Well, do you feel lucky?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Jun 17, 2021.

Do you feel lucky?

1. I am very lucky

36 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. I am somewhat lucky

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Average in luck and in life

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. I am not lucky

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. I have had terrible luck in my life

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2021-6-17_10-17-1.png

I have been saying to myself for awhile now that I am truly one of the luckiest people to have ever lived on this planet.

I have never gone hungry.
    I have never been badly injured.
    I have always had comfortable beds to sleep in, and only one night in jail, and never overnight in a hospital.
    I have two wonderful sons who are both doing great.
    I have travelled all over this country and in several other parts of the world.
    I have climbed many mountains and hiked many trails, and I can still do it at 57.

So much more. Why did I get so lucky, when so many others I know have truly had unfortunate circumstances fall their way through no fault of their own. I think luck has to balance out in the end, but not for individual lifetimes.

So, how has your life been? Full of luck and good fortune, about average, or unfortunate tragedies around every corner?

Be safe ya'll...

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I've had good times and bad times. And I've had bad times that forced me to leave bad situations which resulted in future good times that I'd not have had otherwise. I don't call it luck though. I call it blessings. There has been a hand in my life that knows better than I do what's best for me, and it has at times gently nudged me in the right direction and at other times shoved me off of cliffs in the right direction.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I feel I've had a VERY blessed life....."lucky" if you will, but I've never been arrested, have had a few relatively minor hospital stays, my adult daughter is an emotional mess, (she blames her mother) I HAVE been hungry, (for an hour or so) ......but I know I'm so much better off than many. I grew up in the 1950's and 60's......and life really was like Leave It To Beaver. My parents were firm at times, but always loving, and we had music, swimming, theater, etc type lessons all our lives. I honestly can't envision how life could have been any better.
    And, while I've been lucky occasionally in the romance department, I've NOT been lucky long term......although some people might say that IS the lucky part. Anyway, I'm very grateful for what I've been given in life, and I wish everyone could have had the same. ;)

4. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Even though I've had what most think of as bad luck repeating I consider being here good luck. Right now we have some extended family members with challenges but the way my 3 kids have been helping just keeps repeating the thoughts about how lucky I am. Just the work of keeping a in tact family is more luck.

Attitude makes the difference.

Maybe my best lesson came shortly after my dad died and we were in trouble financially to from that. Through the tears my mom said put on a smile and get to work because the world won't stop or care.

When my mother in law says "live" and even in her being terminally ill, it comes from her witnessing her town priest in cahoots with the Nazis taking her friends away.

When my wife had cancer hell and a medicine pump on her she took off on her bicycle repeating "I will not quit".

I'm not really the optimist I come off as but just try to remember the spirit behind my mother saying smile and my mother in law saying live. It makes you lucky all the time.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Somewhat lucky. I have struggles, but realize I have a pretty privileged and good life.

Currently in good physical health overall, mental health good more than bad.

No major injuries.

Overall good marriage, also with some struggles. Overall good relationship with my kid, not without struggles. Par for the course, maybe.

Have a good job I like at a company I like working for, a good team of coworkers.

Have enough money to have a pretty good life if not super fancy. Never want for food, shelter, the necessities.

I really can’t complain.

TelEBaby123, nojazzhere and Big_Bend like this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Last night while one friend was complaining common gripes in a group text, one of those guys and I were watching his 3 year old girl playing with my 20 year old girl. We're all in similar demographics. Funny how two of us thought we were as rich as you can get.

Blackmore Fan, nojazzhere and drlucky like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had good times and bad times.

I watched my wife waste away and nearly die over a period of nine years, due to medical incompetence…and then I saw her rebound, recuperate and survive due to a proper diagnosis and alternative medicine.

I’ve got a good, smart, beautiful daughter who seems to like both of us (her parents)…she has positive, admirable life goals and no bad habits other than leaving half-empty glasses of water/tea/coffee/juice and her shoes all over the house.

We have an adopted “spiritual” daughter whose two daughters think we’re their grandparents (and I ain’t telling them otherwise).

I have two truly loyal, honest friends who I can trust implicitly in every way—and one of them is my drummer and best friend.

I’ve got two awesome rescue “fur sons” who think I’m awesome (ok, they’re not that bright and the big one sheds like crazy, but they make me feel good).

My home is paid off.

I have more guitars than I deserve.

I’ve got a bunch of cool boots and jackets.

I like my current job.

I attribute none of that to luck.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

It's amazing how differently one's life would be based merely on where they were born.

9. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Or when.

10. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I have had and continue to have a great life. I wouldn't put most of that down to luck though.

Looking after myself, having morals, being kind to others, working hard, being sensible, keeping good company and of course playing a Telecaster have had more of an effect on my life than luck has in my opinion.

There have been difficult and dark times, but because of the above, they are thankfully outweighed by the good.

Tele-beeb and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Without boring anyone with my personal details,yes I feel fortunate.

Tele-beeb, Tommy Biggs and nojazzhere like this.
  12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It's been a mixed bag. I recently got a CT scan and they found a tumor on my kidney. Needle biopsy results were that it's benign. Should I have it out, or don't fix what ain't broken. Life is a mixed bag.

13. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I consider myself very lucky, but not in games or gamble, but in the things that really matters.

But i do play "Born Under a Bad Sign" now and then...

elihu and Big_Bend like this.
  14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

As I start decade number 7 in this life cycle, I can honestly say that any bad times I've experienced have been mostly self-inflicted. So yeah, I'm a very lucky guy, and grateful for it.

15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Maybe not great luck.
    But great blessings!

One of those blessings has been the ability and fortitude to recover/move on from bad luck (and poor choices)

Be honest, kind and search inside yourself. Develop empathy and patience. Work hard and always seek learning opportunities.

I see too many people dwelling on crap they need to let go. That knee they skinned fifty years ago will never heal if they keep picking at the scab.

No, I wouldnt say "luck"

TelEBaby123 and _MementoMori_ like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I consider the lives many people around the globe have been born into, yes, I'd have to consider myself very lucky.

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve done OK. I’m retired and living comfortably. I have everything I need and most anything I could reasonably want. That’s more the result of good planning than luck. But on the other side of the coin, I’ve never suffered dire consequences for stupid things I’ve done. Is that luck or the advantage of privilege? It’s hard to say. There’s always been a reason behind it when I’ve been lucky.

nojazzhere and drlucky like this.
  18. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

Any time I question whether or not my luck is good, I try to remind myself how badly things could have gone in my life. The fact that I’m still breathing is proof that my luck is very good.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I feel very fortunate and think that gratitude is good for the soul. I had a lot longer post to write, but will follow Skub's suit and offer not to bore anyone with personal details. I'm just grateful for what I have and have had.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I consider myself to have led a good life. I'm not rich but have enough to be able to do the things I want to do, go the places I want to go, buy the stuff I want to buy. My family is healthy and I see and talk to them often. I have survived my own stupid mistakes and adventures and lived to tell the stories. So yes I feel lucky.

Chester P Squier and Big_Bend like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.