Weird trades for a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LPBlue, Aug 15, 2020.

1. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

I walked this over from ST where it has been doing well. What say you here? I will open with...

In 04 I traded a $2 flea market 1950s Fisher stereo power amp that I had been sitting on since 84 for a brand new Taylor 307 Big Baby (last year MIA) that a friend bought himself for his 40th but learning to play "hurt his fingers". I still have and love the guitar...he now plays bass.

have at it kids.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I only have the first half of these stories, where I took junk and turned it over for a massive profit, never swapping it for a great guitar

3. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Not a weird trade, but I once drove 1 1/2 hours to trade a Schecter C1 plus guitar for a Blackheart Little giant 5 watt amp. The amp is great and okay, but what really sets it apart is the open back cab, is phenomenal. And I even like the speaker that came with it, an eminence American voiced.

I use a Peavey classic 20 MH that feeds both this amp's cab, plus an extension cab I later bought used and not cheap. These cabs are incredibly well made, all pine or birch, not sure, tongue-and-groove construction.

Between the open back original amplifier cab, and the close back extension one, stacked one on top of each other, heavenly.

I ended up removing the amp chassis from the cab as it was rattling and I could not tame the rattling. Now it's a dream come true, mid highs from the top cab, mid lows from the bottom, perfect stack.
    20180820_133030.jpg

GDR

4. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

CE70758C-4189-455C-8D92-8153929A3F07.jpeg Traded a fancy Farfisa organ for my 1981 Augustino (U.S made by Augustino LoPrinzi) CM20 dreadnaught

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I traded 6 pictures of Benjamin Franklin for a used ebony LP standard in the mid 80s

6. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

165FBF94-DF5D-48D9-8BEC-B9AD05841D7E.jpeg A few years ago, I traded a non-running POS Ford Windstar for this Gibson. I would have taken 300 dollars for the minivan. It had been wasting away in my yard for a while, and my wife just wanted it gone.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Way back in the early 90’s I worked for a little local mom and pop music store. The owner would take just about ANYTHING in trade.

He took a dishwasher for a small PA system. His wife wanted a dishwasher, he got her one.

He took a TV with a built in VHS player for an amp so we could play hot licks videos in the showroom.

He once took a small trailer with goats in it. He enclosed the trailer and we used it for deliveries. He butchered the goats and invited everybody over for a BBQ. No, I’m not kidding.

Strangest deal I ever personally did ... I think... I once traded a cheap Strat for an early mint condition Steve Caballero skateboard deck.

tubegeek, smartsoul72, sean79 and 3 others like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Dad was a wheeler dealer and often took "trades" as partial or full payment at his car lot (late 60s-early 70s). Some I remember...an orange Gretsch guitar (long gone)...a matched pair of gold plated Colt Peacemakers...a side of beef, butchered and wrapped...a go-cart (yay me!)...appliances and AC...a cool plywood runabout (yay me part 2)...a '40 International pickup-non running 4H project (yay me part 3). You never knew what he'd come home with...

sean79, GreatDaneRock and Jakedog like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not a guitar.....but I once made and traded a neon "OPEN" sign, bordered in a guitar shaped outline, for a small PA system to Tim Wooley (Wooly Bully's Guitar Shop) The head (don't remember the off-brand name) wasn't very good, but the Sunn cabinets (two 10" speakers+piezo tweeter each cab) were very good, and I still own and use them, mostly as monitors. Best "trade" I ever made.....unless you count the single Ben Franklin I traded for my first MIK Fender Squier Telecaster.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I traded a new MIM Tele Deluxe with Telenator MOD1 pickups for a complete website.

11. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

My first geetar, back in 1965, bought at Plaza Music, Arlington Tx.

sean79 likes this.
  12. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I traded a Washburn Koa acoustic for this weird guitar:

[​IMG]

Tommy Biggs and LPBlue like this.
  13. slacquin

slacquin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I traded my soul for fingers like the wind
    so I can play air-guitar like a Hurricane

Thoughtfree likes this.
  14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I bought a strat from a guy, but I didn’t have as much money as he was asking. He wouldn’t take less, but I threw in a bunch of weights, an ez curl bar and a preachers stand, and swing the deal.
    I traded that Strat for my bass a few years later.

15. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I traded a Ruger LCP .380 pistol(paid $190) for this 2005 Gibson Melody Maker(worth probably$600-$800). Signed by the band "The Fray" and other names of other band members and roadies I believe. I'd like to know the history on it like it may have been a promotional or charity raffle or something. Not too shabby of a deal and it's a real player to boot. I do miss the Ruger however and I want another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I once had a Volvo 740, which turned out to be the worst purchase of my life; I think the rear view mirror was the only piece I didn't have problems with. I exchanged it for a banjolin and a strange old super-slim Gibson amplifier.
    I also traded a 2014 Gibson 70s Tribute Les Paul for a 1984 Yamaha SG200. I lost a little bit financially but have never regretted it.

17. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister

Sometime in the early 1970s a guy gave me 180 bucks and an ounce of lo-test herb for my beatup 1958 LP Special. I was OK with it - I'd only paid 200 for the guitar a couple years earlier. It was another world...

Jakedog likes this.
  18. PA Woody

PA Woody Tele-Meister

Last year I paid 350 for a mim standard tele in midnight blue and a line 6 spyder amp. Didn't like the color, it looked purple. Traded it for a vortex viper rifle scope and 20 new 30 round p-mags. Gave the amp to my daughter.

19. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted

going to trade a guitar for a 10,000 insurance policy.. Ill get paid eventually :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.