Weird Phone Calls

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
I set up my phone to only ring on calls from my contact list. All others are silenced - they can leave a voicemail if they like.

I do get vm trying to buy my house, and texts. It’s part of the market nowadays, as has been noted.
I do the same. If they are not on my contact list, I don't need to talk to them. Makes life a lot more peaceful.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I receive semi regular texts from the same number asking to buy my house. I told them I'd sell it, at 4x the current redfin estimate, and they actually expressed interest! So I told them that was a typo and incremented the leading digit. That seems to have cooled their interest for a while.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I'm receiving three calls per asking if I might be willing to sell my home on McKinnly in Milwaukee.

I simply say "I don't own a home in Milwaukee.

Then they ask if I'm interested in selling my current home.

I say no.

They say goodbye and hang up politely.

I get these calls over and over and over.

My cell phone is not published anywhere but the know my name. My last name is as uncommon as can be. It's German/Jewish. It's odd; not common.

I would never ever discuss banking or checking or credit cards. I don't understand what they're after.

What could they be after?

Do you think that is somehow legit??

Freaky. I also receive weekly texts asking that samed thing.
I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. My phone blocks all non-contact numbers. If it's important, they'll leave a msg. And I can't repeat here what I'd say to someone over the phone asking to buy my home.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Don't answer , Don't talk , Delete.
Good advice, of course, but I want laws that prevent them even calling me in the first place. Regardless of what I'm doing, if my phone rings, I HAVE to drop everything and go check the Caller ID. Otherwise, I might miss an emergency call from my daughter or grandson. (and until last June when she died, my mother) So, when it rings, I'm automatically disturbed. I pay monthly for a cellphone and a landline for MY convenience.....not to enable some worthless P.O.S telephone solicitor who can't or won't get a real job. :(

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I get the voice-mail for selling my house or if I have been affected by Roundup and such. It is annoying as I get them everyday. I just found a feature from T-mobile (my carrier) that is supposed to keep them from leaving a voice-mail. We'll see. As someone else said, phone carriers could keep this from happening if they really wanted to do this..

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Anyone else constantly get the calls where you pick up and they say "hi this is Sydney with Pinehurst funding, can you hear me?" I keep blocking the numbers, but they keep calling back on different numbers. I also get tons of calls to sell the house. I guess the poor real estate agents around here are desperate to make a commission, and there's not enough houses on the market.

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
No 'sell your house' calls, but I get many 'you have still not activated your vehicle's extended warranty. This is your final notice, so act now'. Have been getting the 'final notice' twice a week for months. Started getting some 'final notice' in the mail too- even have a line-drawing of the same make/model as the return address, in case I wasn't sure it was legit. Right, "oh, for that vehicle!!"
I've been hesitant about blocking callers or texts from people not on my contact list, but it's getting to that point. I generally do not give out my cell number, but there has been 2-3 times I did for good reasons.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I was recently speaking with an American friend who now lives here about this. She is amazed at the almost-non-existent level of 'marketing-related' nuisance calls here, but shocked me with tales of what/how many she used to get in the US. o_O

If I don't know the number, I don't answer. Leave a message, or not.

The folks who I need to hear from know how to get hold of me. And it's not via a phone call.

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
I get calls quite offed also, if you follow real state the inventory in my area is low and things are selling like crazy and the prices are just as crazy. They are going to start this BS again where you summit your best offer by a certain closing date and the following week they open the offers and see who had the highest bid and that's who gets the property. I feel sorry for people who are trying to get into their own homes at this point because at some point the bubble pops and prices drop and for those who bought high are now upside down in the mortgages and the cycle of foreclosures start over again.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I set up my phone to only ring on calls from my contact list. All others are silenced - they can leave a voicemail if they like.
Now that is a good idea. Can that be done on Android 10? If so could someone aim me in the right direction? Just a quick "Settings > Privacy ???" general area to look will do it.

NO-ONE but my close friends gets my cell number, ever. Never been told to an online purchase/registration/signup place, insurance company (The worst! They sell your info in seconds) or anything else. I NEVER answer ANY call that is not identified as someone I know. I still get a couple calls a day from "???" that I never answer. If I see the same one a few times, I block!

blocked.gif

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
These phishers are taking advantage of most peoples' desire to be polite and compliant.

You can be polite and give nothing away...even if you have to physically answer the call (let's say your last name is Smith), e.g.,

[ring ring ring]

You: Hello?

They: Hello. Is this Mr. Smith?

[this is the point you don't confirm anything]

You: Who's calling?

They: My name is [yeah, that's really their name], and I'm calling for [some company]. Is this Mr. Smith?

You: "Have a nice day." [and hang up]

Here's a trick I use. Telemarketers are not allowed to call businesses, and most do comply with this regulation. They also share (sell) information with each other. So when I answer an unknown number, I say "Geno's Pizza." There's usually a pause, followed by "Is this a business number?" or they ask if I'm me, and I reply "this is a business. Have a nice day." [click] They will flag me as a no-call number, and that gets shared/sold to other call services. If the caller is contacting me for a legitimate reason, they will persist and I will find out who they are before I identify myself.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
These phishers are taking advantage of most peoples' desire to be polite and compliant.

You can be polite and give nothing away...even if you have to physically answer the call (let's say your last name is Smith), e.g.,

[ring ring ring]

You: Hello?

They: Hello. Is this Mr. Smith?

[this is the point you don't confirm anything]

You: Who's calling?

They: My name is [yeah, that's really their name], and I'm calling for [some company]. Is this Mr. Smith?

You: "Have a nice day." [and hang up]

Here's a trick I use. Telemarketers are not allowed to call businesses, and most do comply with this regulation. They also share (sell) information with each other. So when I answer an unknown number, I say "Geno's Pizza." There's usually a pause, followed by "Is this a business number?" or they ask if I'm me, and I reply "this is a business. Have a nice day." [click] They will flag me as a no-call number, and that gets shared/sold to other call services. If the caller is contacting me for a legitimate reason, they will persist and I will find out who they are before I identify myself.
Most of the time they have computer "robo" calls going out. The second you answer the call at all, your number is added to a for sale list. The call is just to see if it's an active number.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Most of the time they have computer "robo" calls going out. The second you answer the call at all, your number is added to a for sale list. The call is just to see if it's an active number.
What if it goes to voice-mail? If that still added to the list?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It is a common thing now to receive cold calls, biz cards on your door, etc. The real estate agents in my family tell me that there is such a shortage of homes for sale that we are at 9 buyers for every available house. So, they have to get aggressive to try and find people interested in selling their homes any way that they can.

My little town has been on the radar for years since being name the best small town in America by Forbes a few years back and the large medical facilities that were built just 4 miles away in the next city. My property value has doubled in the last 4 years...good if selling, but the property tax increases are hell on those that want to stay. Most of the residences were lower to middle class, but now it has flipped to about 65% upper crust with the holdouts getting taxed to death....like me.

Still, not going anywhere since I would have to throw myself into the housing market at a time when there is so little available and the prices crazy high. I guess I will just bleed to death in taxes instead.