1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it was fun while it lasted... Squier Classic Vibe changes!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Teleman60, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

I just pulled up the Fender site and looked at the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster '50s and noticed that the bridge no longer has brass saddles. I then noticed the logo doesn't look as detailed as it use to be. On the back of the headstock it says Crafted In Indonesia and no longer Crafted In China. This is really sad. I was a huge fan of the Squier Classic Vibe series and my Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster '50s has been a great guitar.

Has this been talked about yet?

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

3. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

So the pickups are probably no longer Toneriders?

TeleToneTony and Dismalhead like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Things are always better in "the old days". Haven't you learned that here yet? :)

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think that's right. Although, hypertechnically the pickups in the CIC CVs weren't "Toneriders".

The bigger concern is, where are the vendors of Tonerider pickups going to have their pickups made, if the facility that used to make Classic Vibes moves on to making something else entirely? I think it is reasonable to ask before you buy now, where are any "Tonerider" pickups you buy actually made (and how well do they replicate the original version?)

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  6. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

It just makes the Chinese CV's more collectable, yeah!

Except I don't have one yet, boo!

TeleToneTony likes this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Someone was bending my ear, on the "superiority" of old MIK Epiphones the other day. I remember most of those to be sorta heavy and meh.
    It's a thing, this will be one too.

8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Yes.

They boosted line and made it cheaper.

Squier ha smuch , much better quality now.

I own 2019 CV70 Strat, lovely piece of wood

9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

most actually seem to think that they lowered the quality in comparison to the Chinese CV line.

10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I can tell you that craftsmanship is far better. Only wood and parts may differ

nicod98 likes this.
  11. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

I've owned a few Made In Indonesia Squiers and they weren't as nice as the Chinese made ones.

12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Time will tell which is better ... I'm waiting ...

Squawker likes this.
  13. Teleman60

Teleman60 TDPRI Member

The first couple years (08-09) there were reports of light weight Squier CV Teles then they started getting heavy around the time I picked mine up (2010-2011). The new CV line is basically rebranded Vintage Modified series. The original CV line are gone and probably never coming back. I have no doubt that the 2008-2018 versions will become low key collectors.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

While ARGUABLE the brass saddles are better, I actually switched to steel because I was going for that late 54 early 55 look on my White Blonde CV.

BUT, the headstock decal does bother me... Even though it's a Squier, I still liked at least liked the correct layout relative to the string guide of the previous gen CV.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad I got my 6.7 pound resonant as hell 50's Blond CV tele back when I did.
    I wouldn't order one of the new versions online without playing it first.

If I was tempted to take a gamble on one I would order from a supplier that had pics, serial numbers and weights of the guitars listed on their website.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

One guy says quality is much better, the other says the opposite. Why bother debating it when obviously there are other things at play with these opinions besides fact? Seriously, saying the indos are way better is a ridiculous statement IMO because for one thing the chinese have been raved about as quality goes for years and to be "way" better they'd have to be better then the USA RI lines. A little better....i might buy that but it's certainly unlikely that they'll move from china to indo and drop the price $50 and get WAY better. Lets get realistic here.

As to opinions, worthwhile or not, mine is yet to be fully formed since i have yet to see more then a couple indos and one was on par with the china versions or at least close. But certainly not better let alone WAY better. The other one was not on par at all and you could use the edge of the fingerboard to saw wood, something that not one of the 7 CV china models i had would do. Also, every one of the china CVs i owned had absolutly PERFECT, and i mean dead perfect neck pockets that were as good as any and better then many if not most fenders. The 2 indos i saw were not that great. Ok, but not perfect by any measure. I did have one china model with a QC issue that should never have passed, but thats 1 in 7 which are no worse odds than i have seen with any fender/squier line till you get into the $1500 and up range at least. I have only owned one indo squier which was the 72 vintage mod tele. I owned it about a month before i could finally find someone to take it off my hands, and that was about 30 days too long. Bad neck pocket. Acceptable at best. So if thats any indication i won't be singing the praises of the indo line overall. But i'm sure some will be good and i intend to consider at least one. Possibly that maple bodies 72TL. If not, the nato/indian laurel 60s CVC. But till they've all been released and i've had a chance to see, play, or own a bunch of them, i have my opinions on the "likely" difference in the china and indo line, but i won't make blanket statements like one is way better till i know that. Likely i'd never make THAT statement at all for the reason i cited earlier.

Randypttt likes this.
  17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I can only say that I have never had an Indonesian VM series 2012+ models that was of lower quality than the Squier CV (they were equal). The Indonesian CVs (70s models) were very similar too.
    I have seen a few mid priced very nice Indonesian Fender teles but only lower priced Chinese models.

The one affinity and CV models prove that lower quality models and better ones can both me produced in the same country at the same time.

It would be wrong to think that the cost of the parts decides at what price things get sold. There are so many other costs, like labour, import taxes and so on.... Marketing decides on the prices. So anyone thinking it is stupid to think you cannot have high quality at a lower price has fallen into that marketing trap.

Different wood does NOT mean that it is bad for guitar building.
    Look at the pine used for the 50s CV models. I don't think there were ever large quantities of pine teles made in the US. Why not? Since the CV got such good reviews by pro and amateur players and I can only agree with them, I think the pine Tele is great.
    There is a perception that teles should be made in alder or ash, but does that make them better guitars? Nope, they may sound different, but the perception that one type of wood is better than the other is just marketing.

So they may have searched for wood that is cheaper in Indonesia, they may have searched for a cheaper workforce, for a country from which it is cheaper to import, resulting in lower cost and giving marketing a chance to create the perception that the most expensive squiers are somehow not as good as the cheapest fenders, or not as good as the older CV's, but that's nothing but marketing at work.

18. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I don't think anyone thinks different wood sounds worse, but it does sound different. All i have ever had were ash and alder teles till my CV50s pine tele. Pine sounds very different, and if you want that typical ash tele sound you won't get it. It's got far far more fat mids and lows with a smoother top end. Thats what I personally consider with different woods. Do i want that different sound. The pine sounds very different but it's not a bad sound, It's just not the same and if u want that ash tele sound you aren't gonna be happy with pine. You may like it, but it's not going to be that sound you wanted. Personally i don't have a problem with alternate woods IF i happen to like the results. I do like the pine a lot, but it doesn't take the place of an ash tele when i want that sound. But when the CV line went to indonesia they are using woods i have no experience with so i know they won't sound the same. If for example the new indo CVC which i am interested in checking out doesn't sound like alder/rosewood with it's nato body and laurel board, chances are pretty good i'm not going to like it as much because my fav guitar tone of all is a alder/rosewood tele and thats what i'm hoping for from it. I may like it but if it's not real close to that i'm out because i want one for that sound. On the other hand i am also interested in the 72TL with it's maple body because it snaps like crazy after picking one up recently. I have had issues with two 72TL's i have had due to muddy lows, and i actually think the maple might be better then ash in rectifying that issue.

But when i want a certain sound like a 60s strat, the last thing i want is nato and laurel like the new 60s CVs are being made with because I and extremely familiar with that sound being my #1 for decades, and i know that wood will not sound the way i want. I'm 95% certain. I've bought guitars with alternate woods and often been really disappointed. Not because they aren't good, they just didn't sound like what i wanted. It's no different than anything else....pickups, hardware etc. You know what u like and to get that sound you need that part. You don't buy a hot pickup if you like vintage winds. It's the same with wood.

19. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

My experience with new indo models is I've bought CV 70s Strat (ICS factory) and it was completely terrible guitar. The action too high, even after attempts to lower it down and make it in tune in octaves I failed to make it playable. The overall feeling was it had very bad quality. I've returned it and bought VM 70s (which is basically the same guitar, also ICS factory) and all was fine. I have two chinese CGS factory Classic Vibe Teles and the build quality is top notch, no single point of complain (maybe the 3 way switch which I changed to the Fender 3way on one guitar and 4way on the other), they are just perfect straight from the factory.

20. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Looks like Fender has elevated some of the Vintage Modified line to Classic Vibe. I've noticed this with the basses and other models. Haven't actually seen one of the Teles yet but I hope they are on par with the CIC ones because they have been great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.