Well I gave it a shot...

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I read that Unilever is closing some facilities and Marmite might become harder to come by. And, if Men at Work has taught me anything, its that Vegemite exists. That said, I acquired a shiny new bottle of Marmite.

I sliced a fresh sliced of sourdough bread and lightly toasted it. Then, I spread a nice layer of Marmite on it.

I know some things are acquired tastes and all but..... My God I've eaten salt that was less salty. I could also detect a flavor what reminds me of the smell of a bad anchovy in there somewhere.

I have a couple of questions:
1. How can yeast which smells so good in bread and beer making taste so foul?
2. How much of this does a fellow need to choke down before the taste becomes acquired?
3. Is there some way to make it palatable until that point?
It’s the classic live or hate product. As a hater whose tried several times to become a lover I would answer

1) One of life’s great mysteries.

2) An infinite amount is not enough.

3) No.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah. I like just about everything, but Vegamite? Not really my thing. A student worker brought me back some from her trip to Australia. Like I said, not really my thing. Does it go bad? 'Cause I think I've still got most of the jar around here somewhere.

Does it go bad? Probably, but no one’s ever noticed to know for sure.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
1643463050808.jpeg

These lorries pass my house on a regular basis. At first sight the signage read ‘Marmite’. trucks. Now I can’t see them as anything else.

radtz

Tele-Holic
So today, I added an egg to the toast. It was good. But that leads to my question:

-How do you get the Marmite from the jar to its intended target without leaving a string of salty tar all over the counter top/jar/plate?

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I read that Unilever is closing some facilities and Marmite might become harder to come by. And, if Men at Work has taught me anything, its that Vegemite exists. That said, I acquired a shiny new bottle of Marmite.

I sliced a fresh sliced of sourdough bread and lightly toasted it. Then, I spread a nice layer of Marmite on it.

I know some things are acquired tastes and all but..... My God I've eaten salt that was less salty. I could also detect a flavor what reminds me of the smell of a bad anchovy in there somewhere.

2. How much of this does a fellow need to choke down before the taste becomes acquired?
A recipe I was making called for Marmite. Our local Kroger had a small, maybe half pint jar, but it cost $6.99, since the recipe only needed 1/2 teaspoon, and I didn't know if I'd ever have use for the stuff again, the recipe was Marmite-less.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
So today, I added an egg to the toast. It was good. But that leads to my question:

-How do you get the Marmite from the jar to its intended target without leaving a string of salty tar all over the counter top/jar/plate?
It can't be done, the marmite seeks to escape from captivity and subsequent execution, by clinging to all things between jar and target!

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
For today's test I went with the following:
- slice of sourdough bread toasted
- master level butter slather
- total noob level super light amount of Marmite

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty good. This stuff needs to be treated like a super hot hot sauce or mustard, NOT like preserves or peanut butter. In light doses it is adds to the flavor of what the main flavor is. I am in no way ready for it to be the main flavor. I can now see how it can be an acquired taste. I think it also helps knowing what it tastes like from yesterday's overdose.

Like others have said it can be added in as an enhancer. Ima keep tryin to work with this stuff.....
Vegemite is better, In Australia you have to eat Vegemite...It's the LAW.

skunqesh

Tele-Holic

I skipped all the responses, cuz I'm from a Vegemite household.
Vegemite and Marmite should be used lightly, delicately - it's like salting your butter.

The first mistake newbies make is to spread that stuff like peanut butter - and that guarantees you'll have a bad time.

get some good bread for toasting (I like Dave's Killer Bread, sprouted whole wheat)
crisp or brown it lightly
spread generously with un salted butter, while hot - so the butter is everywhere.
with the tip of the knife - scoop about the same amount as one or two standard chocolate chips.
spread as thin as you can.

some folks use a little cream cheese, some like it without butter, and some folks will swear Marmite is nothing like Vegemite (there are differences).

Bon Appetit' !

ps - tons of B vitamins in yeast extract - iow - it's a terrific hangover helper ;)

radtz

Tele-Holic
I skipped all the responses, cuz I'm from a Vegemite household.
Vegemite and Marmite should be used lightly, delicately - it's like salting your butter.

The first mistake newbies make is to spread that stuff like peanut butter - and that guarantees you'll have a bad time.

get some good bread for toasting (I like Dave's Killer Bread, sprouted whole wheat)
crisp or brown it lightly
spread generously with un salted butter, while hot - so the butter is everywhere.
with the tip of the knife - scoop about the same amount as one or two standard chocolate chips.
spread as thin as you can.

some folks use a little cream cheese, some like it without butter, and some folks will swear Marmite is nothing like Vegemite (there are differences).

Bon Appetit' !

ps - tons of B vitamins in yeast extract - iow - it's a terrific hangover helper ;)
I'll catch you up. I made the noob mistake and spread it like peanut butter first. Tried it again with butter and a very light application and liked it. Proclaimed you use it like super hot hot sauce, not like peanut butter. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it without getting tar strings all over my kitchen.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve had vegemite.
My sisters next door neighbor is an Aussie and she introduced us to it.
I can eat it, but I don’t understand what it’s purpose is.
It is really salty.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I like Limburger, so Marmite and Vegemite are no big deal. My wife doesn't allow Limburger in yyhe house.

radtz

Tele-Holic
I like Limburger, so Marmite and Vegemite are no big deal. My wife doesn't allow Limburger in yyhe house.
I love all sorts of stinky cheeses, but I CANNOT do Limburger. That stuff literally makes me gag and I can't swallow it. I bend the knee to you sir.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ve had vegemite.
My sisters next door neighbor is an Aussie and she introduced us to it.
I can eat it, but I don’t understand what it’s purpose is.
It is really salty.

Here's the thing. You know how Australia has like 9 out of the 10 most deadly snakes and blue ringed octopus and irukandji jellyfish and massive spiders etc? Basically everything here wants to kill you. Do you know why we are not afraid of these things? We eat Vegemite.