well, ok. bring on the silverface reissues?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Setyaback, Aug 26, 2013.

1. tonyboy

tonyboy TDPRI Member

I live in San Diego and Guitar Trader has both the 65 RI PR and 68 custom PR. I already have a silverface though. I'm not sure why one would want earlier breakup on a PR.

2. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Heres a new demo i found that really eased my mind, sounds great!

http://youtu.be/sT8t8ykxPSg

No offense to BigD's demo it was sounding woofy in his but im pretty positive it was his mic, one of my mics does the same thing

3. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Nice, fantastic!!! My work here is done. I can stop embarrassing myself.

That sounds awesome. I'm loving mine.

Hey Buffalo I started a Owners Club I hope you'll join. Here soon I'm taking a TDPRI break again but I'll check in from time to time. Keep the club going for us if you can it will be cool to see how these play out.

Sorry if I freaked you out with my crappy demos. I warned though I'm no pro.

Also there's a guy in the Club that wants an explanation as to why anyone would buy these amps. I tried to explain but I'm sure I failed. Maybe you can help him out.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Excellent.. I didn't know Robin Williams played a tele.

5. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

It wasnt your playing that scared me it was what i had been hearing from a few people that tried them saying they got really flabby, i also realize that these people were probably playing at volume levels that i never intend to reach. I just play in my room thats why iv been looking for a princeton reverb for awhile.

and about the guy asking why anyone would buy one, I havent looked at what he has to say but im willing to bet all he is saying is "Silverface amps sucked why would fender reissue them when no one likes them" People dont realize that silverface amps were actually very good amps and in fact the princeton reverbs were pretty much 100% the same amps that the blackface versions were. CBS didnt really make any changes to the smaller amps as much as they did the bigger ones

Im not going to try and convince him, all i know is as soon as i saw this i bought it, same day same hour

6. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Looks more like Richard Simmons to me lol!

7. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Actually this amp sounds ten times better than that dudes demo. You can here your tremolo springs with a Strat and it is dreamy awesome or something really stellar like descriptively. I'm not good with analogies. Lol.

8. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Thats the thing, no review for an amp is really going to show you what it sounds like when you actually have it i know that, but it can give you a good idea

9. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

"Flabby" is pretty subjective, and if you ask me, it has a lot to do with a person's technique and how they understand high volume interaction. You can "tighten" things up quite a bit by using your guitar V control at "8" or even "9", just a hair without significant cleanup, and you can get those low tones a little clearer. Personally I like when those low notes roll down and I can hit near the bridge a little harder, or sink the T control on the git-tar down to 2 or 3 and get all Stax-ed on that ass. Country fried twang, mang. Get nasty with the cousin in the pre-dawn shadows. Cranked tube amp with just the right amount of fat and you get "Midnight Rambler". Looking forward to hear what the Twin reverb says in person.

10. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Love it! :D

J5

11. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Your crazy tele salivas! Gettin nasty with the cousin? Man suspense really is killing me. 7 days seems like such a long time lol and who knows if it will even be here on time

12. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Nice info and lmao!!!

13. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

A buddy pre-ordered the DR from Sweetwater about 10 days ago and has just rec'd shipping confirmation.

14. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Mines in Illinois right now, still got a long way to go but just 3 business days, just happy it crossed the border with no problems

15. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

Great! Looking forward to hearing about the DR.

16. synth

synth NEW MEMBER!

Review of Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

I have been reading these silverface reissue posts but I don't see any good reviews yet. My local Fender dealer went to A Fender Dealer's Only Event in August and called me from there asking if I wanted one. He knows me well. I ordered the DR and picked it up last weekend. Here are my impressions of the Fender Custom '68 Deluxe Reverb:

These days it seems that Fender is offering almost as many "Deluxe" model amps as Strats, and each new model seems more interesting than the last. I received the latest offering, the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, five days ago and have been playing it non-stop. For comparison, I set it next to a mint '74 Deluxe Reverb (Weber C12N speaker) and a Supersonic 22. Teles, Strats, LesPauls, an ES335 and some PRS guitars were used.

The '68 Custom is a beautiful amp, rockin' the bright, cheerful 1st year silverface look that, IMHO, is dazzyling compared to the more sober blackface style. The only stylistic giveaway that is not an original '68 is the pilot light which is turquoise blue instead of the usual red color and the blue looks really cool.

The "custom" aspects of the amp include tube reverb and vibrato on BOTH channels, a Bassman-like tone stack on what used to be the NORMAL channel and is now called the "CUSTOM" channel, slightly earlier gain onset, a Celestion speaker and (arguably) better touch sensitivity.

Except for cosmetics, the Silverface Deluxe Reverbs until '76 changed very little from the earlier Blackface models (2 capacitors) and as we all know, they are phenomenally good amps.

So, how does the '68 Custom compare to the original? First of all, there will be no argument that the new CUSTOM channel is far more usable and exciting than the old NORMAL channel. Turn it up and listen to its tighter, tougher bass response and add on reverb and vibrato for great tones. On the '74, the NORMAL channel had less brightness and gain compared to the VIBRATO channel and most players simply didn't use it (I take the V1 tube out).

On the '74, the VIBRATO channel has more lush reverb and sounds brighter than the '68 reissue. The '68 reissue has a tighter bass response compared to the '74. The softer, compressed, bass attack in the '74 DR has a clanky edge that gets flubbier with power chords as you turn up the volume. Most players reduce the bass to compensate for this, but it is unnecessary on the '68 Custom.

While both channels on the '68 sound great, this is not a channel -switching amp and an A-B box is required if you want to switch channels (to set one clean and the other dirty). Remember that in a non-master volume amp like this, if you want more gain, the amp has to be much louder. Instead of channel switching, a more workable gigging solution would be to choose your favorite channel and then use an overdrive pedal with a minimal volume boost, to go from clean to dirty.

The Celestion speaker is excellent. Switching the speaker leads from one amp to the other suggested that the speaker choices worked best in their respective models.

An alternative to both the '65 Blackface Reissue and the '68 Custom is the Supersonic 22 which is based on the DR. The Clean channel has 2 modes, "Clean and Fat" (really Deluxe Reverb and Bassman), both of which sound great. The Gain channel sounds like the world's best Tube Screamer built into a Deluxe Reverb, with dual cascading Gain controls and four band EQ. (IMHO, the Supersonic 22 because of its all tube build, USA manufacture, and versatility is the best DR- type amp that Fender offers.) The only drawback for some players would be that the Supersonic lacks tremolo.

While this is an updated "Custom" version of the Deluxe Reverb and may be improved from the original, it is by no means a modern amp. No multiple ohm external speaker outs, no effects loops, no power attenuator, no master volume and no channel switching. It is simply one of the greatest sounding amps ever made in a light weight, easily portable format that is great for home, practice, recording and clubs. Miked, it can handle any gig. With pedals it sounds better than anything else because it starts with rich, thick tone.

PROS: The '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb offers TWO distinct and exceptionally good vibrato and reverb channels compared to the original and has a tighter bass response. Its a little less bright with slightly less luster to the reverb compared to the original Silverface but, overall, it may be actually be tonally superior. It is certainly an outstanding amp!

CONS: You can still find good condition, hand wired, USA made, original Silverface amps for a few hundred dollars more than this reissue.

17. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Thank you so much for that incredible review!

18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah thanks synth- of course now I want one too

19. Vker

Vker Tele-Meister

Our local store had the new custom '68 princeton reverb. It was side by side with a '65 PRRI.
    On quick inspection they were identical from the back. Both have a mesh cage near the baffle
    Board, protecting the power tubes, which surprised me as my 4 or 5 year old PRRI does not have the mesh cage.

First thing. Beautiful amp. Wow! I think we are all used to seeing some pretty worn examples,
    And to see this thing sparkling new was quite a rush. Really. And I have a couple nice 70's,
    A DR and a VR.
    They just got the deluxe reverb this morning as well, but it was in back.
    Really would have liked to check it out.

I spent ten minutes or so on it. Ran pretty dead quiet.
    With amp volume between 2-4 volume, and using guitar(mim strat) volume as well.
    I was impressed. I didn't notice any bassy or flubby tendencies.
    lots of nice overtones and sustain.

I felt there was tons of variance with the tone knob tapers, really covering a wide range of adjustment.
    Nice feeling pots, smooth and sturdy feeling, like the PRRI.
    I could dial it in super trebly and very little bass, and vice versa. I was not pushing the amp to stage levels
    In this excursion though. Maybe next time. I would be more interested in the deluxe anyways.

Very different from the PRRI. I don't know how much of the difference can be attributed to the celestion.
    I remember when I got the PRRI new, I constantly dialed the bass way up and the treble down. I don't do that
    Now that the speaker is broken in. If I got the new custom '68, I would give the stock speaker a break in period.

20. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I've been trying to break my 68 CPR in at 7-8 but at 4 -5 the tones are so lush I get stuck in that range for long periods before I realize I'm supposed to be working here.

I've also been using my Vox Big Ben OD through it and find it very useful with this amp. I bought it a few years ago when I had an AC30CC2(miss that). I never really felt it was useful with the AC30 but when the tube in the BB OD and the tubes in the 68 get heated they turn out some pretty smooth and ballsy OD tones. I got a 57 CS Tweed Twin at the same time as this amp and so far the 68 gets all the attention.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.