Well, I'm water fasting this week...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

you dont have to go to extremes to reap the benefits of fasting. Read about dawn to dusk fasting.

this lady Ayse Leyla Mindikoglu, MD, MPH. Very smart lady happens to be my GI doc..:) she is so good to me and going to save my life :)

"According to World Health Organization data, obesity affects over 650 million people worldwide, placing them at risk for any number of health conditions," said Ayse Leyla Mindikoglu, MD, MPH, lead author of the study and associate professor of medicine and surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, Texas. "Feeding and fasting can significantly impact how the body makes and uses proteins that are critical to decreasing insulin resistance and maintaining a healthy body weight. Therefore, the timing of and duration between meals could be important factors to consider for people struggling with obesity-related conditions."

The pilot study included 14 healthy individuals who fasted (no food or drink) approximately 15 hours a day from dawn to sunset for 30 days during Ramadan. Researchers collected blood samples from the individuals before beginning the religious fast, again at the fourth week of fasting, and then one-week post-fasting. Resulting blood samples showed increased levels of tropomyosin (TPM) 1, 3 and 4, proteins that have a role in maintaining healthy cells and cell repairs important to the body's response to insulin.

TPM3 plays a key role in increasing insulin sensitivity, which allows the cells of the body to use blood glucose more effectively, reducing blood sugar. Findings from the study showed a significant increase in TPM3 gene protein products between the initiation of the fast and the test one week afterwards. Similar results over that period were found for TPM1 and TPM4 gene protein products.

"We are in the process of expanding our research to include individuals with metabolic syndrome and NAFLD to determine whether results are consistent with those of the healthy individuals," said Dr. Mindikoglu. "Based on our initial research, we believe that dawn-to-sunset fasting may provide a cost-effective intervention for those struggling with obesity-related conditions."

DrPepper likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

More than one Muslim friend of mine has to me that they gain weight over Ramadan. It's those after-sunset parties.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ve never done it but have heard after the first couple days hunger starts to subside , is there any truth to this?

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

What I don’t understand about fasting as a part of dieting is are you supposed to fast forever as part of every day diet or is it every couple weeks or months ?

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

For me, yes. The cravings were not as bad yesterday and today. The first day at the 24th hour point was the toughest.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

For me, I plan to do an extended fast once a month and intermittent fasting the rest of the month.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

R-i-g-h-t....so it's Whataburger's fault that I chose an 1,800 calorie burger and fries for a single meal several times a week...:rolleyes:

So what you're telling me is that you are an apostate...:twisted:

drf64 likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm off to the jazz guitar forum where they get my humour ;)

DrPepper and getbent like this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

bye felicia.

DrPepper likes this.
  10. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Water only fasting - no problem. I've done it many a time over the years and I'm now 73 and in good health. No medications etc......

I do a 10 day fast with another 5 days gentle re-feeding with appropriate plant foods. Maybe every couple of years.
    For those who don't understand the mechanisms at work - After the 1st 48 hours, the body has used up its glucose stores and begins to convert fat to ketones. This becomes the energy source. It's an evolutionary mechanism that came about before the 3 meals a day syndrome. Eat, and look for food again, even if it takes days.

The mistake some people make when doing a fast longer than 3 days, is to take it very easy. The body prefers a resting state while fasting.

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

So the idea is to revert to a pre-evolution state.
    Nice!

12. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Holic

Yep - as a temporary measure to clean out the left-over garbage in our bodies from the devolved fast food, next to zero nutrition diet that modern man has been conned into eating.

13. Boubou

That is TOTAL BS
    There are no left over garbage in your system
    Number 35 on my ignore list

14. Boubou

All of the species on our planet depend on eating for survival.
    Fasting is good for you.
    The long term result of fasting is death.
    Fasting is good for you.
    Fasting is like working without pay.
    Fasting is good for you

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I'm approaching the 96 hour. I will eat again Sunday after 3:30 pm, I just started a batch of bone broth, a cup of that will be my first meal.

Not as hard as I thought it would be, but, I still have 3 days to go.

Dropped another pound last night, but, any weight I lose during the fast could come back. Taking a little salt each day is supposed to help with that. My daily glass of water (I drink 64-70 ounces a day, be it coffee, green tea, or, water) with apple cider vinegar and salt is a welcome treat.

My mental focus is sharp, no brain fog. Physically, I don't feel any different from an ordinary day.

I am starting to look forward to eating again, but, I can wait.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I have decided to break the fast today, at 3:30 this afternoon it will be 120 hours. I'm good with that... Next, intermittent fasting through the month of March then another extended water fast in April...

By the way, I'm breaking the fast with home made bone broth, it's cooking now and smells great... Might have been a factor in my decision..

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you read up about it, you'll find that periods of fasting IS good for you. People have drowned, yet drinking water is good for you.

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Remember that fasting is a lot closer to starving than eating is. Think of it like a meter. Starving on the right, Eating on the left. The fasting mark is way over towards the right. JMO and I built the meter.:)

Good luck with your effort.

DrPepper likes this.
  19. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Are you allowed to drink Dr. Pepper?

DrPepper likes this.
  20. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

You know you don’t have to eat that crap right? There’s plenty of nutrition in the grocery store.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.