Well, that didn’t work…

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dan German, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Here’s the thing. I had been using a Roland Funny Cat. I only use the Soft Distortion Sustainer side of it, but I was very happy with the sound I got. Then I started asking questions: What if my weird vintage pedal craps out? What if my brother in law asks for it back (it’s actually his, and he’s figured out how much they can sell for online). So I went on a search for a sound that I liked as much. I knew I couldn’t get the same sound, or at least it wasn’t likely, but I started looking at other pedals that would make me happy. I ended up with a Radial distortion pedal and a fuzz face, and dialed them in just right. I’m happy. I can click from one setting to another, and get all the tones I need.

Then I got curious. What if I add the Funny Cat to this new pedal chain? I am sad to say that it is even better than before. I suspect I am going to have to either tell my BIL that thieves broke into the apartment and stole the Funny Cat, or get the stupid thing cloned.

2. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Tell your BIL it was:
    upload_2021-6-17_15-49-4.png
    I mean, that's believable, right?

JL_LI, Dan German and Killing Floor like this.
  3. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Yeah...sometimes the “plug everything into everything” approach to the tone search reveals a stellar combination that is essentially unrepeatable, and it bites you on the ass.

I was inspired to this risky approach by reading about Ty Tabor’s rig on the first four Kings X albums, where he wound up slaving a Lab Series L5 combo through some rack FX into a power amp driving some 4 X 12 cabs. When you start cloning or stockpiling long-discontinued pieces of gear, just in case, you’ve got it
    Bad.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm guessing he sleeps on his stomach.

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Wow, those things are selling for a ton. When's your birthday? Maybe he'll gift youo_O.

6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Meh. I don’t see much evidence of them selling. Asking prices are definitely stupid, though. To be honest, he handed it to me over ten years ago, and said “here, I never use this.” A few years back he noticed how much people ask for them, and commented on it, but I’ve heard nothing since then. My main concern right now is that I built a pedal board without it, and I’ll have to build a bigger one if I want to incorporate it.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

First world problems. :eek: Ask your BIL to make the loan permanent or at least until one of you passes. If he says OK, say thank you and tell him how much you love the pedal and take him and your sister out to dinner. Debt paid. Then reconfigure or expand your pedal board.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.