no objections. It was kinda fun, but both of us said we'd likely NOT do it again. At any rate, once we were done with the 3 hour cruise we headed over to Corpus Christi - about 40 miles - so I could see if there was a Surf Pearl anything at the GC. And there was - a nice Stratocaster in Surf Pearl with a mint green pickguard. My first impression? YUCK! The mint guard did NOT do the Surf Pearl any favors. If anything it brought out the yellow in the finish and made the whole mess look like snot. Now - before any of you who have this combo get all up in arms let me state this is MY opinion only. You rock with whatever you want! ;) It just don't float MY boat!

The Surf Pearl color is NOT Surf Green, it's NOT Sea Foam Green, and it ain't plain 'ole Green either. It's "brighter" than Surf Green and greener than the Sea Foam Green - which looks a bit blue to me. It's not exactly a pastel either. Best "looks like" I found was it kinda matches the green in a stop light.

Still trying to decide which way to go....

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Go for the gold.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

From what you've said.. it seems you have edged right up to basically deciding? Enjoy, my friend. Aztec Gold, if you go that way, is a beautiful color.

I can definitely see passing on "Stop Light Green". :lol:

(Any color is gorgeous, if you like it!) :)

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Go to the thread: A Tele I’ve been Watching for a Year Hasn’t Sold. Then find the connection to the guitar and buy that one. Offer them $1,100 and buy it for $1,200. You will get a better guitar with a beautiful case and then the person following that guitar can quit drooling over it.

So on your poll none of those choices.

9. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Heavily leaning that way now. Just reviewed the photos the wife took of me with the Strat in Surf Pearl and it wasn't anything I'd care to share! :lol: You know - the color kinda matches the emoji...

10. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I already have that guitar - only with a maple fretboard... Love it by the way - it's BEAUTIFUL! Kinda too good looking. This one will be the "knock around guitar" so I don't scar the prom queen... ;)

11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

A1A23AE4-8CDC-4ED2-B9FD-78F0FEA36E40.jpeg
    Then pastel green is least offensive. The Telecaster on the right in this picture is my favorite electric. It isn’t for sale but that is not my favorite color. The acoustic is my favorite acoustic. Both play really nicely. I do like the looks of the acoustic.

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i hate it when a guitar i like is only available in colors that i don't really like or that are kind of boring. i have two sunburst guitars because of this - i don't really like sunburst but i don't find it offensive, but i HATED the other color options.

DHart likes this.
  13. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Man do I hear you! I have a pair of twin Fender MIM Basses - one Jazz and one P - both are sunburst. Both were on sale for a ridiculous price - and ya gotta have both right? I love the sunburst on the Jazz, but not a fan on the P. Unfortunately the ONLY color offered was sunburst.

14. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

The final curtain has closed and the deal is done. After literally weeks of back and forth (in my mind) a clear winner has finally emerged. Maybe it was the 280 mile round trip to see Surf Pearl in person that finally tipped the scales. Who knows! Perhaps "who cares" would be more appropriate. :lol:

The Poll Results had 11 "who cares", 31 for "Aztec Gold", 1 "no gold", 24 for "Surf Pearl", and 1 "no pearl". So - what did I go with? I have no idea! It's a birthday present from the wife. We'll all have to tune in Saturday for the unveiling! ;)

Ya'll did note the two emoji's I used are the two colors... right?!

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

best of luck however it turns out. I've enjoyed your humor and a telecaster gift from your wife is all good. Cheers!

Ducerro likes this.
  16. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

I don’t really like either of those colors but I really don’t care for gold anything so I voted the Surf green.

Ducerro likes this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Ducerro likes this.
  18. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

You know the color isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. I'm not particularly enamored with either color myself. But what I love about this particular model is the specs - American made, 22 Jumbo frets, Texas Special pickups, and the Grease Bucket Switch. Listening to videos of this model sounded soooo sweet. Really looking forward to making this my everyday guitar!

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I can see gold on something like a Les Paul, but a tele has a workhorse pickup truck vibe to me that would be incongruous with gold plate

Ducerro and Dukex like this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

That's unfortunate. With a little more effort you could have the same specs but with a color that you absolutely love.

Of course, if color isn't important to you, ain't no big deal!

But from the intent of your thread it seemed like color had some importance to you?

I think life is too short to have guitars that aren't totally thrilling, in every way. But every one of us is a unique individual, with unique viewpoints.

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.