1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it seems I will be preforming in front of people on Friday - never have done that before.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Thank you everyone for you support, encouragement, and advice. There is some really good stuff in here. I realized I have never played an acoustic standing up so I will do a little of that. The song is dead simple but I'll print up some lyrics just in case I get brain freeze. I don't think I can forget how to play E - A - Bm. But hey, anything is possible.

I haven't felt the high from being on stage for years so I am looking forward to that part. And I have bombed on stage before so I know I can live through the experience.

I know that my instructor will be there, and I know I have his back. He has already told me that if things go south just to let the band pick it up and then jump back in. Just like forgetting your lines (I have never done that!)

I am reading eveything that folks are offering up. Thanks!

I will probably have one of the local brews. I am going to see if I can go earlier rather than later so there is less sitting around. I am afraid nerves might have me sipping away at the beer more than I should. :)

You guys are awesome.

2. jvanginkel

jvanginkel TDPRI Member

I would add, find some target things around the room to look at that are just above everyone's heads. Things like the tops of doorways or exit signs. When you look at those, it seems like you're looking at everyone, but you never catch anyone's eye awkwardly. Also just enjoy it and don't worry about mistakes, they're part of live music. If you play a song that's 4 minutes long and you play 6 notes every second (easy when you're strumming), you will play 1440 notes. If you miss 5 or 6 of them, that will mean you played a minimum of 1,434 good musical notes and 5 or 6 bad ones. That's 99.6% good notes, a killer positive percentage in any other field.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Forget all that stuff about being nervous, you'll probably find it's a lot like holding a pretty girl's hand you can't wait for more stuff to happen! Have FUN, wear two different kinds of shoes, it'll give you something to talk about. The real problem will probably be keeping you OFF the stage after your one song. Standing on a stage with a crowd out in front of you revs up the juices like almost nothing else!

4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Save the alcohol and any other drugs for after you perform.
    Alcohol does NOT make you sound better, although it may make you THINK you are nailing it.

Being relaxed comes from within, so you don't need a drink to relax.

Being relaxed comes from being prepared.

If your strings are anywhere near needing replacement, do it two days before your gig so they have time to stretch in and stay in tune.

Best of luck! You'll be great. And you WILL want to do it again.

Felino likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My motto for playing live - everyone starts and stops together and 'the band plays on' in between -- no matter what mistakes are made!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

That feeling after your first gig only happens once.... then you realise , this is why people play music live to an audience

whew... we did it.... as you look across to your band members..... then you hear the applause, etc...

My first gig on Bass was in front of the whole primary school.. the Bass kid in my band was going away to camp and couldn't do the show... I had to step in after only one practice with the band.... 4 songs.. though we only played 3 of them...

First I had to set up all the gear, set a mix that should work..... then it was on.... I didn't have a chance to get my sheets out and had to wing it.... fortunately I nailed it, much to my surprise..... even a small solo during one bridge....

that look across to the other kids after the final song, whew we did it, was one of relief and elation... I didn't even hear the cheering until a few moments later..... pure gold....:)

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's fantastic! It's normal and natural to be a little nervous...it's ok. Be happy have fun.

Get up there, take a deep breath and focus on something familiar. Your instructor will be there. He's familiar. Focus on him, stand there and play just like you did at your lesson. It's not so different.

Play the song and have fun. All will be well!

8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats and good luck! Practice in front of some friends maybe, to check for 'brain freeze'. Be confident that you have something worth sharing, if only because your instructor believes it and believes in you.

And I must agree with this...

...we all sound better when the audience is drunk. :D

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  9. Bungler

Bungler TDPRI Member

I would suggest asking to use your own guitar. It's what you wrote and practiced it on I assume, right? That will just make you one step more comfortable.

Remember that you will always feel like you could have played better. Nerves will impede your performance but remember that the audience is hearing this for the first time, they have NO idea what to expect, so you have the absolute advantage in that regard.

Don't over analyze. Have a drink before you hit the stage (don't over do it!), and have fun! Remember if you aren't having fun... why the hell are you doing it in the first place? You got this.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Most important thing in music, KEEP ON, KEEPING on, no matter what, even if they do shoot the drummer. (it's been threatened enough times it could happen)

11. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Thanks again everyone. I have to admit it feels like becoming a member of a special club. Like the green jacket for The Masters.

I know without a doubt it is going to be epic. Great or Bad, I'll never forget it. If it is great, that is great. If it is bad - just a lesson learned for the next time.

You always learn more from the mistakes than the successes.

Right now I am just so psyched. Tomorrow the nerves will probably come back. :)

12. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Good luck, friend, I know you'll have fun doing the tune and once it's over you'll find yourself jonesing for more. I started learning to play guitar at the age of 49 and at the age of 57 joined a band as a bass player and backup vocalist. I never played bass before, nor did I sing really, but it turns out that bass players are always in demand and lots of folks are willing to give a newb a shot. It took quite a while to become comfortable performing, largely because I didn't have much confidence in my skills but really, it turns out that I played well enough that no one noticed even though it didn't feel that way to me. We gigged two or three times a month for the next three years and like other posters have said, the anxiety becomes much less as your confidence in your abilities grows. Until then you have to have faith that you belong there. :) Have fun fulfilling your dream, it's never, ever too late.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you arent a little nervous before a set , it's abnormal , you have some seasoned performers with you and will help you to carry it off, that end is covered ,fine , now take a deep breath and once the energy flows go with it , ignore the audience in front of you and flow with the tune as you wrote it , once you are into it you will buzz for hours after , that is the sole reason why us loonies love to play live, you will be surprised how cool the experience is , and may be the start of something for you,

In my town every Saturday night there is a coffee house hosting an open mic, for bands, performers, I saw one guy play the spoons,and another for interpretive dancing , but 99% is musicians rocking out 3-4 tunes some covers some originals 3.00 admission and 1.00 for a coffee ( free admision for the talent) its just a great local night out. and gives people the opportunity to get up and play.

Have fun and cruise with it , But you have to post to let us know how it went!

OH Yea , "Break a Leg!"

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Like others said, don't sit down again until after the show. Also, since your instructor is the only guy you've played with you need to lock on him like he's the only guy there. He'll take you through with the other players like a tour guide.

15. Snowind

Snowind Tele-Meister

Sounds like a great opportunity for your first time playing live in front of an audience. It's really the ideal scenario. You're ONLY doing one song and you wrote the song!
    Piece of cake- keep telling yourself that!

16. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations! Have fun and enjoy it!

17. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Lots of good advice here. The only thing I might add is this.

Just remember. The audience is on your side. They want you to do well, and will forgive any mistakes.

Brian Wright likes this.
  18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Have fun.

For me there's something about the ritual of changing from middle aged dad to middle aged rock star - having a shave, s**t and shower, putting my stage clothes on ( nothing fancy but I don't want to look like I've just walked in from the garden), having a light bite, not drinking caffeine before a gig ( or alcohol), getting to a venue and checking it out, having a pee five minutes before hitting the stage and then feeling like I might belong there. If you can play the song then the rest is just sports psychology.

19. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

All you can do is just do it. I've been playing in front of people for 30 years and I still get nervous. You just have to get out there!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  20. John O

John O Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Definitely do it, throttleneck, take the plunge.
    I agree, no booze prior, you want to be sharp. There is nothing like performing - a unique thrill, and so satisfying for you. You will make mistakes, don't sweat it. Almost no one will notice, and those that do will understand, they have made worse mistakes than you!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.