I built Bazooka, a bubble-gum pink Nashville Telecaster, last fall, and got stopped by the cold weather, and by shoulder surgery. All done except for painting the neck, I said heck with it, strung it up, and played it like crazy until last week. Playing the raw neck was fine, but it's so much nicer now, sorry I waited so long. This is my second Tele build, and first neck. First neck I've painted, too. Plenty of little mistakes, but I love the thick V profile (1.02"). I was messing around, to see how hard it would be to make a custom spaghetti decal from scratch, and wound up using it. Since it was just supposed to be a prototype, it doesn't have the little auxiliary text like the originals. I messed up right near the end, and got a couple of drips right on the face of the headstock. These hardened into a bunch of fossilized air bubbles, looked like. So, I also got to experience the joy of nitro repair. I touched up the spots with retarder, thinking maybe it'd flow out, but no. However, it got things loose enough where I was able to scrape the offending bubbles right off. Then a few passes with a drop fill toothpick, and a bit of wet sanding. The first two coats were highly thinned and tinted with a few (maybe 6) drops of ColorTone Vintage Amber, and 1-2 drops of Tobacco Brown. Then a couple of clear, still thin. Laid the decal down, and proceeded to bury it (and the rest of the neck) with full-strength lacquer. I switched from HVLP to aerosol at that point, for convenience. I didn't count the coats. Maybe a dozen. I was just having fun with it. The final coat was Behlens' Blush Eraser, and I got a good flow out with zero orange peel. I used Micro Mesh 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, and 3600. Then I hand buffed with 3M Rubbing Compound, Finesse-It II, and Hand Glaze, in that order. Shiny.