1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it was fun while it lasted... Squier Classic Vibe changes!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Teleman60, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Why do you repeatedly put down the quality of the Fenders produced in Indonesia on multiple threads? Many of us own these guitars and have raved about the quality of the product coming out of this factory, yet your own single negative experience with a QC issue has led you to trash all Fender guitars made in Indonesia. I have owned Fenders produced in China and Indonesia and if anything, prefer the Indonesian builds. That's My opinion, based on my personal experience of owning both.

2. TeleToneTony

TeleToneTony TDPRI Member

No disrespect to anyone here intended. I'm calling out fender because the current CV's are basically rebranded Vintage Modified guitars. All I wanted was a CV 60's tele custom like I use to own and stupidly sold. When I got a new one from sweetwater the neck simply wasn't a good neck when I did bends around the 15th fret the first string would fret out a bit no matter how i tweaked it. I got an exchange and the same thing, evidently the fretwork or the heel of the neck is just not as good as it use to be since the new factory.Now here's some fact the new one are nato not alder the pickups are no longer made by tonerider even the truss rod nut is pot metal not steel. So imo fender pulled a move yeah they look great but i don't like what they did under the hood. In addition I can not find a used MIC stock CV 60's tele custom for sale any where I check daily on ebay, reverb and the forums yet there are plenty of the newer ones for sale.
    Lastly being on this forum ten years I never put down anything until now. I'll calm down when i can find a used one.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    horax likes this.
  3. TeleToneTony

I certainly do.

horax and NicDo like this.
  4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I own a Chinese CVC and an Indo BSB and I prefer the Indo. The neck is a c shape on the indo, vs the super skinny CVC. Fretwork is great on both. The pots on the indo have the best sweep of any fender I own. Pickups are subjective, but I prefer the newer indo pickups. The CVC bridge is thinner sounding. Some may interpret that as twangy so ymmv. I have had a bit of a feedback problem with the bridge PU in the Chinese guitar, wondering if there is a grounding issue. I love the pickups in my Chinese 60s CV strat. Again, all subjective, but I don’t see where people are viewing the newer classic vibes as inferior. That has not been my experience.

5. TeleToneTony

If the new CV's are rebranded VM's and made in the same factory that would explain the great and bad reviews. VM's were hit & miss I've owned VM's that were perfect and some that had issues. Maybe the biggest difference is in consistency.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Apollwn likes this.
  6. Apollwn

Apollwn NEW MEMBER!

I still have my 2012 CVC and it is one of the finest guitars I have owned regardless of price. I actually owned a few CV strats and teles and all of them were very good instruments with no real problems. Given the variety of opinions about the new Indonesian CVs, it would seem that TeleToneTony's statement may be in fact correct and the consistency in quality is no longer there.

FWIW, several years ago I did get my hands on a Vintage Modified SH Tele (2007 model made in India) and I was thoroughly impressed by it at the time. Same goes for a VM Custom II Telecaster with P90s, although the neck on that one did not feel as good.

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I must have been sooooooo lucky... I've got all different Squier VM tele models (at least one of each) and ALL of them are so good...
    The overall quality even improved around 2012 (even though the VM custom II remains one of my favourites). There is not a single VM tele from 2012 or later that does feel equal to any of my CV's....

8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I've been thinking bout one of the 50's CV don't know why, I've quit playing out but I do love a tele

TeleToneTony and nicod98 like this.
  9. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

So can anyone describe the neck profile on the new CV's...one vendor said they'd be back in stock around 6/5/20. I don't care for a thin skinny neck. I'm not all up on all the tech stuff, just don't have any place near to try one out, so if I got one it'd probably be online from somewhere but where I don't know. If only the neck pickup can get a nice full rich jazzier tone

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

sometimes i can't believe my eyes reading up on here.
    you sound like a bunch of schoolgirls talking about the latest bieberism.

i play at least 6hrs on both my guitars EVERY DAY.

do you?

StarRaider likes this.
  11. Cedarburger

Cedarburger TDPRI Member

I think it is probably important to state that I have not purchased a new guitar in over 20 years, and I have never paid over $300 for a guitar, so that takes cost out of the equation.

I have Squier experience with a Squier Std strat, Squier Std tele (Obey tele), CV50s BSB tele, and a VM Surf strat. I have also owned an MIM strat in the past. My benchmark is my Fender Nashville tele.

Ability is novice.

My personal biggest criteria is typically feel of the neck. My bias is that I do not "love" a 9.5" radius, I actually prefer 12", but also have not ventures into mods at all yet. That said, I would like to paint a broad brush picture of my experiences.

Basically my overall experience has been that ANY CV or VM I have tried (see above) feels just about as good as my Nashville tele. I do not mind the glossy neck on them because I am a bedroom player and do not really sweat.

Squier standards have had lots of sharp frets and sprouting fret ends, and more buzzes.

I have found that the CVs and VMs typically fill a great spot for me.

I am going to look at a VM 70s strat this week, which I hope will be nice, becuase the price is right. I feel that CVs and VMs used to represent a great value new or used. Lately, however, I feel that CVs and VMs have crept up in price to a point that buying a Fender branded instrument might be more worth it.

That's just my .02. YMMV.

I have tried lots of other guitars, and there are things that have pleasantly surprised me on them, as well.

Mr Gunny likes this.
  12. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

Hm. I prefer Indonesian Epiphones to Chinese ones.

13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My experience with Indonesia-made Squiers has been outstanding. VM Jaguar, VM Jazzmaster, VM 72 Thinline, and VM Bass VI - all great guitars. My China factory CV Thinline is good, but probably not quite as good as the VMs. That may just be a preference/spec thing, as I like the neck finishes and shapes better on the VMs. My MIC Modern Player Thinline is really nice, though the non-standard neck (22 fret with no overhang) was an odd choice.

More than anything else, I conclude that you can buy great Fenders and Squiers made anywhere.

Mr Gunny and mimmo like this.
  14. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

The fact that there are this many good reviews for MIC and MII in this thread just goes to show there are definitely good quality instruments leaving those factories in both countries. There is definitely a chance that the guitar will be a lemon, but that seems to be true of even high end guitar makers. I’ve bought all of my new Squiers sight unseen and haven’t been let down so far.

15. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I had a VM 72 Thinline Tele that was made in Indonesia - great playing guitar, but string spacing was very off, and it developed bad fret sprout. A camera tripod dropped on it and chipped the finish, so I sold it last year as the chip upset me! I do regret this as it was lovely to play.

Have a CV Esquire atm. Lots of small issues with it (I made a thread on this) to the point I've not been happy and have to invest money to get it playing nicely.

I had incidentally an Indonesian built PRS SE too that had a bad wiring harness and pots from the factory...

Can't say I'm sold on Indonesian workmanship.

16. bluegrass_brad

bluegrass_brad NEW MEMBER!

I own a MIM Strat and 4 Squier's (CV Jazzmaster, CV Starcaster, VM Jaguar SS bass, Squier II Fat Strat). I am looking at adding a Tele, so was poking around here. Lots of good info for sure. I can add that I had a Chinese Fender Starcaster Reissue (the semi-hollow body offset, not the cheap entry-level strat they made confusingly using the same name) on loan from a friend and liked it, so I decided to buy the Indonesian Squier CV Starcaster when they came out. I had them both for a while, so was able to do a pretty thorough side-by-side comp. The fit and finish on the Indonesian was overall much better than the Chinese. The Chinese version was much heavier as well (much heavier than any other semi-hollow I've played or owned). Like almost LP heavy. The neck profiles felt the same, but the finish and fretwork on the Indonesian neck was worlds better. Frets were well dressed and the neck is fast. Not sticky like the Chinese version. Chinese had some sharp frets as well. They sounded almost identical though. I really like the wide-range humbucker (even though they aren't true WR) that comes on these. Anyway, sorry there wasn't Tele content, but I figured it was pertinent to the discussion. Thanks again for the wealth of info on this forum.

AAT65 likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

So you guys, late last week I received a BSB Squier CV50s tele, serial number says it's a 2020, and it was MIC.
    After a dead neck pickup issue (which my local Fender authorized service center took care of over the weekend, free of charge) was sorted out, it seems abso fine 20200817_135422.jpg

TeleToneTony and beagle like this.
  18. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

These new Indo CVs are much better in quality than the MiC ones.
    Never rated the Chinese ones, but these new Indo (made in the Cort factory) ones are great.

19. CV50sFan

CV50sFan NEW MEMBER!

To be honest, I never played the Chinese CVs, but I do have both an Indonesian 50's CV Tele and an Indonesian 50's CV Strat, and I find it hard to believe that the Chinese made CVs play much, if any, better than the ones I have. The Tele has a set of Fender Texas Special pups and a Fender brass barrel bridge, and the Strat only has a set of Fender Yosemite pups, so they are modified. However, the reason they're sitting on my rack and why they get played more than any other guitar I've owned: I played each for about 30-45 seconds, unplugged, before I had my wallet out. When you pick up a special guitar, you know almost instantly. Hell, the pickups that were in them were more than okay, but I figured I'd invest a little money in them to get them right where I wanted, and now I have two guitars that I'll likely never get rid of. Don't worry about whether or not these CVs are still great guitars. They are. I sold my MIM Fender 50's Vintera Strat after owning it for two months because no matter how much time I spent playing it, I was never satisfied until I had my Squier CV in my hands.

Side note: I would definitely recommend swapping out the switch and pots for something more quality. Other than that, you're golden. I only swapped out the pickups because I wanted a certain tone. The factory ones are perfectly fine, especially for the price range.

20. CV50sFan

CV50sFan NEW MEMBER!

I'm still a relatively new player, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I'm a pretty tall guy with pretty large hands. I haven't owned a MIM or MIA Telecaster, so I'm not sure how they compare, but my CV 50's Telecaster's neck fits my large hands perfectly. No cramping even after 6+ hours of playing, which I thought was surprising because the neck does feel pretty skinny (much skinnier than the 50's Vintera Strat I had). Since I bought my MII CVs (Strat and Tele), I have tried many other Fenders/Squiers, but am always left disappointed by the feel of the neck compared to the two CVs I have. By far my favorite guitars to play to date. My suggestion would be to go into your local shop and get your hands on them, because personal preference is kind of huge when it comes to guitars. All I can say is, for me, Classic Vibe Squiers have impressed me to the point where I don't know if I'll ever buy anything BUT CVs ever again. As I'm typing/thinking that, I can't help but laugh a little because it seems so ridiculous, but then again I ditched my MIM Vintera Strat in favor of the Squier, so..... Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.