Weird Tweed Power Trans in Brown Fender Super

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ocduff, May 13, 2019.

1. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Thanks for vote on the PT originality. From what I can find on internet the 6516 was an early tweed Twin transformer - 5C8. Again, weird.

Looking at the way it's wired in, and the solder joints, it definitely gave me pause.

It's a 6G4-A circuit. 6 preamp tubes. 68k resistors tied to input jacks.

Re: voltages: I've got -57 at the bias supply cap. 455v on plates and 32ma bias. That's pretty darn close to spec and I'm certainly not alarmed by those numbers.

Will post more pics of transformer wiring at rectifier when I have it open to replace filter caps this weekend.

Thanks to all who've replied and for your enthusiasm and expertise. It's been fun sharing my new toy with you all.

magic smoke likes this.
  2. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Here's the spec sheet and pic of a Triad 6516 in a mid 50's Twin.

That's clearly not what is in this Super. Going on other pics I've found, it's more likely the PT that was found in the 5D6 and E6 Bassman.

However I have not found pics of a PT with 6516 stamped on it, or close up of the wiring in them to see if they are wired similarly on the filaments.

Kind of mysterious, huh? A 5E6 Bassman transformer in a later amp? Anyone here have a 5E6?

Attached Files:

3. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

I would just chalk it up to irregularities in production due to the time frame.

They say early Marshall amps could have transformers from three different manufacturers and still be factory stock original.

You are right the Triad in your amp would be right for a wide panel twin, 2X6L6 and no filament center tap, but your PT looks different than the earlier TRIAD PTs. The old TRIAD PTs have the end bells that wrap around the corner.

If your PT is stock original, then you cant ask for anything better. Can you?

4. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Apologies if I'm exhausting anyone - I found an ad from 2010 for a late '61 Super Serial#440X with a 6516 PT listed.

That's 400 serial numbers away from mine and still has same PT.

Attached Files:

Axis29 and Wally like this.
  5. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Another '61 with a 6516 PT.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/1961-super.87489/

I guess a google search could've answered my question. Apparently hundreds on these supers had 6516 PT's. Several production runs. Wouldn't be surprised if Pro's and Bandmasters of late '61 also had these.

You think Leo got a deal on some older transformers and ran with it?

Anyway - posting this all for posterity in case anyone ever runs into a head scratcher like this one when they buy a vintage amp.

Attached Files:

Wally likes this.
  6. markgr

markgr NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I sent you a PM.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.