Welcome! To the Tonemaster Vomitorium!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by harpdog, Jul 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Shhh. We're tying to lure them away from the threads that could have some useful content.

2. MerleSwaggard

MerleSwaggard TDPRI Member

don’t get me started on Toasters. Modern toasters suck and this one is one of the greatest culinary inventions ever:

edvard, beyer160 and Whatizitman like this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Never mind…deleted.

Whatizitman likes this.
  4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I guess my feeling is that I have no problem with people not wanting to buy or like the Tone Master amps, I do have a problem with them making up BS excuses to not like them. They need to just man up and stick with the truth.

davidchagrin and Whatizitman like this.
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

The best are the haters who haven't even played one, lol.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    davidchagrin and teletail like this.
  6. Psinatra

Psinatra Tele-Meister

Not to be "that guy" but has anyone piped in regarding the misuse of the term "vomitorium"?

unixfish and Danb541 like this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

We’ve discussed this a lot, and I agree. I do think if the software is not corruptible (or could be reimaged) these TMs will last a long time. However, the future generations playing guitar will have so many amplification choices, would they choose a TM?

8. Wipey

Wipey TDPRI Member

I was offered a trade. A Dumble and original Klon for my Deluxe Tonemaster. Unfortunately, the Dumble lacked the feel under the fingers I get from my Tonemaster, so I had to turn it down.

drlucky and unixfish like this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I don't believe they will, as I have said before, they are throw away amps. It might be 10 years from now, but they will be old tech and when they break, they're done for good. It's like taking a squier guitar and putting a Fender USA waterslide on the head stock. Too bad Fender didn't just make a new line instead of making them look like the real thing. But had they done that, sales would likely not be what they are.
    I am not saying I don't want one for the right price or that I think they are not great sounding amps. We can argue longevity all day long but that fact is only time will tell.

10. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Interesting outlook. By that logic, at age 51, I should probably buy a crappier house, the one I have is going to outlast me! My car too!

unixfish, Blackmore Fan and Mike M like this.
  11. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

12. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Xanax for the OP.

Danb541 likes this.
  13. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Mom used to say "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".

So on with my comment ... ...

---- - ----

Danb541 likes this.
  14. digitalMagnetics

digitalMagnetics TDPRI Member

I just got one. I'm selling my tube DRRI and fancypants attenuator. The TM sounds like the real thing, weighs less, and has a built-in attenuator + great-sounding line out.

My only concern is the one you mention here: longevity. If it craps out after fewer than 5 years, I'll keep the (very nice!) solid pine cabinet, cut my losses, and put in a "real" Deluxe Reverb chassis and tube circuitry. But who knows? Maybe it'll last forever.

FWIW, I also own a Boss Katana that does a thousand things, but I prefer the simple TM DR and play it 95% of the time. The Katana lives in the studio and gets used when I need a contrasting sound for recording. I don't like using it all the time. Just too much going on.

davidchagrin and Danb541 like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I guess the nice cabinet helps partially explain the relatively high price vs other modeling amps and some tube amps (Supro, Vox, etc).

I've gotten more concerned about durability because of my recent experience with a Headrush 108 FRFR that quit working after about 6 months. I got it to replace my Peavey Bandit that I've had since 1987, mainly due to the lighter weight and perhaps better performance with modeling pre-amps as well as synths. I was quite disappointed that the Headrush failed so quickly. I'd hope the much more expensive Tonemaster would be more reliable considering the price and Fender's reputation

Danb541 likes this.
  16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I believe that in 50 years there will still be many people who could fix a computer, but it will be nearly impossible to find someone who could fix a tube amp.

drlucky likes this.
  17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Very valid point. I think the difference is that we EXPECT tech like computers and phones to be disposable and obsolete to the point of needing replacing in 5 years, so we think nothing of it. But we (WE being the over-25 crowd here on the TDPRI) have this inherent view that the best guitars and amps are at least 50 years old, so anything that has a life span of less than half a century must automatically be of lower quality.

I personally think most people under 30 really don't care as much as we older players do about the longevity of their gear, since they're more accustomed to the 5-10 year lifespan of most consumer electronics. It's just part of the process- buy, use, upgrade, repeat.... I'd be curious to know who Fender's target audience is for the TM amps- probably the younger crowd, and not necessarily the TDPRI crew.

18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Considering the weight of these amps its hard not to think they had some of us old guys in mind as a target customer. Although I love my vintage Fender tube amp I can't help but think that a 20 pound TMDR with my 5 pound Brad Paisley tele would be a dream rig for hauling in and out of clubs.

timbgtr and Danb541 like this.
  19. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

In 50 years people will probably be merging their brains with AI. I have no doubt someone will be able to fix a tube amp. Probably just download the info in to your own brain and fix it yourself. Or, have your robot do it.

stevemc likes this.
  20. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

True; they don't have to be confused with a lot of facts.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.