1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Well, it seems I will be preforming in front of people on Friday - never have done that before.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Hi Folks,

A while back I posted about taking music lessons at 60 and what a great experience it has been. One of the things my instructor has had me working on is writing my own songs. Now I don't sing. I come from a long line of bad singers. The first thing that anyone says after I try to sing is: "Wow, you sound kind of like Dylan". And they don't mean it in a good way. :) (Want to note that I actually like Dylan as a singer but that is a post for another day).

Anyway, I wrote this goofy little blues song - simple blues progression I-IV-V. And I sang it for him at my lesson on Monday. I guess he liked it.

I need to point out that he is the guitar/mandolin player and lead singer in a very good local bluegrass band. They have a couple of albums out - do their own songs, and so on. They are playing here in town in a brewery tasting room on Friday. Probably around 100 - 150 people.

As I said, my instructor said he liked the song. And then he said to me: "You have to come and sing it with the band on Friday. We'll call you up, I'll let you play my guitar (his Gibson Hummingbird) and I'll play mandolin".

So how could I say no? This is something I have always wanted to do. But I am also just a bit nervous. Ok, maybe a lot nervous. :) I have never really played with anyone but my instructor. I have never played before strangers before - let alone sing! Once long ago I was a theater major so at least I have been in front of people but, yikes!

So I am bouncing back and forth between nervousness and excitement.

My plan is to just have fun. It doesn't matter if it goes well or goes badly, it will happen - and hopefully be first step down a path the could lead to someplace fun.

If you had told me 4 months ago that I would soon be singing in front of people I would have wanted to know what drugs you were on. I told him when I started lessons that I don't sing. How the heck did this happen?!

I am going to try and not think about it too much but if you have any words of advice they would be appreciated.

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! You'll be fine... just practice, try to relax.. One song, it'll go by quick, and you'll be rushing for hours afterwords lol.

Have fun, let us know how it turned out... take care

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

nobody expects you to be perfect. except maybe you.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Go for it!

Yea, you'll probably be nervous. Your fingers will probably feel like they have lead weights on them. Palms will be a little sweaty.

It's part of the deal though. The rush afterwards and during is worth it. The good news is playing with others is a little easier. I get most nervous when I'm by myself up there.

I can't speak for people that will be watching you, but typically I see people that have the guts to play as above those on the sidelines. Doesn't matter if they are great or not so great. They got up there and went for it and that's a big deal.

Have a beer or two is my advice. Just enough to take a little edge off. It helps.

5. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't really have any advice here, but I wanted to wish you luck and say to have fun! I think it's pretty cool of your teacher to set that up

JustABluesGuy and Frank'n'censed like this.
  6. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Best wishes, and I'm sure you'll do fine. Please follow up and let us know it went.

7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I have not climbed on stage yet with a guitar, but I used to be a touring comedian back in the late-80's and even opened for Paul Reiser once. I know a few things about stage fright and understand your nervousness. Let me offer some advice.

1. Have a drink first and relax.
    2. Set the stage lighting so that you can't actually see the audience. This was a tip by a veteran comic that I used on my first gig. Since you can't see them, you will feel like you are just playing with the instructor on stage...you have already done that, so no big deal.
    3. Don't be critical with yourself, even if you mess something up, the audience will probably have no clue so just roll through it. The worst thing you can do is draw attention to a mistake, it will increase the nervousness and thus the mistakes.
    4. Wear a hat down low or sunglasses.....same principle as #2
    5. Don't eat onion soup before hand....trust me on that on.

JustABluesGuy and Durberville like this.
  8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

First of all, congratulations on following your dreams, 2ndly, it sounds like you have a great teacher...I love your attitude about having fun & you honestly can't lose with that mindset! There's a great book I'm reviewing right now, called The Inner Game of Music. If you can find a library copy before your gig, the premise is very basic, yet profoundly powerful...by elliminating the interference of the negative, inner voice, you can overcome, virtually anything!

Knock 'em dead & have the time of your life...if I lived in the area, I'd be there, cheering you along!!

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

In a band setting it's easy to hide a little bit. If you miss a change just relax until it comes around again. The band should do a little solo if that happens to cover up like it was meant to be.... Plus it lengthens the song and a 1_4_5 progression is all about soloing in spots......Good luck let us know how it goes.
    Cheers

Mechanic likes this.
  10. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm guessing you are going to have a pretty appreciative and forgiving crowd. I think getting on stage with a good band and playing a song you wrote is a great accomplishment for anyone. Nervousness is just energy waiting to be used. Have a blast:)

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Congrats and best wishes for your first onstage performance! Remember to breathe as steadily as possible and try to realize that the audience is on your side. I've found that audiences seem to enjoy live performances and . . . at 60, you're still a youngster compared to me. :)

12. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

You'll do just fine if you relax and be yourself. Your instructor probably sees something in you that you don't see, and that's a good thing. Have fun--that's what it's all about.

JustABluesGuy and drlucky like this.
  13. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Get the adrenaline dump early so you can relax (stand near the front and turn around to look at the crowd before you play). If you can't pull this off, stand up and look at the crowd when you are introduced. This will give you a few seconds before you pick up the guitar. Get rid of the fight or flight feeling, and then you can have fun.

Aimlessly strum the chords or noodle quietly for bit when you pick up the guitar to relax. Then finally count the song in, and no matter what... don't stop :)

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  14. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

You know the old advice, imagine the people in front of you naked, and you'll feel relaxed...

Now, my advice...the majority of people that are going to listen to you are not able to play an musical instrument, any instrument, let alone compose a song. So, you are above them, not just literally, on the stage, but intellectually as well. Hence, emotionally, too...so, don't be afraid, go and get 'em...[emoji3]

JustABluesGuy, hrstrat57 and drlucky like this.
  15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Go ahead and be nervous -- then channel that nervous energy into your performance and rock the house!

8barlouie, 2 Headed Goat and drlucky like this.
  16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Neon construction paper tape the words (and the key/changes if you need to) on the stage...big black letters.

If they are there you'll never look at them....

Been doin it for years, including set list on another neon paper....

:)

8barlouie, 2 Headed Goat and Felino like this.
  17. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Sounds like your instructor has confidence in you. Yeah, it's kinda like jumping off the high dive the first time...but the rush you get afterwards is the best high out there.

You'll be great! Have fun, and let us know how it was...

2 Headed Goat and JustABluesGuy like this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

go for it

you won't be there auditioning to be the next Frank Sinatra

have fun, you've paid enough dues!

2 Headed Goat and JustABluesGuy like this.
  19. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Your knees may also be weak. Your arms may also be heavy.
    You'll be fine so long as when you start there isn't any vomit on your shirt.

Matt G and RLee77 like this.
  20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Break a leg!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.