Well my 70th Anny Broadcaster neck pickup crapped out….

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
It just quit working and took it to the local service center for warranty. Apparently the neck pickup needs replaced , but it’s a limited edition that was only produced for one year. It should be interesting how this gets resolved . I think it came with 50/51 blackguard handwounds.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
If for some reason they are unable to outfit it with an exact replacement I would suggest getting them to pay for a third-party replacement, I would go with Rob DiStefano's nocaster pickups. They are excellent.

Last edited:

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
From what I understand repairing it is an option. Since this is under warranty , I’m curious how Fender handles it. Its entirely possible they have one in stock , but I’m skeptical. They’ve had it for a couple weeks and when I called ,they said they’re waiting for a part. When I talked to the tech , he said a new pickup is supposed to be coming, but he didn’t know when.

doctymie

Tele-Meister
I had a neck pickup reinstalled on my Custom Shop Esquire recently. When the shop that took it out and converted it to the standard Esquire set up, then didn't put the pickup screws back in the case. The new shop were out of the Fender screws so they had to order them from Fender. It took more than 2 weeks for Fender to ship them. Apparently this is not uncommon recently according to the shop.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I had a neck pickup reinstalled on my Custom Shop Esquire recently. When the shop that took it out and converted it to the standard Esquire set up, then didn't put the pickup screws back in the case. The new shop were out of the Fender screws so they had to order them from Fender. It took more than 2 weeks for Fender to ship them. Apparently this is not uncommon recently according to the shop.
Thanks. That’s good to know.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So the shop called Fender today and was told they have to make my pickup, which can take up to 30 days. I wasn’t really sure how they would handle it . Now I know. Glad they are doing what it takes to make it right . The guitar came with custom shop hand wound 50/51 blackguards.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
So the shop called Fender today and was told they have to make my pickup, which can take up to 30 days. I wasn’t really sure how they would handle it . Now I know. Glad they are doing what it takes to make it right . The guitar came with custom shop hand wound 50/51 blackguards.

Good deal. Worth waiting for IMO.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

So how did this work out for you, or are you still waiting?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
From what I understand repairing it is an option. Since this is under warranty , I’m curious how Fender handles it. Its entirely possible they have one in stock , but I’m skeptical. They’ve had it for a couple weeks and when I called ,they said they’re waiting for a part. When I talked to the tech , he said a new pickup is supposed to be coming, but he didn’t know when.
They should be able to wind anything they’ve made previous…

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So how did this work out for you, or are you still waiting?

They should be able to wind anything they’ve made previous…
Sorry , I’ve been slow in getting back . I got my guitar back last week. It sounds great. They rewound a new neck pickup and it sounds as good as the old one. Fenders warranty process was great to deal with . Very happy customer.

xtrajerry

Doctor of Teleocity
It just quit working and took it to the local service center for warranty. Apparently the neck pickup needs replaced , but it’s a limited edition that was only produced for one year. It should be interesting how this gets resolved . I think it came with 50/51 blackguard handwounds.
Not sure where you got the idea the pickups were hand wound or production was limited to 1 year, just took a look at the specs and all it says is Custom Shop designed which I believe is code for made in Mexico. You’ll probably get a custom shop nocaster pickup..

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Not sure where you got the idea the pickups were hand wound or production was limited to 1 year, just took a look at the specs and all it says is Custom Shop designed which I believe is code for made in Mexico. You’ll probably get a custom shop nocaster pickup..
I actually emailed Fender and they said they were the same ones that were in the Custom shop Broadcasters. I got it right from the horses mouth . I agree the verbiage is confusing though. They are the actual 50/51 blackguard CS pickups . I’ve never seen MIM pickups in a higher end MIA production guitar , have you?

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
I actually emailed Fender and they said they were the same ones that were in the Custom shop Broadcasters. I got it right from the horses mouth . I agree the verbiage is confusing though. They are the actual 50/51 blackguard CS pickups . I’ve never seen MIM pickups in a higher end MIA production guitar , have you?
Yep, they were indeed the CS 50/51 Blackguards, which is probably why it took I while to replace the broken neck pickup.