Well I gave it a shot...

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
THANK YOU!

For giving me a reason to post this clip.

Go to around 7;10 into this clip to see why it qualifies for this thread.

417zmFMsZAL.jpg

Gohan Desuyo, is very closely related to Marmite and vegemite.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I love Marmite. Food of the gods. Made from 100% vegetarians. I can't eat boiled eggs on toast without it.

I've been known to panic-buy it when it stocks get low on the shelves here.

In NZ it's sold as 'Our Mate' because some reprobate pinched the trademark and applied it to some awful local muck which tastes like ****.

1643331624626.png

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My memories of 60's Marmite were that it seemed gritty and hard to spread...

Vegemite was more like good axle grease, nice and smooth... a small bit would spread a long way...

though the taste won out in the end after trying similar yeast spreads... we all preferred Vegemite... the others were cast aside...

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Good on hot buttered crumpets and pikelets, I slather a vast amount on! I also like marmite and lettuce sandwiches. :)
I have tried several variations. No big deal, to me they are similar but different. Variations on a soy sauce reduction/concentrate or something. Salty.
Definitely one of those things you dont want to over do, yes.

I grew up around vegetarians, long before it was a "cool" thing.
At an Ohio farm from the 1800's there was a spring, just about 15 feet outside the back kitchen door. Memories of the best water I have ever consumed. We would dip our heads in and drink right from the spring box which ran down into a pasture feeding two delightful ponds full of fresh fish (that we didnt eat! Too bad!)
Growing from that spring box was a constant supply of Watercress, which my grandmother and great aunt would occasionally harvest bit of...

They had a supply of something called vegex. Very similar soybean paste/extract to Marmite/Vegemite.
Now my memory is that individually, the Vegex, or Watercress tasted aweful.
But... Spread a thin coat of Vegex on some bread and lay on a moderately generous layer of that fresh watercress...
The combination just worked like genius.

I crave one now just thinking of it. 😎

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Most folks I've seen try it for the first time (on YouTube) make the rookie mistake of slavering a big dollop of the stuff all over their toast. Indeed that was how it was first presented to me as an infant on my bread 'soldiers' I didn't touch the stuff for nearly two decades after that!

It all changed for me after a student night out when the only food left in the house the morning after was toast and marmite. My pals had used the same knife for everything so the knife and butter had blobs of marmite all over but I was so hungover I needed to feed. Much to my surprise the traces of marmite tasted nothing like the tongue burning trauma of my childhood experience. Instead it totally hit the spot and I wolfed it down with no ill effects.

The lesson learned is that less is more. Apply it like Mr Miyagi says " Wipe on, Wipe off"

Vegemite is similar but different enough that I don't much like it, so passed it on to an appreciative Aussie friend who thinks Marmite tastes wrong.

Pride of place in my cupboard right now is a special edition "Dynamite" Chilli Marmite - Now that really is quite special! (Again, less is more! 😝)

DynaMite.jpeg

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There was a classic video on YouTube of some American teenagers trying Vegemite for the first time. I tried to find it but it seems pretty burried in the stack (or maybe deleted).

radtz

Tele-Holic
This is step 2. I'll update tomorrow.....
For today's test I went with the following:
- slice of sourdough bread toasted
- master level butter slather
- total noob level super light amount of Marmite

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty good. This stuff needs to be treated like a super hot hot sauce or mustard, NOT like preserves or peanut butter. In light doses it is adds to the flavor of what the main flavor is. I am in no way ready for it to be the main flavor. I can now see how it can be an acquired taste. I think it also helps knowing what it tastes like from yesterday's overdose.

Like others have said it can be added in as an enhancer. Ima keep tryin to work with this stuff.....

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Some of that stuff was straight up repulsive... peppermint, cotton candy....ugh
You should see the other episodes they made on foods and strange ways of cooking it. They had an episode in which they made Tempura and one of them decided to make it "American taste" by putting in Hamburgers, hot-dogs and coca cola.

I love Japanese humor, this show makes Jackass look tame.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
For today's test I went with the following:
- slice of sourdough bread toasted
- master level butter slather
- total noob level super light amount of Marmite

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty good. This stuff needs to be treated like a super hot hot sauce or mustard, NOT like preserves or peanut butter. In light doses it is adds to the flavor of what the main flavor is. I am in no way ready for it to be the main flavor. I can now see how it can be an acquired taste. I think it also helps knowing what it tastes like from yesterday's overdose.

Like others have said it can be added in as an enhancer. Ima keep tryin to work with this stuff.....
I approve of your perseverance, at this rate you will soon attain the level of master marmitery, where half a jar seems too small an amount for a single toasted item!