Well, “super groups” traditionally do underwhelm/disappoint...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

I have literally never heard the Winery Dogs put out anything that wasn't fantastic

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely. Clapton had been in Yardbirds and Mayall's band, Bruce and Baker had been in the Graham Bond Organization, Bruce had been in Manfred Mann...

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'll listen to anything with Jeff Beck.....but if it has Tim Bogert.....I'm on it like flies on chocolate cake!!!!!
    Here's Tim with Leslie West.....a pretty "super" group.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Mike, this is top writing in Nashville pop country terms. I might have expected a little more from Amanda Shires (Mrs. Jason Isbell), but I have a feeling that this is the joke song on the album. It's Short People. Maybe there's a Jolly Coppers on Parade in there on the back side.

Oh wow, they did the trailer music for The Kitchen. Good rollout, ladies. You're gonna make money on this project.

https://tasteofcountry.com/the-highwomen-the-chain-the-kitchen/

5. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

This

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

They missed an opportunity by not including Miranda Lambert and Kacey Musgraves... :rolleyes:

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Only one of the four were actually playing the right chords, or pretending to at least.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I want to hear more before I make a decision on Highwomen. Isn't there another female "supergroup" out there/ Pistol Annies?

9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Asia was a successful supergroup during its time.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Them Willbury boys were pretty good.

Mjark, DonM, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Au contraire.... Page intending it to be one with him & Beck on guitars along with Keith and John from the Who...

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Chris looks.... different..... I like Chris Stapleton a lot but some of his collaborations lead to unexpected results on the Chris Stapleton station on Amazon.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As do I. There has to be better material on the record with all that talent.

Pistol Annie’s are very good.

Just for the record regarding BBA , maybe there really are two kinds of people in this world : people that love Tim Bogert , and people that want nothing to do with anything he’s involved with musically.

File me in the latter .

BBA is not a shining moment in Beck’s career . As cartoon-y and ridiculously overdone as Vanilla Fudge was...

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure I would include Temple of the Dog in the category, since it actually came out before PJ released "Ten" and before Soundgarden released "Badmotorfinger". "Supergroup" implies that the members' super-ness has already been established.

Scott

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  15. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

Flying Colors. GTR.

terrible

SuprHtr likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you have George Harrison, Bob Dylan , and Roy Orbison in the same group ?

You need a new term.

“Supergroup” falls short.

Then you throw in Tom Petty and curly shades from ELO and it’s back to the drawing board.

Jerry J likes this.
  17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Tenuous supergroup perhaps, yes. But don't forget Mother Love Bone as basis of Pearl Jam. And even though not commercial successes, Soundgarden was well established as a formative player in the Seattle scene with Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love.

bender66 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow, I don't recognize any of these women. The song? It struck me as a tiresome re-make of Workin' 9 to 5, except more boring. Gee, girls can be fireman-freight handlers? Who knew! I feel so enlightened.

Durtdog likes this.
  19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I'm not taking up the overarching question about super groups, but looking at the video. Have you heard of the game called "Two Truths and a Lie?" It's a party mixer game when you literally tell the group two truths and a lie and they try to figure out which is true and which isn't. One of my favorite things to state is, "I kissed a fireman passionately on the lips." That raises eyebrows.

I met a beautiful young lady in the fire department when I was an engine company commander and she joined my squad. I actually saved her life once when we were fighting a particular fire during the year we worked together. But let me tell you that even though she was as pretty as the young ladies in the video, she was the real thing and did the job before the whole women's lib thang came to the area where we worked. At that time, everyone who put on the uniform was a fireman, her included. She redesigned women by being completely professional on the job and all-woman off the job. No booty shaking when she was on the job. That was part of what drew me to her. Two years later I married her.

So you can see, the line, "I kissed a fireman passionately on the lips," is one of my truths.

Bob

20. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

My feelings are that it's 50/50 whether a supergroup is any good, and it comes down to the material. Stanley Clark, Stewart Copeland, and some woman I don't remember were a disappointment for me, as was GTR. On the other hand, the first iteration of UK (Wetton, Jobson, Holdsworth and Bruford) is still one of my all-time favorites. Wetton in particular was inconsistent in the quality of his music, but he made a good living, mostly from the stuff with which I was less impressed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.