well, ok. bring on the silverface reissues?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Setyaback, Aug 26, 2013.

1. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

So far, I think the Celestion V-70 sounds really good. Seems to hold together well at
    higher volume, and not "ice-picky" at all. Don't know if its the speaker or the amp voicing, but the Custom DR seems tighter in the bass and not quite as bright as the DRRI, at least in the Vintage channel. I haven't spent much time on the Custom channel; my first impression is that its darker, warmer, and not as defined as the Vintage channel, which so far is my favorite.

Had to ditch the tone-sucking turquoise jewel light, tho. Installed a vintage ANOS red one from my old '66 Bassman.
    Much better. :D

2. radeberti

radeberti TDPRI Member

these new 68 amps are out for a week, there are not many reviews or video demos, but they were modded already:rolleyes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyMw0A-_Wmg

what does "handwired" mean here? I own a 65 prri and the stock tubes were horrible (very microphonic), so I changed them all. I also changed the speaker after a year to an eminence legend 105 (i like it!), but rewiring it?

3. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Glad to start hearing other people's opinions

Iv found that this amp, a tele, and a timmy OD is absolutely all Ill ever need, the great thing about the timmy is you can turn it on with the gain all the way down, and at high volumes it has a pre gain bass cut. Man these three guys come together so well . With the bass cut I can get great tone at ANY volume. With how transparent the timmy pedal is, at low volume I can turn the gain up a tad and it sounds just like the natural breakup of this amp. The timmy pedal makes this amp a force to be reckoned with lol

4. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

'Hardwiring' (also referred to as 'handwiring') is a now-boutique service offered by some firms and amp modders that uses the 'hardwiring' technique of connecting the electrical components within the map without using modern-style printed circuit boards. The attached pic shows one such 'boutique rewiring' of a new Fender '65 PRRI to pre PCB standards using MilSpec 1/8" G10/FR4 Garolite (glass epoxy) board.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have no idea why someone would go to the expense of buying a new SF amp, and then pay someone to hand wire it. Why not just get someone to build you a SF amp with parts from Marsh. They have the cab, the cloth, the face plate, and all of the parts, and it would cost less, and you'd end up with a solid pine cab. :eek:

6. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I've decided I'm getting one, just trying to decide PR vs DR. Already have a TRRI.

I like headroom, but I like portability....Hmm.

7. Jared Purdy

You should look into Vintage Sound Amps. Rick Hayes builds really nice (from what I've read and heard) a really nice variation on he BF Fender. In fact, it might even be the case that Fender took a page out of his design book. Rick started giving options to customers, such as making the first channel a clone of the second channel (both with reverb and trem) but also with more gain, so earlier breakup, exactly what Fender has done with these SF "Custom" amps. His prices are very reasonable, and 100%hand wired. I know that if I was in the market for another amp, he'd got my business. Check out his cherry cab'ed Princeton and Deluxe. Wow, talk about beautiful. http://vintagesoundamps.com/

8. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

I'm sure these amps are AWESOME, but they are 2x the price of these Fenders. Not quite "reasonable."

Boutique amps can be worth every penny, but many of us can't afford them either way. It is not fair to pretend that they're in the same category.

9. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Originally, the SF CBS amps were little changed from their BF counterparts. The lower priced amps, especially Champs and Princetons, remained little changed for years. CBS kept making changes to the high priced amps, all to the detriment of the amp.

While a first year SF Twin is essentially the same as a BF Twin, lead dress went out the window, causing parasitic oscillations from sloppy wiring and too-long wire leads. CBS solved this, not by fixing the lead dress issues, but by inserting new large suppressor capacitors, and by using cheaper parts. They also starting using lower quality wood and went away from finger jointed cabinets, making the cabinets weaker.

Why would anyone want that?

That's why Fender's choosing (early) '68, because the changes started in May 1968 - mid 1969, with the infamous AC568 circuit, the one that gets "Blackfaced" the most often. There's a reason why the BF amps are so popular. Remember, CBS built way more BF amps than Leo did. As the years went by, SF amps became worse and worse, until Paul Rivera brought back BF cosmetics, and eventually CBS Musical Instruments stopped production and almost evaporated.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I wonder how long before Fender starts offering roadworn SF reissues?

11. Jared Purdy

12. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

$999.
    Free shipping, 30-45 day return policy, and no sales tax, depending on where you buy.

13. Jared Purdy

Ya, I saw $1000 here in Toronto. was surprised given the upgrades over the regular BF Deluxe. So yes, the Vintage Sound Deluxe is just less than 2X more than the Fender :eek: Well, you get what you pay for.

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

15. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I played the 68 Deluxe and Princeton yesterday. My favorite tone was the vibrato channel on the deluxe reverb. A/B it against a drri and preferred the 68 sound better. Maybe its the speaker but it sounded not so bright and shrill. I could not really hear a big tonal difference on the regular input (although it was nice to have reverb there). I wanted this amp but I can't bring myself to sell my silverface vibrolux or bandmaster to pay for it. I did not crank the amps past 4 but they sounded good and looked great.

16. Jared Purdy

I've been jonesing for that amp since the first time I saw it several years ago. What stopped me from buying was not being able to hear it first. I think at some point I'm just going to go for broke. You could put that right next to the dining room table and the wife would never even notice it!

17. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

These are nice amps. It's cool Fender is reissuing Silverface amps. I always thought they looked great. Fender has been putting out a lot of cool retro stuff lately. It's hard to keep up with it all.

I found this Teisco silverface amp copy on Flickr today. It's the model is called Sound Port. It has the drip edge.

[​IMG]
    Teisco sound port 60 amp with 10"speaker by sano12, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Teisco sound port 60 control panel by sano12, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Teisco sound port 60 badge by sano12, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Teisco sound port 60 amp logo by sano12, on Flickr

18. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

The bassman tone stack feature on the Deluxe Reverb reminds me of Allen Amps' "raw control" feature that lets you bypass the tone stack and get a more tweed sound.

I probably won't buy one of these new silverface amps but it's nice that the overall amp market has more options now. Fender didn't quit making any of their others amps AFAIK to bring these to market, and for all the guys saying they'd rather have an original silverface amp, well now there's less competition in the market for one of them for every one these new ones that's sold.

19. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

Any issue with hiss on these amps from having the reverb available in both channels (thinking of what I've heard about the Custom Vibrolux)?

20. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Some have opined that the noise factor is a result of modifying the Vibrato on the newer DRRIs to get rid of the famous 'Ticking" , which are supposedly just as noisey.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.