Well, $#!&…

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
6 week update:

Pins came out a couple of weeks ago, splint is becoming more and more optional. Therapy exercises are being done, but I don’t enjoy them. Progress is steady, in tiny increments. I started noodling on the electric last week, and tonight I attempted strumming the acoustic (just after my injury, an old friend passed away, and I have been needing to play a tune for him). I can’t hold a pick well or for long (no grip strength), but much to my surprise, my finger-picking is only slightly affected. Tomorrow, I will try riding my motorcycle. If that goes well, I’ll ride it home from work, where it’s been stuck in the back of the shop since That Day.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
6 week update:

Pins came out a couple of weeks ago, splint is becoming more and more optional. Therapy exercises are being done, but I don’t enjoy them. Progress is steady, in tiny increments. I started noodling on the electric last week, and tonight I attempted strumming the acoustic (just after my injury, an old friend passed away, and I have been needing to play a tune for him). I can’t hold a pick well or for long (no grip strength), but much to my surprise, my finger-picking is only slightly affected. Tomorrow, I will try riding my motorcycle. If that goes well, I’ll ride it home from work, where it’s been stuck in the back of the shop since That Day.
Glad to see you're heading back to recovery. It just takes time, you can't rush it, or you'll just start going backwards. I am very glad for the improvements you've made.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Sorry to hear Dan. Best wishes for getting healed up real soon.

SpringTank

TDPRI Member
There's a number of posts with swearing in this thread, including the title itself. Are we allowed to swear if we become financial supporters of the site?

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The surgeon was not optimistic about 100% recovery, and said hand therapy would be required. He was actually kind of a *ahem* but word on the street is he’s very good at what he does. No need for me to like him. I will say that every other person I dealt with in my local ER and the hospital’s Day Surgery ranged from pleasant to awesome.
No better therapy than playing guitar.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No better therapy than playing guitar.
Physically, yes, but riding the motorcycle was amazing mental therapy. :) The big difference is that I will be playing guitar daily if possible, and for extended periods if possible. The riding will be done as the guitar therapy makes it easier.
There's a number of posts with swearing in this thread, including the title itself. Are we allowed to swear if we become financial supporters of the site?
I used symbols to euphemize the word “heck”. What did you think I meant?

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to hear. Mike Stern basically glues the pick to his fingers since his fall. You got this! good luck.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
As mentioned in the Canada Day 2022 thread, I fall down go boom and injured my right (dominant) hand. Turns out I did a number on it. 4th metacarpal broken, and 5th metacarpal kinda smashed. So much for summer 2022. Got home from surgery a couple of hours ago. Worst thing is, it was just my bad judgement. No one else to get angry at.
Oh no. How much time to heal before you can play again?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Sorry to hear. Mike Stern basically glues the pick to his fingers since his fall. You got this! good luck.
After a motor vehicle accident didn’t Les Paul get his arm set so that he could continue playing?

Get well soon Dan!

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have a stash of double-sided tape. I’m going to give that a try this week.
Oh no. How much time to heal before you can play again?
I can play badly right now for short periods. I hope that when I am fully healed, I will be able to play badly for long periods, just like before!