Well, I went with Velcro...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by russpurdy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

So I have spent tons of time trying to get around using Velcro on my pedalboard. I finally decided to just go for it. Went to Rone (Canadian version of Home Depot) and picked up some 2 inch wide industrial Velcro. Came home and strapped everything on. Gotta say, I'm not sure why I spent so much time avoiding the stuff. The Velcro holds extremely well (couldn't see needing anything stronger) and it is easy enough to move pedals and make modifications.

2. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Tele-Meister

I just got my first pedal board set up and I was also a little hesitant to use velcro, but now that I have... wouldn't have it any other way

3. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

By Mary Bellis

"One lovely summer day in 1948, a Swiss amateur-mountaineer and inventor decided to take his dog for a nature hike. The man and his faithful companion both returned home covered with burrs, the plant seed-sacs that cling to animal fur in order to travel to fertile new planting grounds. The man neglected his matted dog, and with a burning curiosity ran to his microscope and inspected one of the many burrs stuck to his pants. He saw all the small hooks that enabled the seed-bearing burr to cling so viciously to the tiny loops in the fabric of his pants. George de Mestral raised his head from the microscope and smiled thinking, "I will design a unique, two-sided fastener, one side with stiff hooks like the burrs and the other side with soft loops like the fabric of my pants. I will call my invention 'velcro' a combination of the word velour and crochet. It will rival the zipper in its ability to fasten." Mestral's idea met with resistance and even laughter, but the inventor 'stuck' by his invention. Together with a weaver from a textile plant in France, Mestal perfected his hook and loop fastener. By trial and error, he realized that nylon when sewn under infrared light, formed tough hooks for the burr side of the fastener. This finished the design, patented in 1955. The inventor formed Velcro Industries to manufacture his invention. Mestral was selling over sixty million yards of Velcro per year. Today it is a multi-million dollar industry. Not bad for an invention based on Mother Nature."

4. Six T. Six

Six T. Six Tele-Meister

I see ads on craigslist selling pedals that mention 'never put Velcro on this pedal'. Does this imply craigslist lurkers like me can scoop up pedals with Velcro already on them at a discount?

I love the stuff. It's on all my pedals.

5. baxterhuxtable

baxterhuxtable TDPRI Member

If you don't want velcro on the bottom of you pedals, first apply blue painters tape to the pedal and then attach velcro to that. That way you can always remove it if you want to sell the pedal. The painters tape will come off without peeling the paint on the pedal!

6. Wagster

Wagster Tele-Meister

Musicians guide to Velcro.

Velcro on your pedals? Cool

Velcro on your shoes? Uncool

7. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Do you put the hook part on the pedal and the fluffy surface on the board or the other way round? Is there an accepted convention for this?

8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Furry on the board for me, hook on the pedal. Lots of folks do that i think.

9. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Everyone seems to put the hooks on the pedal. Not sure why, except maybe that it might stick to a carpet if it weren't on a pedal board (which I actually find sort of maddening).

10. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I only use velcro if I absolutely cannot use a screw-based method. With velcro, I eventually had a sticky, nasty mess, and the velcro ruined the rubber base of some of my pedals, which made them unusable as stand-alone pedals (not mounted to a board).

I use the bike chain link method to mount my pedals. The pedals don't come off or move without a screwdriver, which has its benefits and negatives, but my pedals keep their stock rubber backs and I never have to deal with the eventual goo. Yuck!

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Velcro for me:

-easy to get
    -easy to apply
    -easy to switch out pedals quickly

I'm not really worried about theft since I have everything patched and wired so tightly that it would take some time to swipe a pedal and I really could care less selling a pedal with Velcro on it. To me it's a plus.

12. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Wow...great idea.

I avoided velcro too...mostly because I'm anal about my gear...but I figured it's time to grow up and not succomb to mental illness. :lol:

13. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Said the person with the clown from "It" as his avatar:eek:

14. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

Most useful (to me) TDPRI tip I've seen so far. Simple but effective. I'm going Velcro now! :)

15. dougmon

dougmon Tele-Meister

Ditto. Thanks, BaxterH (for the tip on the painters tape).

16. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

I wish that I had read this two hours ago, before I put Velcro on my most expensive pedals. :mad:

17. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

But if you use masking tape that will mean that you have a very weak connection between the Velcro and the pedal, which sort of defeats the object, doesn't it?

18. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Just use the Velcro and be done with it.
    It's just a pedal, not a baby. Trust me, I have both.

19. dougmon

dougmon Tele-Meister

What do you use to keep the baby in place?

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gaffer's tape.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.