Well That's a Tele Of a Different Color...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ducerro, Aug 13, 2019.

Aztec Gold or Surf Pearl?

1. Who cares - I'm not even sure why I'm voting...

15.9%
  2. Aztec Gold! Be the man! Goldfinger all the way!

43.4%
  3. Aztec Gold? Are you color blind or something? Go away little man...

2.8%
  4. Surf Pearl! Ride the waves dude!

42.1%
  5. Surf Pearl? What were you thinking? Looks like baby barf...

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

So - it's my birthday month and I'm looking at picking up a new Tele. The particular one I have in mind is available in Aztec Gold or Surf Pearl - and I'm having a very hard time picking one or the other.

Obviously a color choice is entirely personal preference, but I'm hoping ya'll can get me off the fence on this one. I'm not a huge fan of anything gold - but I don't hate the color. The Surf Pearl is more pastel than anything else - not sure how I'd feel about that.

I don't like the white pickguard both come with - so the plan is to change that immediately. With that in mind - what ya'll got? Any pics of Aztec Gold or Surf Pearl Teles with cool pickguards out there??? I've been all over the internet and just can't seem to find that one shot that says this is the one...

The poll is just for fun BTW. I'm not really gonna listen to what a bunch of guitar players think about colors. Especially anyone who thinks Butterscotch looks good on a Tele (he said tounge in cheek)!

nsallison likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's how I "see" it .. you cannot hear what the color looks like... and if ya don't like the color there's 2 options... you can simply not look at it while ya play it.,, or you can just change your mind...

I don't know that there's ever been a good guitarist, playing a guitar of an ugly color that's had someone walk up and say, "Man your playin's great but that guitar's color is butt ugly." .. not even if he was playing an Antigua.. :p

rk

jjudas, UjwalB, darkwaters and 8 others like this.
  3. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

pearl is never seen aztec gold is nice

Ducerro likes this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I was right with you... until the last word. :D

Seasicksailor, Mad Kiwi and Dan R like this.
  5. DesmoTele

DesmoTele TDPRI Member

The answer is, of course, the same as it always is to such questions when asked here...both!

6. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

True, but I ain't a good guitarist! ;)

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well I have to admit, I do love good guacamole ... :)

well, unfortunately, a nice color choice isn't enough to distract anyone form the playing... :p

r

Ducerro, 8barlouie and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I have noted the Aztec Gold is $50 more than the Surf Pearl AND I see Surf Pearl guitars are the colors generally on sale... But hey, I'm a rebel and I could be rockin' those pastels!!!!

howardlo likes this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

if you don't think you look cool playing that guitar you're not going to play as well. fact.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

a town divided between Lavaca County and DeWitt County...my first thought was, well, hey if you live on the Lavaca county side, then surf pearl it is and if not, you're in DeWitt County and Aztec Gold is the way to go.

I have no idea why I would think that.

Aztec Gold. Be strong. Surf Pearl? c'mon, it looks like an easter egg that dad hid too well, and then you find it next year on one of the low hanging branches of the live oak that's in Uncle Chester's yard.

Aztec Gold.

Ducerro and srolfeca like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you need to post examples pics of these colors ;)

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

^^^ agreed.

13. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Which Tele is this that comes in those awesome colors?

14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What color is the fingerboard ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Ducerro likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Colors are awesome and play a HUGE role in so many different products from fashion to automobiles, motorcycles, glasses, guitars, furniture, tableware, and on and on and on! Never underestimate the value of color to the vast majority of consumers and guitar players included.

Some players may not care much for the colors of their guitars. That’s fine for them, as far as anyone else is concerned!

But a lot of players DO very much enjoy the colors of their guitars. And, for me, to a degree that influences which one I may pickup and play at any given time. It’s just a fun aspect of the instruments that some of us enjoy and some may not care much about. It is ALL good.

If you enjoy the colors (as SO many of us do - otherwise Fender would not offer so many colors! Nor would vehicle manufacturers and so many other producers in unlimited different industries do so.)

Bottom line is this: don’t let anyone try to convince you that what is important or unimportant to them, should be to you, as well.

My only gold guitar is a Shoreline Gold, which is a lot more subtle than Aztec gold. I do like the looks of Aztec gold, as well, but appreciate the subtlety of Shoreline Gold.

As for the various sea-like colors that Fender has offered, I very much enjoy what Fender calls Sea Foam Pearl. Here’s my Sea Foam Pearl FSR. With most guitars, I prefer a black guard. But with a very light-toned/pastel color body, I like a lighter colored pick guard, in this case a Mint guard.

[​IMG]

When Fender uses the word “pearl” in a finish name, typically you will find a pearlescent sparkle in the finish, which you can see in this close-up:
    [​IMG]

Bottom line.. what do YOU like best? Go with your gut on this, not what anyone else thinks.

Attached Files:

16. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Surf all the way, baby! But then I'm a little biased. :D

Shelley 8.JPG

17. Alter Ego

Alter Ego TDPRI Member

Mine are all wall hanging. When I'm not playing them I do spend time sitting on the couch looking at them...Just saying.

Ducerro, nicod98 and DHart like this.
  18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Don't wrap your decisions in life around what anyone else thinks. All that matters in your life is if it pleases YOU.

Even if you can't play an open "E" chord, so what... buy the guitar that makes you smile. Then get some lessons! :lol:

tubedood, teletimetx and tery like this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Guitars make awesome wall-art when they aren't being played!

Not a thing wrong with that, either.

Some people who buy guitars don't even play them. That's ok too, if it pleases them.

I get a little bit irked when people self-righteously spew about how a guitar looks "shouldn't matter" to anyone - that how the person plays is all that matters.

Some people care very much about their playing AND enjoy how guitars look! (I'm in that group.) And some people who like guitars and how they look, could hardly play a cowboy chord. So what?

I believe that life is short; and it should be enjoyed by each individual exactly as they wish to enjoy it - and don't need lectures about how they should "view" guitars.

CHarg likes this.
  20. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.