Weirdest guitars used by well known and Pro level players.

Hank-Frost

TDPRI Member
Lou Reed played some weird guitars.

images
90011df2d02382fbc225e04bac2fad82.jpg

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Tosin Abasi has a pretty wild, custom signature guitar. But he needs it for the octave range that he covers and the double-tapping techniques he uses.

Similarly, Charlie Hunter has a custom Novax guitar that allows him to cover bass and regular guitar range with a single instrument, playing both bass and guitar parts at once.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Not sure if he’d be known stateside but John Otway’s Gordon Smith double neck has to be on the list. He says he can play equally badly with both hands so…
The guitar folds in the middle to fit in a normal case and for effect while playing…

A3FA6D3D-DCAD-45AA-A776-F067DEACFDAA.jpeg

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
It hardly was his main axe, but those Carvin Signature models he played all the time were perhaps even weirder.
I thought Carvin pickups got a bad rap, because most of the people I know who don't like Carvins, it's because of their pickups. To me, their humbuckers have excellent articulation, and as Allan said, are very focused. It's all water under the bridge now, because since Kiesel has owned Carvin, they've totally changed the pickup line, and I haven't heard any of the new ones. I suspect they haven't changed that much.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
John McLaughlin played some oddballs

His 'Shakti' guitar. Note the scalloped frets, and btw this is a recent copy made for McLaughlin by a different luthier.

mclaughlin 1.jpg

His Rex Bogue doubleneck. It supposedly weighed 35 pounds.

mclaughlin 2.jpg

A while back Tony Levin had a 3 string bass made and he played it constantly until it got burned up in a house fire.

levin 2.PNG

Spox

Tele-Meister
I saw the Eastwood tribute earlier in the thread, Pete Shelleys broken catalogue bought guitar on which the top half had snapped off.

pete-shelley-buzzcocks-onstage-2334625151.jpg

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not that the guitars are weird. But, isn't it weird that Jack Pearson's Fender choices are Squier Strat and Tele? Both stock.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
because since Kiesel has owned Carvin
There was no change in ownership, they just renamed the company after the founder, who had named the company after his sons, Carson and Gavin. The middle son Mark took over the guitar division in the 70's and still runs it today. The only real change was the split in 2015 with the amplifier division.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
1654721198679.png
Tony Levin could have had a great career just playing bass guitar (or even double bass,which is where he started) but is surely now associated most closely with the Chapman Stick -- and it is more closely associated with Levin than any other player.

1654721237242.png
And he's played with a couple of other guys with less well-known touch guitars: here is the current lineup of Stick Men, where he is joined by Markus Reuter, who designed and built his own touch guitar...
1654721495852.png

...and he also spent time playing alongside Trey Gunn in King Crimson, where Gunn almost exclusively played this Warr Guitar.