Well, I did it...

tomabrown

NEW MEMBER!
Over the last couple of years I've read a lot about partscasters vs Fender vs "boutique" builders, etc., as it pertains to quality, lack of resale value, whatever. I finally decided to risk a bunch of money on my building skills and put one together. I figured I had a bit of woodworking experience, and general mechanical/electrical aptitude, so dove in. Splurged on some items and went with "good but not the most expensive" on the rest. Ended up with something that wasn't cheap, but was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

My only slight criticism is I wish the neck were a few hundredths of an inch thicker. At any rate, this thing is most definitely my #1 guitar. That Fralin Unbucker will crank out the mellow tones, and the bridge Split Rail can "out-Fender" my Fender. :)

• Warmoth unfinished Roasted Swamp Ash body. I applied a Wudtone Cherry Flamenco finish, then topped with TruOil.
  • Warmoth Roasted Maple neck with Rosewood FB, mother-of-pearl markers and SS frets; no lacquer, etc. finish applied (except for headstock)--just burnished the back to a silky smooth feel.
  • Lindy Fralin pickups. Unbucker neck and Split Rail Blues output at the bridge
  • Gotoh In-Tune bridge w/ compensated brass saddles
  • Hipshot locking open-gear tuners
  • Then some fairly standard parts...Fender knobs and control plate, CTS pots, an Oak Grigsby 5-way switch to choose coil-split, etc.
full

full

full

(Now I'll want to do it again...)

Gorgeous! And plays great, nice work!
I love my partscaster! I did a relic, sort of a '59 tribute with all high end parts
partscaster.1.jpg
Partscaster.2.jpg
. Not the show piece you built, but after more than a few Teles over the years, all american standards, my partscaster is by far the best.
Thanks for sharing!

TeleDoug

TDPRI Member
Over the last couple of years I've read a lot about partscasters vs Fender vs "boutique" builders, etc., as it pertains to quality, lack of resale value, whatever. I finally decided to risk a bunch of money on my building skills and put one together. I figured I had a bit of woodworking experience, and general mechanical/electrical aptitude, so dove in. Splurged on some items and went with "good but not the most expensive" on the rest. Ended up with something that wasn't cheap, but was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

My only slight criticism is I wish the neck were a few hundredths of an inch thicker. At any rate, this thing is most definitely my #1 guitar. That Fralin Unbucker will crank out the mellow tones, and the bridge Split Rail can "out-Fender" my Fender. :)

• Warmoth unfinished Roasted Swamp Ash body. I applied a Wudtone Cherry Flamenco finish, then topped with TruOil.
  • Warmoth Roasted Maple neck with Rosewood FB, mother-of-pearl markers and SS frets; no lacquer, etc. finish applied (except for headstock)--just burnished the back to a silky smooth feel.
  • Then some fairly standard parts...Fender knobs and control plate, CTS pots, an Oak Grigsby 5-way switch to choose coil-split, etc.
full

full

full

shallbe

Tele-Meister
This is one I did during COVID. Musikraft fat flamed neck, SS frets, Guitar Mill light ash body with Fralin (noiseless) Alnico Rod P90 and Sunbucker in the bridge. Forney aluminum bridge, string thru or top load.

Here is the most recent one. Warmoth ash body and used FAT Kirn neck with SS frets. I call this one Jessie because it gets those Jessie Ed Davis sounds---sweet and chimey.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister

full

full

full

JBurton

Tele-Meister

full

full

full

Yeah, I went the Parts route with Warmoth wood and decent hardware, and I am happy as hell with the results.
Yours is beautiful.

1Mudman

TDPRI Member
Oh Wow! totally awesome! Ive been buying "rescue" guitars from Goodwill and redoing them, most just need some rubbing alcohol and elbow grease. I rewired, refinish and set it up. Then give it away to someone thats wanting to learn. But you just built a nice heirloom guitar one of your family members will cherish when your gone. I bet it sounds just as good at looks!

alexwilds

Tele-Meister
I think the best thing about building your guitar is just that - it is YOUR guitar, giving you pleasure in the music and pride in workmanship. I'll take that over the "Fender" decal anytime.

trackerdan

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Like everyone else is saying it looks outstanding indeed. The finish on the body is fabulous in the pictures. How about a follow up review on how it turned out playing and sound wise for you? Can you give us a ballpark figure on the cost? If I thought I could attain a finish like that myself I'd probably try one myself.
I just received this today. It's pretty awesome in a different way.
2016 Fender Elite Stratocaster Pearl Surf Green.jpeg

Last edited:

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
spectacular!!!!!!!!!!...............nice finish..I like how you did the pick guard...did you modify a standard pick guard?