1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it seems I will be preforming in front of people on Friday - never have done that before.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

In sum, it was a fantastic experience. I screwed up a little, right towards the end, but all in all I was very happy with how it went.

The band was great, they introduced me as their special guest and called me up to the stage. It was outside - really nice day in here in New Mexico. There were probably about 150 or so people there at the breweries tasting event for St. Patrick's Day. The crowd was in a good mood and were enjoying the band. The band had played for about 40 minutes when they called me up so I went on a few songs before the end of their first set. It was an interesting crowd. Everything from older folks, a handful of motorcycle club members in their leathers, Mom's and Dads.

I went up and asked for a round of applause for the band. Talked just real briefly with the guys about the song, got my instructors guitar and turned to face the crowd. Whoa, wait a minute - there is a microphone here. I have never song into a microphone. How close should I be? How far? Oh well, lets get going.

So I went the the chord progression once before I sang. I could not believe how the band just picked up on it hearing it for the first time. I mean it is a simple song but the strumming pattern is a little funky and they just nailed. it. Could this be my song they are playing? It sounds so awesome.

Then I started singing. I couldn't hear myself at first so I got closer to the mike, and that was better. Still something to work on in the future. I did the first two verses and it all went ok. Then I told my instructor to take it away and he did this awesome mandolin solo.

So I started up again with verses three and four. I had a little bobble with going to the 5 chord on the third verse but you couldn't even hear it as the band covered my mistake. This was my first time playing with a band and it was so cool. When they started up it was like a boat powering up, and they just carried me along. If I screwed up it didn't matter as they were just powering the song along. Really kind of exhilarating.

I knew there was going to be a break after the fourth verse but I kind of forgot to say: take it away... But the banjo player just launched in. And that produced one of the moments where I was kind of confused because he was on my right but the sound was coming from my left - which is where the monitor was. It took me a minute to figure it all out but that was ok because he was soloing away. Then I was going to launch back in but the guitar player took a solo too so we just continued to play.

So we are in the home stretch. Verse 5 goes ok, but then I actually started to look at the audience and that distracted me for a second. So for verse 6 was a little bobble with the chord changes but no harm no foul. But I wish I could have that moment back.

Then, what for me was the worst, but also kind of funny. Now you have to remember I have always viewed myself as a terrible singer. I don't think I would have been brave enough to do this 5 years ago - thinking I wouldn't want to subject people to my singing. But I took the opportunity and went with it - and it was great. But that last minute.

This was a basic blues tune - dead simple I - IV - V. So we do the last verse and I have already messed up a bit. So, like in many a blues song, I do the last verse then go back to the V to do the repeat the last line. And often in a blues song the band will stop right there so you just hear the singer. And, these guys being pros, did just that. But I was not expecting it! So it was just my voice, all by its lonesome. Yikes! I got through it but it was not the best moment of the night. :)

I have video which I may try to post. The nice thing is you can hear some positive hoots and hollering in the background so people were enjoying the song. My family said it got as big an applause as any song during the night. So that made me feel good. I don't know if it is true or not. I was kind of in a fog right when it ended.

Oh, I forgot one of the best parts. I had just launched into the first verse and I heard my instructor say to the guitarist: "Didn't I tell you- just like Dylan". :)

I am glad I have the video because in going back and listening I realize that I am not as bad as I thought. No one is ever going to suggest I go try out for The Voice, but with the right song I can sing it in a convincing way that suits the song. I have always thought I was pretty cringe-worthy. And I am not. I can sing a song in front of people and have them enjoy it. It still kind of boggles my mind.

So I have performed a song that I wrote in front of an audience. I know it pales in comparison to the stuff that folks on this forum do. But I still feel proud. It feels like I am now a member of a prestigious club. It isn't the big leagues, no one came to hear me. But still I was up there entertaining a crowd with my music. Feels really good.

I thanked the band members profusely and went back to my family and enjoyed a few adult beverages. Couldn't get to sleep for the longest time.

Doesn't seem reel - can't wait to do it again. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Congratulations, Throttleneck! You did great, something a lot of people are scared to do. You just did your hardest show, anything after is gonna be easier in one way or another.

3. jvanginkel

jvanginkel TDPRI Member

Great job! Making music with other people is an experience like nothing else.

4. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome!

Throttleneck likes this.
  5. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

@Throttleneck, I am very happy about your success! This is one of the greatest stories I ever heard about somebody's stage experience. Carry on!

Throttleneck likes this.
  6. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Congrats man!!!
    Two things to remember:
    Nobody and I mean I nobody gets through a gig without making mistakes....I don't care who you are....
    And 2nd....you figured it out on you're own,
    But the average person needs to be pretty close up to the mic when they sing. And you need to sing directly into the mic. If there is a part that is sung loudly you can back up a little...like 2-3 inches. The only person that needed to back up way more than that is Whitney Houston. But the average person doesn't have anywhere near the power she did.

MisterZ likes this.
  7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Nice, thats what I'm talking about! It is a huge rush having fun playing music on a stage. Hope you can get back out again soon, keep it up.

Thx for sharing the adventures...

JustABluesGuy and Throttleneck like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

(cheering)

way to go, throttleneck!

"when they started up it was like a boat powering up"

love it, perfect description, now you're hooked, aren't you?

JustABluesGuy and Throttleneck like this.
  9. Throttleneck

Thanks everyone. @gtrjunior - yea, I still have to work on the whole microphone thing. Clearly close is better.

@Big_Bend - I thought about your post when I was lying there not sleeping - you were spot on.

@ndcaster - yes hooked. Also very inspired to keep working on my songs.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. jvanginkel

jvanginkel TDPRI Member

I always tell the singers I work with to get in to the mic and give lots of signal. As a singer, if you are too loud in the mix, that is the sound man's fault. If you are too quiet in the mix, it might be your fault. Someone put mic in front of you for a reason... They want to hear you.

11. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

That all sounds so awesome! Really happy for you! Congrats man :) Definitely sounds like a hell of a confidence boost, but also so much fun! Hope to see you in front of another crowd soon ;)

Throttleneck likes this.
  12. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Fantastic! So, when do you do it again?

Tonemonkey and Throttleneck like this.
  13. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

That post made my day. Happy for you bro

Throttleneck likes this.
  14. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

good on ya

first time on in front of 150+

good job fella

Throttleneck likes this.
  15. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Congratulations, sounds like a great first time out!

Throttleneck likes this.
  16. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Great to read this - congratulations! And please post the video when you can.

Throttleneck likes this.
  17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Nice job and cool description.

What blues song has 6 verses?

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  18. Throttleneck

It was probably two too many. :)

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  19. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Yeah but what was it?

20. Throttleneck

It was a song I wrote myself. It is called There's a Rooster in my Hen house. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.