Well, that was disappointing

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Milspec, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:20 PM.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good advice, I actually took that amp to the tech because the retainers were weak enough to allow tubes to fall out while driving around town. I had to load the amp upside down to keep it from happening. He re-tensioned them, but it is certainly worth checking.

I drove all over town on my lunch break and nobody had the right fuse. I could find fuses, but every hardware store would have 1 amp, 2 amp, 3 amp, and 5 amp....nobody had a 4 amp Slo-Blo or equivalent. I guess I will have to order some and likely a new set of tubes. Sucks having to wait and see.

2. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

I did just that many years ago, Teck said he had never seen a transformer melted like that before. LOL

Jim

BobbyZ, Milspec and getbent like this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, man. I totally forgot about the Bassman 135 I took in trade. It didn't work. I figured how bad could it be?

Well...

It had a shorted tube that someone fixed with the tinfoil fuse trick. The amp was spraying sparks halfway across the inside of the chassis. Everything inside was black.

Junk.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Milspec, getbent and BobbyZ like this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Continuing Thread Hijack: (The Saga of the Soggy and Hard To Light Oil Burner)

Patty owns the local Ace hardware. She's left handed, she plays bass and fronts a local cover band. She also maintains Patty's Museum of Antique and Obsolete Plumbing and Heating. And… Hey, Ho! Patty had a Sid Harvey rebuilt pump for our antique Wayne burner. And fifty feet of copper line. And a new shutoff with a flare instead of the obsolete compression fitting.

The old burner ran just fine last night at fifteen below zero. It's burning so clean there are no visible emissions from the chimney, only heat waves.

It will be good for another fifty years after we get done overhauling it.

Greggorios and BobbyZ like this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

when I was playing clubs in the 80's, no spare amp and out of fuses... I pulled two tubes, wrapped a fuse and got through the gig (3 more sets) no fire and no damage... lucky... I did fix the amp... about 3 months later... I know, I know.

these were lean years for gb.

tubedood and BobbyZ like this.
  6. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

I wear it on my head every day so Fox news can't read my mind. :D

Back to reality - OP - the lesson here is always carry at least 1 spare fuse. I used to just gaf tape a couple of spares to the back of my amp chassis for gigging. Good luck with it all though, it sucks when an amp dies..

zook likes this.
  7. Milspec

Funny you mentioned that, all of my other vintage amps came with spare fuses taped to the chassis...except this Twin. Since my local ACE couldn't supply the 4 amp fuse I wanted, I turned to ebay. I hate buying things online that I can get local, but the only place that said they had the 4 amp is a 90 drive round-trip. Anyway, a tip for some out there with ebay. always search for the item by as many different names as you can to get the best deal. There was one vender in the "music" category selling 4 amp slo-blo fuses at $12 for a pack of 5. By searching for Littlfuse 313, I found a vender selling a 100 pack of the same fuses for $22. Sure, I now have way too many fuses for my needs, but I will never have to buy another in my lifetime.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

You could try a 3 amp slow blow. That's what the last 100 watt TRs used. Maybe one would hold in your 135 ultra linear? If that pops straight away I'd suspect deeper issues.

9. Milspec

Well, I took the advice of BobbyZ and purchased a few 3 amp slo-blo fuses. The manual states that this Twin uses 3.5 amps and calls for the 4 amp fuse, but it isn't like I am going to dime this thing so the 3 amp makes sense. At least enough to try and isolate the bad tube.

Unfortunately, the amp doesn't even power on (no jewel light, no nothing) so it looks like the flaw is more than just a tube. I guess I have to drag it to my tech an hour away in the morning now...sucks.

10. Milspec

Upon further review, the fuse blows instantly before even the jewel light is lit up. Tried 2 of them with the same result.

11. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

I bought a Twin new in 1977 and it blew fuses quite often. I loved the way it sounded, but ended up selling it. Lemon, I guess.

12. BobbyZ

You got a light bulb limiter? Real easy to rig up.
    With one of those the light just takes the current instead of popping the fuse.

Or just pull all the 6L6s and see if the fuse holds. If it does one of them is shorted out. Then you can put them in one at a time till you find two that don't pop the fuse. (or make your light bulb full brite) Then just go with two tubes for now.
    If the fuse pops without the tubes you've got other issues.

13. Milspec

That's the deal, the fuse blew with the power tubes out of the amp and the stand by on....don't think it is going to be a tube this time. I guess I could try it again with all the tubes removed in case it is in the preamp section (V1 maybe), but I am out of fuses now. I love my tube amps and would never want to play something else, but it is days like this that me wonder about reliability of old amps. I mean this is a home use amp these days and gets maybe 7 hours of work all week with the volume under 3...hardly getting whipped like a dog. Since it was fully serviced just 6 months ago, I would have expected better durability.

It isn't just this Twin either as my '64 Bassman has developed a little hum at idle this past week and my '47 Epiphone just lost a NOS power tube no less than an hour ago and it very rarely gets played. I can see why people have started moving away from tube amps on weeks like this one...it is frustrating and can get expensive pretty quick between the cost of tubes and the $100 / hr tech that you might need. I will not work on the inside of amps beyond setting the bias, I leave the rest to the professionals.

14. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Do you have a bad power supply to the house/studio..? If you've noticed weird noises coming from 3 amps at/near the same time then maybe the issue is bad power..?
    Either that or you just have bad luck with tube amps.. Don't come near mine please! ;)

15. Milspec

Each failure came in different rooms of the house. The Twin in the studio room, the Bassman in the office, and the '47 in the living room. I actually went around the place checking all my outlets and checking outputs...all tests normal. I think I am just cursed or the house is haunted, not sure which yet.

I am sticking with my THR10 for now as it is the only non-tube amp that I own and really can't take any more drama with my gear.

16. BobbyZ

If it blew the fuse with no 6L6s then yeah it needs a tech. Did the service include all new electrolytics? I'd be checking that first some guys don't do um all.
    It shouldn't take long to track down though. You just get the light bulb limiter hooked up and start disconnecting things until it dims down. It'll be full bright into a dead short. Hopefully you find it before you get the power transformer completely disconnected!
    An amp blowing fuses straight away is about as easy as it gets to figure out. It's the intermediate, once in awhile things that make you pull your hair out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.