Well if that ain't the early 1970's....

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Dr. Jeffrey McDonald, the 'Fatal Vision' killer, and his attorney Bernard Segal. 1974.

I like chasing down and refreshing on old crime stories, or new ones, and stumbled onto this pic today.

mac07-jpg.921357

Ben Stiller in "Do It!" mode from Starsky and Hutch meets Larry David: The Early Years!

5259555_700b.jpg

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I wore a huge velvet purple bow tie at my first wedding.:oops: I was stylin’ at the time though.:D
Me, too! It was for a dinner club gig. We also had pink tuxes.

Someone had turned them into sideman tuxes: no pockets, no lining. It gets hot up there.

I liked how hairstyles and clothing choices created categories of "looks." It's interesting to think how someone's hair could mark their appearance and suggest personalities.

Long, straight hair pulled back into a ponytail.
'Fros created a class of people different than the ponytailists.
Beatle grow outs were the most common.
Short hair plus full beard.
There was a particular look with shortish hair with straight bangs to the middle of the forehead. In combination with full beard. This would be Portland in 1971.

Glasses styles also played into this.

I had a friend in high school with a crewcut and beard, a la John Lennon in the early 70s. One day, we saw each other at opposite ends of an otherwise empty hall. As we walked toward each other, we didn't make eye contact or smile. Then, right before we passed, we each simultaneously bowed our heads and gave the Black power salute (one fist in the air). We were really impressed with ourselves, just automatically joking with a radical salute in a school hallway. Think John Lennon and Mick Taylor doing that. That's what we looked like, hairwise.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Me, too! It was for a dinner club gig. We also had pink tuxes.

Someone had turned them into sideman tuxes: no pockets, no lining. It gets hot up there.

I liked how hairstyles and clothing choices created categories of "looks." It's interesting to think how someone's hair could mark their appearance and suggest personalities.

Long, straight hair pulled back into a ponytail.
'Fros created a class of people different than the ponytailists.
Beatle grow outs were the most common.
Short hair plus full beard.
There was a particular look with shortish hair with straight bangs to the middle of the forehead. In combination with full beard. This would be Portland in 1971.

Glasses styles also played into this.

I had a friend in high school with a crewcut and beard, a la John Lennon in the early 70s. One day, we saw each other at opposite ends of an otherwise empty hall. As we walked toward each other, we didn't make eye contact or smile. Then, right before we passed, we each simultaneously bowed our heads and gave the Black power salute (one fist in the air). We were really impressed with ourselves, just automatically joking with a radical salute in a school hallway. Think John Lennon and Mick Taylor doing that. That's what we looked like, hairwise.
Haaa, yeah. I grew up in the Bay Area and in the late 60s I had a math teacher that dressed all out everyday and looked like he just walked off the Yellow Submarine. He was pretty hip.

1guy

Tele-Meister
It’s hard to believe that’s what we’ll dressed men looked like back then. I looked back at my wedding pics from 1974 and was horrified at my chocolate brown tux and ruffled shirt. Me and my groomsmen in matching idiotic looking rented outfits. Can you imagine actually owning an outfit like that. I’d take a picture of a picture with my phone but it’s too embarrassing. And it did happen. I’m still married to the same woman.

I sold men's clothing, awhile back, and we also had tux rentals. I can't tell you how many times I warned guys that if you rented *fill in hideous color combo* your future kids would one day look at that picture of you and tease you mercilessly.... usually that worked.

I was a pre-teen and in my early teens, in the 70s, so I have pics like these. But the funny thing is I looked like a 12 year old pimp.

It's all good though, bruh. The 70s were just a special time fashion-wise.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Polyester ruled!
Dingo boots, desert boots, flares, bell bottoms, wide white leather belts, white shoes, puka shell necklaces, English Leather, Hai Karate, Brut, and later, platform shoes.
I was only guilty of the boots, flares and bell bottoms.
Of course, my groovy, wavy dark brown hair reached my shoulder blades before it waved goodbye.
At least I never disco-ed down to check out the show.;):)

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
Those three '70s guys should have a Sharks versus Jets rumble with these three '70s guys:

DAZFdcEXgAUCAzV.jpg

This pic takes me back to college days.....looks like the middle eastern engineering students at KU. If there was a Trans Am and a few blonds in the background, it'd be spot on.

Or the Festrunk brothers......"we are, two wild and crazy guys!"

Last edited: