1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weird thing at GAS PUMP! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chiogtr4x, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

No, thanks.

I just mean that sometimes I miss the exact $10 or $15 I'm shooting for, so I just go pump another 5 or 10 cents worth, just for my own bookkeeping! ( 10 cents is easy to subtract on my balance...)
    You can pump whatever amount you want
    Sorry to be unclear

Thanks for all responses!

2. Chiogtr4x

Too late!

elihu likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

I can and should now.

This comes from just always having so little money ( and money coming and going daily), tight, so I was afraid to put in too much $$ into the tank, because we might need $$ for food or bills...
    Things are better now.

Edit: I think this came from the cash only days, where I had $15 in my wallet, but needed gas. And when you are poor, or just not steady income, this habit lasted many years

ale.istotle likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Got it.

You may add back a year to my life by downloading your bank’s app.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

When gas prices are low or going down, I'll fill the tank.

If prices start rising or getting higher, I'll only put in $20 worth.

My loose theory centers around my understanding that companies watch gas consumption everyday and set their prices accordingly.

More use... higher prices. Less use... lower prices.

So, and it's really just out of principal and on my own, I'm trying to drive gas prices down by buying less.

And, crazily hoping that a significant amount of others might do the same.

Just a Chalk-mark In a Rainstorm, as Joni Mitchell would say.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

It's similar in the UK, it'll be priced at, for example, £1.17.9 or 117.9 pence.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The one cent thing in the movie was inspired by a real bank fraud trick.

dented likes this.
  8. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Yes! I've witnessed this at several stations in different parts of the city. When you try to hit "on the money" and do, stop and put the pump handle back, many "tack on" that one extra penny. Hell yes it's happening. I view it as "one last little dig of the blade" into the customer!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Then I would change banks. My debit card is backed up 100% from my bank if someone "drains" my account.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

They put new pumps in down at the station about a mile from my house where I always buy my gas. Being a creature of habit, I just punch in the card, and hit enter. Unbeknownst to me, they changed the pumps, and switched the position of enter and help on the keypad. I kept putting my card in, hitting help, thinking I was hitting enter. The little box thingy kept saying see cashier, I kept repeating what I was doing. Finally, someone came out form inside and said, say Mr. Goofus, did you ever think about hitting the enter button instead of HELP? Uh, maybe I'll give that a shot, but don't run off Mr. Inside Person 'cause that might not work. Sure enough the little guy knew what he was talking about. Now whadayaknow? Darned thing works every time, just magic I tells ya, magic.

11. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

I am guessing he ment he had to manually shut it off insted of it clicking off its self .

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I'm fixed in my habits, but that is good to know

13. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

It's this way, They sell gas by the 10th of a gallon it goes back 4 digits on the price it is rounding off the total that looks off but it's not.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I never use a card for gas. the difference is 11 cents per gallon at the gas station I usually use. I'm not cheap. I'm frugal.

15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never heard a good reason for the 9/10 price.
    My wrangler & van both get topped off at 1/4 tank. It’s the way it is. I get about 14-15mpg in both vehicles. Jeep has a 19 gal tank and the van is 30

16. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Do you get a receipt? If so compare it to your bank statement. Maybe the pump readout is not exact.

And I'm going to repeat what many others have stated. Don't use your debit card for stuff like this. If it gets compromised they can clear out your bank account without the protections that a credit card enjoys.

And what the heck is wrong with you that you don't fill up? Is it that you merely enjoy your visits to the gas station?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

It's a preauthorization hold FIs put on these types of transactions. Since they have no idea how much gas you're gonna buy, they authorize the transaction for a certain amount. It's really up to the FI how much they wanna hold.

Once the transaction is done, the preauth hold is supposed to fall off your account. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it takes a while.

Finally, my profession pays off somewhat.

18. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I do the same

A couple of years ago a car of mine died. I called the wrecking yard boys and they took the car. Then I realised the tank was completely full, around 70€

As I always drive the cheapest peace of junk I can get that moves, plays music and has air conditioner, I always have the Damocles's sword of suddenly car malfunctioning and dying. I just take it to wreck and get another cheap piece of junk

Since then, I never fill the tank, just 15 or 20€ at a time

That remembers me this song

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When gas was $0.19 a gallon or less - YEEEEEEEEARS ago - is when they started that. 19.9 looks like 19 cents, rather than 20 cents. Or it looked like 14 cents, when 14.9 was really 15 cents. Psychological, making it look 7% cheaper.

Now, at $2.50, or $2.499, it makes little difference. We have just been doing to for so long, nobody wants to do the work to switch back.

To me, this is like when stocks were dollars and eights. They converted to dollars and sense some time ago. Someone needs to force the fuel industry to do the same.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    rand z likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.