Well, I've Hit Rock Bottom

KidRob

TDPRI Member
I was an over the road trucker most of my life. In 2015, another driver ran into me from behind. He wasn't driving a semi, but Ford 850 loaded with plywood and other other materials. I was empty.
I didn't think I was seriously injured, although I knew I was going to be sore as I was in another whiplash type accident about 12 years before when I was passenger in brother's Mitsubishi pickup truck and a driver ran into us.

Well, to make a long story even longer, I had to have neck surgery after going to the doctor for over a year to treat my neck and shoulder area. They fused the vertebrae together in my neck in three locations. But it wasn't just my neck I'm and shoulder I'm having problems with, but my lower back as well.

I filed a personal injury suit, but my lawyer said I won't get much because "I don't look injured." The lawyers from the law firm I hired completely lied to me and my wife, and at mediation to settle the case were totally not willing to fight for my rights even though I had brought them a statement of disability from my pain management doctor. They discovered at mediation that my earnings were not W-2, but 1099 as I was an independent contractor and not a W-2 employee, after having my tax records in their possession for over two years at that point.

Then, to make matters even worse, they withdrew from representing me and in their motion to the court they gave the reason that "I had lost trust" in their representation and that I was calling their office and undermining their staff's morale. None of that was true. But what could I do? At that point I DID lose trust in them because at that point they were outright lying to the judge and the court.

So, I had to find new attorneys. Most of the firms I called told me my previous attorneys had "threw me under the bus" because they read their motion for withdrawal as my attorney and I was going to have a hard time finding an attorney who would take the case. I did find some firms who were willing to "look" at the case - for 50 percent. After contact several law firms, I managed to find a firm that would take the case for 35 percent.

Then, a few days later, it all hit me. Chest pain. Yep, I was having a heart attack. My wife called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital and went straight into surgery. They placed two stints in my artery and I spent 3 days in intensive care.

Total cost - $22,000. Keep in mind I no longer had health insurance since I couldn't go back to work.

So, I get out of the hospital.

I filed for disability with the SSA. Denied.
I filed for SSI with the State. Denied.

So 2019 rolls around and my trial date is coming up in April. Nope - Covid-19 shut the court down. My trial was put off from April of 2019 to February 2020. Realize that during this entire time my income since 2015 is ZERO.

So 2020 rolls around. NOPE. Court has put off the trial until September.
September rolls around. NOPE. Court is now backlogged. Trial is put off until January 2021.
So January 2021 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. Trial is put off until August 2021.
So August 2021 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. So trial is put off until January 2022.
So January 2022 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. Trial is put off until September 2022.

This makes 7 and half years that I've gone with ZERO income waiting for this trial.
And no, I'm not writing this asking anybody for your money. Not that I'm rich, I just won't accept it. You earned it, you keep it.

I know you may be wondering how I managed to get by for the last 7 and half years with no income at all.
The answer to that, is I have a wife that loves me. Trust me, it hasn't been all "Here's all my money do with it what you will" with her. But, she has not kicked me out in the street. And I do what I can to help her. She doesn't work either and her story is quite tragic as well and has to do with her 87 year old mother who suffers from schizophrenia whose been living with us for the last 12 years. She went off her medication and called the police and told them her daughter (my wife's sister who was born with cerebral palsy and lived with her mother since birth) had taken her hostage. The police came out and shot and killed her. RIP Kim.

But, I still believe in God. Remember Job?

Last edited:

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Man, Rob.

I'm praying for you and your wife.
Hoping that the court date comes to pass, and that the settlement is equitable.

Hang in there.
😞

old soul

Tele-Holic
Hope this gets sorted out, soon! Imo, attorneys in general are a scourge in this country. We're pulling for you!

KidRob

TDPRI Member
Trust me Sparky, that old devil won't get me that easy. I certainly appreciate your prayers for me and mine as "the prayers of the righteous availeth much". James 5:16
As far as the settlement goes, I'm not asking for millions and millions of fiat dollars. I can't exactly discuss it for legal reasons, but just a fair settlement. I'm not trying to "cash in" on anything. The hardest part so far was having to watch my wife go through not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 near complete breakdowns. The feeling of total despair, no hope left, uncontrollable sobbing, gasping for breath, and yet she still gets up every morning and takes complete care of her mother, changing her, washing the sheets, feeding her breakfast, giving her the medicines. I don't know what I did to deserve her, but whatever it was, I'm glad I did it.

KidRob

TDPRI Member
Hope this gets sorted out, soon! Imo, attorneys in general are a scourge in this country. We're pulling for you!
I appreciate that Old Soul. Real Americans, and when I say real Americans I don't mean those that toss that term around like a sack of potatoes, you can't beat them. Why? Because we're not afraid of a damn thing on this Earth and that includes death itself. And I'm not dead, at least, not yet. As far as attorneys goes, well, I remember what Jesus said to that one particular lawyer. I still hold that there are honorable men and women in this nation. When I was searching for a replacement attorney, I had a long conversation with one and after talking to me, and about the case, he begged his boss to let him take the case. But his boss declined him the opportunity, the reason I don't know, perhaps his boss had other cases he wanted him to take.

GBfun

TDPRI Member
I was an over the road trucker most of my life. In 2015, another driver ran into me from behind. He wasn't driving a semi, but Ford 850 loaded with plywood and other other materials. I was empty.
I didn't think I was seriously injured, although I knew I was going to be sore as I was in another whiplash type accident about 12 years before when I was passenger in brother's Mitsubishi pickup truck and a driver ran into us.

Well, to make a long story even longer, I had to have neck surgery after going to the doctor for over a year to treat my neck and shoulder area. They fused the vertebrae together in my neck in three locations. But it wasn't just my neck I'm and shoulder I'm having problems with, but my lower back as well.

I filed a personal injury suit, but my lawyer said I won't get much because "I don't look injured." The lawyers from the law firm I hired completely lied to me and my wife, and at mediation to settle the case were totally not willing to fight for my rights even though I had brought them a statement of disability from my pain management doctor. They discovered at mediation that my earnings were not W-2, but 1099 as I was an independent contractor and not a W-2 employee, after having my tax records in their possession for over two years at that point.

Then, to make matters even worse, they withdrew from representing me and in their motion to the court they gave the reason that "I had lost trust" in their representation and that I was calling their office and undermining their staff's morale. None of that was true. But what could I do? At that point I DID lose trust in them because at that point they were outright lying to the judge and the court.

So, I had to find new attorneys. Most of the firms I called told me my previous attorneys had "threw me under the bus" because they read their motion for withdrawal as my attorney and I was going to have a hard time finding an attorney who would take the case. I did find some firms who were willing to "look" at the case - for 50 percent. After contact several law firms, I managed to find a firm that would take the case for 35 percent.

Then, a few days later, it all hit me. Chest pain. Yep, I was having a heart attack. My wife called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital and went straight into surgery. They placed two stints in my artery and I spent 3 days in intensive care.

Total cost - $22,000. Keep in mind I no longer had health insurance since I couldn't go back to work.

So, I get out of the hospital.

So 2019 rolls around and my trial date is coming up in April. Nope - Covid-19 shut the court down. My trial was put off from April of 2019 to February 2020. Realize that during this entire time my income since 2015 is ZERO.

So 2020 rolls around. NOPE. Court has put off the trial until September.
September rolls around. NOPE. Court is now backlogged. Trial is put off until January 2021.
So January 2021 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. Trial is put off until August 2021.
So August 2021 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. So trial is put off until January 2022.
So January 2022 rolls around. NOPE. Court is still backlogged. Trial is put off until September 2022.

This makes 7 and half years that I've gone with ZERO income waiting for this trial.
And no, I'm writing this asking anybody for your money. Not that I'm rich, I just won't accept it. You earned it, you keep it.

I know you may be wondering how I managed to get by for the last 7 and half years with no income at all.
The answer to that, is I have a wife that loves me. Trust me, it hasn't been all "Here's all my money do with it what you will" with her. But, she has not kicked me out in the street. And I do what I can to help her. She doesn't work either and her story is quite tragic as well and has to do with her 87 year old mother who suffers from schizophrenia whose been living with us for the last 12 years. She went off her medication and called the police and told them her daughter (my wife's sister who was born with cerebral palsy and lived with her mother since birth) had taken her hostage. The police came out and shot and killed her. RIP Kim.

Wow...that's quite a story ! Trust me, you aren't the only one in the good old USA that has found themselves in a major clusterfk like that. And sadly, I've experienced far too many setbacks in this supposedly free and happy country of ours, myself, and with others. Life shouldn't be this hard but sometimes it is.
Hopefully your story will be valuable to remind everyone to save for a rainy day(they often come !), ponder health "fixes" very, very carefully(medicine is still largely in the dark ages imo), and be very wary of the legal system in the way it REALLY works...or doesn't.
Sadly, no one told me about such things as a young lad and it cost me BIGTIME.
So I'm indeed sorry to see you are in such a pickle here, and if I can any advice at all from my experiences, is that one should remain PERSISTENT and always try to bounce back....because you can...if you try. And sometimes, as painful as it is, when you just can't win or draw, it's better to take your loss and move on. I've taken some bad losses myself, and I've NEVER regretted cutting my losses(after a good fight effort of course) and moving on. This often saves YEARS of neverending stress and worry, so it's healthier to move on.
Having said that though, eventually your day in court(or a settlement) will come if you're patient. But due to the virus, courts are backed up almost everywhere, and they are having a hard time getting a jury because someone might DIE if they are vulnerable. I've heard that it might be a couple more YEARS before courts get back to normal but I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer still...so you might want to find some income doing remote computer work of some kind while waiting for your case to come up.(I hear the trucking industry needs a lot of help in logistics !) And sorry to say, there's no guarantee that you will win your case either.
So you are definitely in a big fat clusterfk for sure, and you may need to recognize your situation as extreme and unexpected to such a point that only persistence(up to a point) and a new direction is needed.
One new direction for you might be to research some lower cost treatments for backs and necks that involve PRP injections and stem cell injections. One place to start is Dr. Dan Nelson in Seattle. He's really a pain guy but is also leading in these newer technologies. It's a place to start your research. He's also legit, but there are some scammers to watch out for too.
I know this isn't much but sometimes life just takes you down, and there's not a thing one can do about it but SURVIVE... and change things up to try and bounce back again.
Been there, done that. It's tough. I wish you luck !

KidRob

TDPRI Member
I appreciate your advice and comment GBfun. There's an old saying, "Its not how hard you hit bottom, its how high you bounce." The accident has diminished my capabilities. I can't do "normal" things that people take for granted, such as sitting or standing for extended periods of time. I was feeling pretty good last week, so I tried to mow the grass with our push mower. That was a mistake. I was in pain for 5 days as result. Since the accident, I have had to learn that I need to be careful of what I do. That's sort of a system shock when you're used to doing whatever you want. I like to believe I'm still 25 in spirit, but believe me, my 55 year old body in its present condition has a way of reminding me that I'm absolutely not. But I'm not complaining. This old body will return to the dust from whence it came.

The biggest problem as far as my medical issues goes isn't finding a reputable doctor. It's that I don't have any money to pay them for their services. My personal insurance that I had only covered the medical costs of an accident for two years after the accident. It took them that long just to do my neck surgery. Why? Surgery is a last resort. If nothing else works they've prescribed and the treatments don't yield any lasting results , then they'll perform the surgery.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I'm currently sitting here waiting for a telephone consultation from a doctor, my meds were stopped without any warning two weeks ago, pain in chest which sometimes simulates a heart attack and started in 2006 and still no diagnosis, if I go to the doctor they tell me to go to the hospital and if I go to the hospital they tell me to go to my doctor. Your post is a reminder that there is always someone worse off. Keep your chin up and don't let the feckers drag you down.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Job indeed, what a tragic mess. Hopefully you can get some relief soon.

My brother was a schizophrenic, so I can sympathize. Not easy to care for and on top everything else...

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
What a horrific story. Prayers are definitely with you .... like right now and the days to come. What an excellent & appropriate bible reference. Stay strong!

KidRob

TDPRI Member
I'm currently sitting here waiting for a telephone consultation from a doctor, my meds were stopped without any warning two weeks ago, pain in chest which sometimes simulates a heart attack and started in 2006 and still no diagnosis, if I go to the doctor they tell me to go to the hospital and if I go to the hospital they tell me to go to my doctor. Your post is a reminder that there is always someone worse off. Keep your chin up and don't let the feckers drag you down.
Thanks Spox. Chest pain absolutely needs a correct diagnosis. Usually, its not serious. When I had my heart attack, the pain was in the dead center of my chest, right on the breast bone. You need to get that diagnosed properly, and if you have to have somebody carry you to a competent physician, then let the carrying begin. Your meds may have been halted due to your physiology. Some people can take aspirin with no problems, others are allergic to it. The one thing that I have found is that is extremely important to your health is, believe it or not, food. What you eat will determine your overall health. If you eat right, that is, the foods that are best suited to your personal physiology, you will begin to experience better health.
There's an old saying. "Let food by thy medicine and medicine by thy food".
Since my accident, I've started eating better, that is, more healthy foods and the way they are prepared, and it really does help. I kick myself for not understanding this better years ago.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Wow...that's quite a story ! Trust me, you aren't the only one in the good old USA that has found themselves in a major clusterfk like that. And sadly, I've experienced far too many setbacks in this supposedly free and happy country of ours, myself, and with others. Life shouldn't be this hard but sometimes it is.
Hopefully your story will be valuable to remind everyone to save for a rainy day(they often come !), ponder health "fixes" very, very carefully(medicine is still largely in the dark ages imo), and be very wary of the legal system in the way it REALLY works...or doesn't.
Sadly, no one told me about such things as a young lad and it cost me BIGTIME.
So I'm indeed sorry to see you are in such a pickle here, and if I can any advice at all from my experiences, is that one should remain PERSISTENT and always try to bounce back....because you can...if you try. And sometimes, as painful as it is, when you just can't win or draw, it's better to take your loss and move on. I've taken some bad losses myself, and I've NEVER regretted cutting my losses(after a good fight effort of course) and moving on. This often saves YEARS of neverending stress and worry, so it's healthier to move on.
Having said that though, eventually your day in court(or a settlement) will come if you're patient. But due to the virus, courts are backed up almost everywhere, and they are having a hard time getting a jury because someone might DIE if they are vulnerable. I've heard that it might be a couple more YEARS before courts get back to normal but I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer still...so you might want to find some income doing remote computer work of some kind while waiting for your case to come up.(I hear the trucking industry needs a lot of help in logistics !) And sorry to say, there's no guarantee that you will win your case either.
So you are definitely in a big fat clusterfk for sure, and you may need to recognize your situation as extreme and unexpected to such a point that only persistence(up to a point) and a new direction is needed.
One new direction for you might be to research some lower cost treatments for backs and necks that involve PRP injections and stem cell injections. One place to start is Dr. Dan Nelson in Seattle. He's really a pain guy but is also leading in these newer technologies. It's a place to start your research. He's also legit, but there are some scammers to watch out for too.
I know this isn't much but sometimes life just takes you down, and there's not a thing one can do about it but SURVIVE... and change things up to try and bounce back again.
Been there, done that. It's tough. I wish you luck !

"(I hear the trucking industry needs a lot of help in logistics !)"

Man, that is a superb bit of advice! seems like OP has the background to make him an ideal candidate for this. It's a desk job, in an office, looking at monitors and making phone calls.

Not sure how hard it is to get on with a logistics company, but here's an example from a place that's hiring:

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.26.49 AM.png

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I don’t have an answer for you , You mentioned Job, he never got an answer as far as I know.
But this small encouragement. It seems nearly everyone is denied disability from SSI. It’s pretty much standard procedure. A number of those denied will give up . They weed out some insincere claims and save money as well. One should expect to be tuned down. The appeal is when the claim actually begins. I know you have had more than your fill of lawyers but they seem to be helpful in disability claims.
It’s good that you have a faith to hold onto.We need a hope in the dark days.
Prayers sent

KidRob

TDPRI Member
Job indeed, what a tragic mess. Hopefully you can get some relief soon.

My brother was a schizophrenic, so I can sympathize. Not easy to care for and on top everything else...
Yeah. It's hard. They'll sometimes say things or do things that will absolutely make you angry and you have to keep telling yourself, "It's not them, its the disease talking." You always have to be in a "I can't let this get to me" state of mind, because if you let your guard down, it's easy to slip into the mode that you're dealing with a rational "normal" person, and you'll want to try to reason with them, and when they reply or do something irrational, that just makes you even more angry. Depending on their current state, reasoning with them may be nearly impossible and an exercise in futility. As long as they're not harming themselves or others, you just have to let it be, and do what you need to do to care for them.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Thanks Spox. Chest pain absolutely needs a correct diagnosis. Usually, its not serious. When I had my heart attack, the pain was in the dead center of my chest, right on the breast bone. You need to get that diagnosed properly, and if you have to have somebody carry you to a competent physician, then let the carrying begin. Your meds may have been halted due to your physiology. Some people can take aspirin with no problems, others are allergic to it. The one thing that I have found is that is extremely important to your health is, believe it or not, food. What you eat will determine your overall health. If you eat right, that is, the foods that are best suited to your personal physiology, you will begin to experience better health.
There's an old saying. "Let food by thy medicine and medicine by thy food".
Since my accident, I've started eating better, that is, more healthy foods and the way they are prepared, and it really does help. I kick myself for not understanding this better years ago.
I completely agree re food. I made changes to my diet six years ago and have never looked back. I eat healthy at home but I am a carer for my mum and when I go to hers pretty much every evening it is all snacks, crackers, biscuits, chocolate etc. I've asked her a number of times to stop buying this for me but she agrees then says that she buys it out of habit. It is my choice whether or not to eat it but it is difficult when it is a life of watching soap operas etc.

Re chest pains, I've had multiple diagnosis, most recent being costochondritis but that is only supposed to last a few months, not every day for fifteen and a half years. A nurse I saw a few weeks ago who gave me the diagnosis told me that I'll have to just learn to deal with it, it has affected everything, ability to work, travel etc. Re the telephone consultation, they were supposed to call between a one hour slot which ended fifty minutes ago. Again, you have my sympathies and support to get back on track as best possible under horrendous circumstances, wishing all of the best to yourself and your good wife.

KidRob

TDPRI Member
I don’t have an answer for you , You mentioned Job, he never got an answer as far as I know.
But this small encouragement. It seems nearly everyone is denied disability from SSI. It’s pretty much standard procedure. A number of those denied will give up . They weed out some insincere claims and save money as well. One should expect to be tuned down. The appeal is when the claim actually begins. I know you have had more than your fill of lawyers but they seem to be helpful in disability claims.
It’s good that you have a faith to hold onto.We need a hope in the dark days.
Prayers sent
Thanks Gardo. Actually, Job did get an answer.
I did call an attorney about the SSI denial. The problem, as he explained it, with SSI is that it is "needs based". Meaning if you get any other income while on SSI, they'll reduce or eliminate it depending on the income. When I got the denial, I had, if I'm not mistaken, 30 days to file an appeal. Well the trial, at that time, was in 3 months and any settlement would have disqualified me from getting SSI anymore, as I understand it, and it would have taken longer to get the SSI appeal into court. So I decided that I may as well just wait for the trial. And then of course, the appeal period expired. Then, after it expired, I was told the trial had been put off again.
So, yeah. Sucks to be me. The SSDI wasn't denied because of my medical condition. I got a "technical denial" meaning I hadn't paid in enough. But when I went to the SSA website to sign up for SSDI, it told me I was qualified and even gave me the amount I would receive each month. So I had to go through this lengthy application process and sent it in. Then I got the denial letter and I was like, "What? How?" So I had to call my local SSA office and the rep told me I was "very close" to qualifying. She asked me if I had done my 2015 taxes, which I hadn't. So she told me to have them done. I told her I didn't work but 2 months in 2015. But, I went and did them and, according to her, it still wasn't enough for me qualify for SSDI even though SSA.gov website shows that I am and tells me what the amount each month is.

But again, the trial date was right around the corner at the time and so I didn't appeal.
The fact that I can't rely on ANY thing concerning the government is a hard lesson learned for me thus far.

KidRob

TDPRI Member
I completely agree re food. I made changes to my diet six years ago and have never looked back. I eat healthy at home but I am a carer for my mum and when I go to hers pretty much every evening it is all snacks, crackers, biscuits, chocolate etc. I've asked her a number of times to stop buying this for me but she agrees then says that she buys it out of habit. It is my choice whether or not to eat it but it is difficult when it is a life of watching soap operas etc.

Re chest pains, I've had multiple diagnosis, most recent being costochondritis but that is only supposed to last a few months, not every day for fifteen and a half years. A nurse I saw a few weeks ago who gave me the diagnosis told me that I'll have to just learn to deal with it, it has affected everything, ability to work, travel etc. Re the telephone consultation, they were supposed to call between a one hour slot which ended fifty minutes ago. Again, you have my sympathies and support to get back on track as best possible under horrendous circumstances, wishing all of the best to yourself and your good wife.
Thanks Spox. Back at you. I guess we have to remember that we're not going to get out of this life alive. 😜

KidRob

TDPRI Member
What a horrific story. Prayers are definitely with you .... like right now and the days to come. What an excellent & appropriate bible reference. Stay strong!
You got it Fenderdad. I promise you this, if I drop, I'll crawl to the end of it. Yeah, that old devil. He'll play tricks on you, your mind. Get you into thinking foolishness. Let me tell you. My father was a World War II vet. God fearing man. And he didn't raise no fool. The devil may want me, but he's going to have to try harder.

1stpitch

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Man that sucks. If there's anything I can offer it's this. After having been through 2 similar lawsuits, one on each side, and having sat on a jury for another, I will say that I wouldn't continue to hang your hat on the outcome of your trial for all your financial problems getting resolved. In fact, you might should proceed as if you'll get nothing, which might happen. I hope for you and your families' sake this is not the case, but be prepared.