1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it was fun while it lasted... Squier Classic Vibe changes!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Teleman60, Oct 15, 2019.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Do you recall which model was which?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

The Indonesian, the one I liked best, was a natural Thinline with large wide range humbuckers.

horax likes this.
  3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've got one of those, and I love it. I swapped out the pickups, which were good, for Mojotone 72 Clones, which are outstanding.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Youre comparing 2 different CV's though. I thought you meant the same earlier.

Of course the specs will be different.

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Thats odd because i played that exact one and the 70s strat and even started a thread about it. The thinline's neck was no bigger then my chinese classic vibe 50s. Maybe even a tad thinner but more shoulder because it's after all a 70s model. Maybe it was the shoulder you were detecting and that made it feel bigger? But in any case my chinese 50s is as big a neck plus the best built CV i have owned and definitely better then the 72TL indo i played. Thats not to say the indo wasn't well made, but my 50s is absolute perfection. So with all due respect, my experience was opposite of yours even tho it was a GOOD experience overall. I liked it but just didn't get that "vibe" from it i have gotten from my tele or most of the otgher CVs i have owned. The 70s indo strat on the other hand i felt much less warm about for a few reasons including the fret sprout that was really bad. That one IMO just wasn't in the same league as the chinese CVs.

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Maybe just the differences between the two guitars? This neck was pretty chunky but it had frets that seemed to be small but taller, and the strings were horrible, so bad that I knew that I wouldn't even know if I truly liked the guitar until I tried it with new strings.

7. fender4life

I suppose it could, but have you had a CV50s tele? It seems about the same but for the shape. Bigger then a CV strat tho, yes, as is the 50s.

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I was in a shop today that had an older CIC CV Custom Tele and the new CII version. Both were a nice medium weight. Some quick observations/impressions:

Both nicely finished - no real difference.

Fretboard on CII seemed nicer and looked/felt more like rosewood … both supposedly indian laurel

Wood grain and sunburst on CIC body prettier. According to specs: CIC = alder, CII = nato.

Liked the older CIC headstock logo better

Both seemed equally resonant played acoustically ….. (didn't have time to plug them in so no idea how pickups compare)

I couldn't detect any real difference in neck shape/thickness.

jfgesquire likes this.
  9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

Do you recall if the bridge pickup on the new CII used a fiber or plastic bobbin? The Alnico 5s of the CIC version were some of the best bang for the buck pickups when it came to vintage spec'd look and sound.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Sorry ……. don't recall about the bobbin.....

Agree about the A5 CIC pickups - very satisfied with them in my CVC and CV Thinline.

11. fender4life

Ouch. Thats a bummer. I was waiting on these for the sole reason that i loved the chinese CVC except the neck was insanely thin, much more then any of the other chinese CVs. So when the indo one was announced i thought if the IL board and nato body sounded similar to a alder/rosewood tele then all i'd need as a thicker neck. I actually had TWO of the chinese CVC's, the second a few years after selling my first due to the neck. Later i tried again hoping maybe i could play it enough to get used to it but again i couldn't deal with it. The new indo offered hope, but looks like that hope is dashed. I will check one out when they arrive but if u r correct i'm done with the CVC models for good. Oh well...

12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I own a Chinese CVC tele, a Chinese CV 60s strat, and an Indonesian Tele Custom HH. The indo probably has the best neck profile and feel to me, since the CVs are heavily finished. I like a more satin feel. Still, I may not be able to resist a bsb 50s CV when they come out....

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  13. FredAU

FredAU TDPRI Member

Sorry if I missed this earlier but anyone know if they are still using pine, thought someone mentioned poplar in another thread ?

14. fender4life

They are using 3 different body woods that i know of on the new CV line made in indonesia. The 50s tele remains the same with pine. The 60s tele goes to nato. And as you heard there is poplar too. That is being used on the 70s thinline in natural finish. But if you buy the sunburst version thats going to be poplar. It may have been me you heard mention poplar, and as i said before that little gem of information however is not on fenders site in the specs for that model. They just say "soft maple". They way i found out they use poplar on the sunburst model is on the sweetwater site and also musicians friend they show poplar for the burst model of the 70s thinline. I called fender to ask and they confirmed it. The just left it off the fender site and even after i brought it up the rep i talked to I guess didn't think to get that changed because it still only mentions maple.

15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I too, own a CIC CVC Tele and a CV 60s Strat...…...and a CV 50s Tele. Have not checked out the CV HH Tele tho.....

I do also own a CV Thinline Tele (the mahoghany 69 style with 2 single coils), and that neck is definitely fuller than my other CV Teles - more of a D shape, I'd say. It is a great feeling neck and great sounding Tele IMHO.

The CIC CV Thinlines don't seem to attract quite as much interest as the others, but I really like it.

Just noticed that it seems to be missing from the new CII lineup. Too bad if it is discontinued.

Charlodius likes this.
  16. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

My tele HH custom is not from the CV line.

17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Guess I confused you with another poster or thread....thought you were referring to the new CII HH 70s Tele Deluxe or Custom....

18. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Anybody got one of the new ones yet. My preference either Thinline or 50's style. Are the pickups different or just re-badged as "Fender Designed?"

19. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

No offense to anyone, but I have a 60’s Strat and the 50’s Tele. Just my opinion, but they are WAY better than the Made in China stuff they are replacing....

nicod98 likes this.
  20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to add that the 70's tele CV models feel very similar to the (also) Indonesian VM models they are replacing. [emoji16] (tried the custom and the deluxe).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.