Well, Alcohol Free January...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Solidarity is awesome, my father decided to stop drinking when I did
    I stopped in October of 2014 after a couple alcoholic years and my father who was never a problem drinker decided to stop also

I don’t miss anything about it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I forgot about this, but I had an alcohol-free January that extended into February.

I'm drinking half as much as I used to, these days. We're having a friend who doesn't drink over for dinner this evening, and we won't be serving alcohol. A year ago this would have led me to sneak a drink, or three, but let's see what happens. I think I'm good.

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

anger will do it. won't it. I can not afford my resentments they'll always get me drunk and drugged.
    drinking/drugs is a curious thing, kinna sneaky,
    Ry Cooder puts it so well, let have a couple, Ry is like a soothing salve.Let have a couple or there.

Deepblankspace and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you guys might be skipping a step/missing the obvious .

If you drink enough to regularly/actually have hangovers ?

The 8-14 drinks are your problem - not the pain the next day.

(don’t tell your sponsor - if you have one -that you quit cuz you didn’t like the hangovers. They’ll call you a “dry drunk” and question your whole sobriety).

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Congratulations and my admiration for you guys who have stopped or moderated!

I'm lucky (blessed if you will) to have lived long enough to be able to fully experience living two different ways. I drank (too much) for 27 years. Moderation was never part of my vocabulary. I had fun, until I didn't. If I make it to the 21'st of this month, I'll celebrate 28 years without a drink or drug. I'm wired such that there's no middle ground for me. I don't know why that is, but I accept it today.

I'll just say that there is NO comparison between the two ways for me. The first was a steady downhill spiral, the second has led to a better life than I ever could have imagined. I'm approaching it one day at a time. I can always go back to the old way any time I want. But it ain't happenin' today.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's really respectful of you neighbor, to consider your house guests intentions.
    I don't tip anymore, not that tipping back a little tip didn't take edge of being social.

7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

DO IT!

Its the first day of the month!

Perfect timing!

Alcohol free August!

8. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

It wasn’t doing me any favors aside from the hangovers. I’m good not drinking. If one enjoys it and can handle it, I’ll be the first to buy you one.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

I did an alcohol-free January last year. Didn't really intend for it to be permanent, but it's been 19 months, so it's starting to look that way.

With all the stuff going on these days, I'm pretty happy with my timing.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One of those guys from the AA who smoked constantly, and drank about thirty gallons of coffee a day, just to keep up with his associates, called me a dry drunk after I had been quite for ten solid years. I'm still a dry drunk almost thirteen years after he called me a dry drunk. This December will make twenty three years, and I ain't gonna lie, I don't miss drinking all that much, but it sure was nice getting drunk and whooping, and hollering. More than anything I just got too old to do that anymore. (you really have to be in shape for that kind of life if you're gonna be any good at it) There is a season for everything, but I am kind of glad I don't have to ride in those Crown Vicks anymore, they were kind of a drag. I'll bet whatever replaced 'em ain't much fun either, especially on that elevator ride when you get where you goin'.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think this current situation is kind of getting to me today, I'm usually a lot more positive about quitting drinking. I am grateful that I did indeed quit drinking, but only about ten percent as much as my wife is. I never missed any work, never got in any trouble that I couldn't eventually (heavy on eventually) work my way out of, but overall, life is really much easier without booze. I eventually got to be a wiser drinker, being able to stay out of trouble, and managing it, but it's still hard on the bod. Again, I am thankful that I did quit, and really would just as soon have done it earlier in life, it would have made life much simpler, a lot simpler.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They may Label you and put the Name Dry Drunk on you but, if you are Sober, big deal.
    WHY does one not being Hungover?
    It was the 8-14 drinks you had the night before.
    That Direct Line has already been made.

If the Sponsor has any decency, they will work with a person and build from there.

13. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

70 Consecutive days for me. What a difference it has made in my life. I've re-found my will to "dig in" and push the limits once again. I feel less irritable and more in control, like I have my mind back. Good for you OP and anyone else who has broken free. At the beginning of covid, I was going at it quite hard, but it was to become a blessing in disguise. I felt so down, so negative and was putting on the pounds. I finally had enough and turned the corner. I'll drink again one day. But that "one day" isn't going to happen soon. There's too much at stake and so many other positives.

PS: There's a brand of de-alcoholized beer sold by President's Choice (for those of you in Canada) called Red Lager. My smart neighbour who researches everything, turned me on to it. Now I don't have to miss out in situations where everyone else is tying one on.

14. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

12 years. Got to where I hardly drank, but when I did I wasn't remembering what I did. So, one day i realized it had been about 6 months. Decided to see how long I could go. Don't even want it now.

15. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Meister

11/05/90

Found some folks who had what I wanted.

Did as I was told.

It ain't about stopping. It's about staying stopped.

16. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

im happy to see so many friends of bill here

17. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

Congrats; keep up the good work.

For me; everything in moderation, including alcohol :D

Chicago Matt and tubegeek like this.
  18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

So...

For those of us going to zoom meetings as the new normal...

And in no way disrespecting anybody's path that's different from mine...

Whaddaya think?

I've gotta say I've been thriving. I blew through 90/90 a couple months ago without even setting that as an intention, it must be more like 150 in 150 by now. Been doing more service, staying more connected, and keeping my cool under some significant stresses. Not picking up, either.

I've seen some newcomers doing great, too, really bearing up well under this tough set of condiitions.

Not how I expected this to go. Which shows you how much *I* know. I miss making big batches of coffee and moving chairs around though.

How's it going for you?

19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No longer interested

JL_LI, CajunJ and Deepblankspace like this.
  20. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

To me, the sure knowledge that I could take this challenging time and make it all so much worse is helping me to stay the course. I find staying positive to be a tall order sometimes too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.