well, ok. bring on the silverface reissues?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Setyaback, Aug 26, 2013.

1. LP junior

LP junior NEW MEMBER!

New 68 Silver face Princeton

Hey Tele Forum, I just joined tonight after reading all the stuff you guys have been posting. You probably won't pay much attention to me since I will be 60 years old in January!!!lolol./ Yes , I'm an old hippie who grew up in the 60's. I have had Fender amps since 1970 (69' Twin). I had to get rid of my Marshall 100 watt Super Lead because the leader of the band said it was too loud?? I will try to break up my story so as not to bore you guys too much.

I'm thinking about trading in my Hot Rod Deluxe, Super Champ XD and a few pedals on a 68 Custom Princeton (silver face). I have always loved the "black face" look but when I read about the improvements they made on the 68, the silver face didn't bother me at all.

I play music at home with a Tascam DP008 portastudio. I have been using an old Tom Scholtz Rockman but it's starting to get boring. I do own a vintage 61 Tweed Champ that sounds great with my OD pedals but I want another (slightly louder w reverb) new amp. I believe this 68 might be my best bet (especially if Guitar Center goes for the trade.

My question is this; Have any of you guys really played through this amp yet? Or are all these comments just speculation on how this amp will REALLY sound?

I'm getting ready to do the trade soon so,,,,,,any comments would be appreciated very much......Thanks

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

3. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

You'll find many TDPRIers are your age. Welcome!

I'd highly advise selling your stuff on Craigslist and/or eBay before trying to trade stuff at Guitar Center. You'll get market value that way.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new amp, I'll be jealous!

4. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum! I turned 60 this past Monday. The 68 Custom is a really nice amp but be advised it is designed to break up early. The one I tried out was around 4. Personally I prefer cleaner headroom and pedals for dirt. I went with a modified 65 Blackface Princeton and just love it. Perfect amp for in house play. Go play one and see what I mean. Hope this helps and good luck!

5. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

LP JR,

They don't sound like a vintage PR or even a PRRI. If you're looking for vintage PR tone, this isn't it. If you're after a darker tone with earlier break-up, they might be for you. Best to play both-you might like the PRRI better.

I went with the Custom Deluxe Reverb because it has a Vintage channel(same as a DRRI but without the bright cap) as well as the darker, lower headroom Custom channel. I like both. :D

6. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Hey youngster I am 61. I wouldn't get rid of the SCXD and I wouldn't trade anything at GC. You got some good advice. Sell your amp on CL or eBay. But as stated play both Princeton's first!!!

7. bajabuster

bajabuster Tele-Meister

hahahahahahahahahaha, i can hear the electrons, moving around, so much happier, now.

8. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Here's a reply to a question I sent to Fender Customer Relations regarding the type of "Bassman" tone stack being used in the Custom channel of my '68 CDR. I assume the Custom TR will be the same.

9. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

:D:eek::D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.