Welcome to the Fabulous 50's musical extravaganza

donrichfan

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Originally I was thinking about a doowop thread but then I remembered that "1959. The year that changed jazz" is a wicked good documentary and there is some great music that was done in the 50s that isnt early RnR. So, post anything that was made during the 50s.

Even though I grew up in the 70s, my Dad listened to Oldies every Saturday. He listened to the Bob Lavorio show Sat morning then played tapes he made. Mostly, this is what we listened to all day and I grew to love most of it. So here are 2:

Little Richard has such energy!! And he lays it on the line about Miss Molly. She loves getting laid. So here he is:

My favorite Buddy Holly tune. Great beat, this is a driving song. Try not yo tap your foot!

Aside from Rave On, these are my favorite Buddy tunes:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Can't have too much Coasters- even if it was 1960

unmatched for cool until Lee Dorsey came along, but he was more 60's

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Those remind me so much of my Great Grandma. She used to keep a loaded .22 revolver and a box of shells on top of the tv. She was a hick through and through and so am I. Thanks for these. Some great guitar in the Earnest Tubbs tune.
You're welcome and same here. One grandmother gave me a lot of my early music memories, Bob Wills/Light Crust Dougbhoys mostly. An aunt on the other side was a competitive push dancer in north Texas and we used to go see her win a lot, so I heard a lot of the honky tonk/shuffle stuff too.

For me, doesn't get a lot better than this stuff, both late '50s I believe.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
The Everlys took American radio by storm in the late 60's- this is a somewhat less known song I've always liked, together with the original from the Clovers;

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
This song was off my radar until years later somebody drove by me on a bicycle singing it at the top of her lungs- no idea who it was, but the girl could sing...;