Well, $#!&…

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The surgeon was not optimistic about 100% recovery, and said hand therapy would be required. He was actually kind of a *ahem* but word on the street is he’s very good at what he does. No need for me to like him. I will say that every other person I dealt with in my local ER and the hospital’s Day Surgery ranged from pleasant to awesome.

Sorry to hear the prognosis is not for full recovery. 98% would be okay. 👍

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here's hoping for a good recovery. One question...why did you have to wait two years for this surgery? All your broken bones "mortared" a long time ago. Surgery should have been within a day or too. I rolled my left ankle a few years back and waited too long to see a doctor. Turned out I fractured my fibula. The two parts fused together and were offset. Too late to reset or surgery. Some days are worse than others.
Hahaha! For obvious reasons, my brain is not firing on all cylinders (and typing skills are impaired). 2022. I broke the hand at 8:30 AM yesterday. Surgery was before 10:30 AM today. Not bad for a holiday weekend in a smallish (100K) city.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Sorry to hear about that injury. Real life is hard. There but for the grace of God go any of us.

I have my own hand injury story involving putting my left through a car windshield. Age 15 at the time. I will spare you the details, except there was discussion of taking it off which was not shared with me until much later.

I came all the way back. Playing was apparently good therapy. So Dan, don’t let anybody tell you you aren’t going to come back 100%. Nobody knows until the time comes. It took me a year to get full motion back to my wrist and fingers. Just keep after it my friend, we are all behind you.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Long ago, an accident-prone friend was getting a cast on his wrist. When the doctor left the room, he reached under the table to grab the metal leg and form the cast in a grip shape because “I have an enduro this weekend.” :oops:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It must really be bad for the doc to tell you he wasn't optimistic of a 100% recovery. I had the first segment of my index finger broken off in a vault-like door...took it clean off. They re-attached it, placed in a cast for 4 weeks, and then I spent a month using my hand to sift through a bucket of playground sand to gain strength.

With the exception of a little numbness at the very tip, it was a 100% recovery. If they can get 100% replacing a finger, they sure as hell better be able to do it to a busted up one.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Ugh. I dont know your age but it can happen fast when you are old. I have to remind myself constantly "SLOW DOWN". It's a lot easier than healing a broken bone.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Long ago, an accident-prone friend was getting a cast on his wrist. When the doctor left the room, he reached under the table to grab the metal leg and form the cast in a grip shape because “I have an enduro this weekend.” :oops:

As much as my mind tries, that is too close to home to be funny.
I did a very similar stunt, though I intended to water ski. in a cast. Formed into a grip the cast wasn't originally intended to have. Covered in a plastic bag.

Bad plan.

Another...
Last week an employee fell going to her car to drive to work.
Ankle broken, 3 bones. Surgically repaired and shuffling around on one of those leg scooters.
She told me of the $22K bill presentation...

Mind you, roughly minimum wage job, 1 YEAR SHORT OF QUALIFYING FOR MEDICARE and desperate for what to do...

Yeah man, heal well.
It's not right out here though. Just sayin'

I asked her if was not possible to limp in close enough to say if it happened at work..
You know...
She just shook her head and said "no, they had to come pick me up off the ground"

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Sounds mighty painful! Hopefully you'll be back to playing soon.
When I lost my right index finger I was pretty bummed, but was playing again in a few months.

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
The surgeon was not optimistic about 100% recovery, and said hand therapy would be required. He was actually kind of a *ahem* but word on the street is he’s very good at what he does. No need for me to like him. I will say that every other person I dealt with in my local ER and the hospital’s Day Surgery ranged from pleasant to awesome.

My hand surgeon told me he acts gruff because people don't always do therapy afterwards so he starts off like that until he knows patients are serious.

Tendons severed in 2 fingers, nicked a 3rd. I'm probably at 99% though it took a long time to get here and now thinking about it and sitting here moving my fingers. I'm probably overestimating it some. Probably more like 90% realistically.

Do any therapy he recommends and you'll probably do better than predicted. Just do what he says!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
As mentioned in the Canada Day 2022 thread, I fall down go boom and injured my right (dominant) hand. Turns out I did a number on it. 4th metacarpal broken, and 5th metacarpal kinda smashed. So much for summer 2022. Got home from surgery a couple of hours ago. Worst thing is, it was just my bad judgement. No one else to get angry at.
On the bright side you have your avatar here to show what your hand used to be able to do… ;)

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yesterday, the ER doctor who was going to temporarily pull my finger back into place came into the room to find Mrs. G and me laughing uproariously. I was on a cardiac monitor, and I had said to Mrs. G “Jeez, I wish that damned beeping would stop!”

Each, every, single, individual clinician wishes that damned beeping would stop. The downside is... a lack of beeping usually means you're dead. I used to work for Philips Healthcare as a project manager deploying those patient biometric monitor beeping because you're still alive devices.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Each, every, single, individual clinician wishes that damned beeping would stop. The downside is... a lack of beeping usually means you're dead. I used to work for Philips Healthcare as a project manager deploying those patient biometric monitor beeping because you're still alive devices.

It could be worse. It could be a "bing."