Weird orangey stain like removal question

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Fender-guy, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I’ve had this wicked fat allparts neck for awhile now. It came new from the land of eBay in a horrible orange stain type finish. No clear at all just a stain type sealer.

I tried clearing it with gloss lacquer but after a few coats it just got a darker orange. Is there a product that will remove this stain or just keep sanding until it’s gone? That’s what I’ve been doing so far but it’s not working so good.
    DA02398D-A484-4989-A833-292ECB62CF22.jpeg 5D777872-74E1-4D87-86E8-2A6654236BAC.jpeg EC421974-F957-4171-ADB1-C4E58710A241.jpeg 0C7151C7-84C3-4330-8E98-D9444B148CCF.jpeg

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

It depends what it is.

If someone shot it with amber tinted lacquer, you can remove it with acetone and plenty of paper towels. Work outside when doing this. And don't be doing your one-hitter while using acetone unless you like fire and lots of screaming.

If it's a stain that was applied to the bare wood, then sanding it out is the only way to remove it because it's not on the wood, it's in the wood. The problem with this is how far into the maple is it? You may have to sand quite a bit of wood off to remove it all.

Jlwctn and teletimetx like this.
  3. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. I’ve used finish stripper, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. Nothing will get rid of the stain.

I should have sent it back months ago but I figured I’d just remove the orange. I love Allparts necks but I made the mistake of buying one of the ones with a generic picture. This out of 7 different necks I bought over the years is the only one that had a orange tint.

4. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Took a long time sanding and some really soaked in paint stripper. Now I’m into about 6 coats of Tru Oil, not pictured but soon. This is just bare wood in these pics 275C885D-9644-4B95-AB8E-59156249FBEE.jpeg D94F0C80-AF58-4BFE-A886-B130B84CD1D0.jpeg

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

FWIW that really won't build a film. It's a penetrating stain with a small amount of hardening resin - in other words, a Danish Oil type product.

Six coats will add some water resistance and possible some color, but the film thickness will be about the same as 1/20th of a coat of lacquer. So there will be no significant abrasion or impact resistance - even if you applied 50 coats. Moisture resistance and "feel" are the qualities added by tru oil.

Wally likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I removed that orange ‘vintage’ treatment from an Allparts neck with acetone.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Tru-oil will absolutely build a film....and it's not a stain but a polymerized oil...basically a varnish. The first couple of applications will be absorbed and then it will build a film. On maple there will be very little absorption into the wood. It won't protect like a thicker nitro lacquer or urethane finish but as you say it feels and looks great.

Jlwctn and paul_gordon like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just buy a new one ...

If it doesn't work for you...

Life is too short ...

10. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Acetone would not remove this stain. It definitely helped but barely touched this junk. Heavy paint stripped coated on and about 30 minutes later I was able to get some of the pumpkin out of it. Sanding did the rest.

So I was going to just spray lacquer but wanted to try the oil. Everyone was doing it. So 50 coats and it want seal this beast?

11. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I was just going to buy a new one but it’s hard to find this one cheap enough without the pumpkin spice stain. Yeah I can buy one not finished but then I’d be in the same situation. They are out there but it’s never the same neck that is pictured. This is the only bummer neck I’ve bought that was a Allparts neck. The 9 that I’ve bought were all awesome. This is one just has a shifty finish.

rangercaster likes this.
  12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If you read my entire post I said it won't build a film like lacquer.

It will build a film that is extremely thin - "polymerized oil" is a varnish-like resin...but you have to understand how to read the "solids by volume" to calculate the actual dry film thickness based on the wet film.

The film is inconsequential you ned a hundred coats or more to obtain the same film build as just a couple of thin coats of lacquer.

It's a type of product that's been available for decades - a Danish Oil type material. But some finishers stumbled on it several years ago and thought it was some revolutionary new protective coating.

It's not.

13. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I ended up stripping back down to bare wood. The Tru Oil looks great but after 15 or so coats it’s still pretty thin. I like how it looks everywhere else but the fret board. If the frets were out I would keep going.

I can’t get it sanded to look good up to the frets. I’ll just clear lacquer about 5 coats and get it looking good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.