WEIRD OCCURANCE: Is Mr Bezos Watching?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I'm online shopping for pots, wiring etc, and tinkering with guitars.

At one point my digital callipers go on the blink, it's the battery terminals. Out come the tweezers and a small jeweller's screwdriver:-fixed job done.

Two hours later of measuring, taking notes, polishing some marks out of a guitar body, (Curtis Mayfield on loud), the thought occurs to me about fixing the keeper on my front door so I plug in the Dremel, grind the keeper a gnats pube or three wider, the front door now shuts and locks perfectly:- another job done. I get more done when there's nobody else here.

Run the tub for a soak and decide to log onto Amazon to see when the shrink tubing I ordered on Thursday is arriving.

I log in and on my Amazon start page the first two items in their purchase suggestions are for Digital Callipers and a Dremel!!!

Either Mr Bezos is watching me or I'm in the Truman Show.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Run the tub for a soak and decide to log onto Amazon to see when the shrink tubing I ordered on Thursday is arriving.

I log in and on my Amazon start page the first two items in their purchase suggestions are for Digital Callipers and a Dremel!!!

Looked like a good soak to me ;)

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
homerspy27f6d6_500.gif

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Spooky!
You're not in view of a laptop's camera, are you?
Or given to talking to yourself within earshot of a smart speaker?

:::
Neither.
If the light isn't on with my Surface Pro it means the camera is off and I've high privacy settings in Bitdefender.

No "smart" speakers here either, I haven't spoken a word since midday when Mrs K left to go down to my daughters and I've had music blasting all day via Spotify through my HiFi.

Their AI is damned clever, or Skynet is up and running, or possibly I'm Jim Carey's unfunny doppelganger and I'm in the Truman Show.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Your devices have microphones and cameras. When you click the download link or the order link and the fine print says by clicking you agree to their terms…

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
You and everyone else are profiled every time you are online. Whether through the types of site you visit (fishing, hunting, guitars, cars,etc), the types of videos on YouTube you watch, your searches and every time you click on an ad.

Your information is out there.

I assume a VPN will protect you from some of this "spying" and data collection, since it's not your actual IP address.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
My father and I do construction together, it seems whatever we are working on is the same stuff he will get messages about

Without looking anything up

For example if we are working on a deck he will get messages about decks

I think it’s listening….

Probably some room in china with thousands of people listening day in day out…

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Time for my one really paranoid story:

I was driving to work one day. Stopped at a red light. I look to my left and see a van from some company that does security cameras and the like. Not a big company, probably just some local guy's small business.

Now, I need to make something clear. I was not on the phone. I was not texting anybody. I was not on the internet. My phone wasn't even a smart phone, it was an old flip phone you could buy at Best Buy and put your old SIM card into.

I did not utter a single sound at this time. I simply looked to my left and saw the van, and noticed what it was about.

When I got to work I checked my email and there's one of those "Here's some things you might like" emails from Amazon. It'a all about security cameras and the like.

I'd never shopped for cameras, much less security cameras. I didn't own any kind of camera. The closest thing I owned at the time was a telescope for stargazing, no cameras involved.

So yeah. Happen to stop next to a van belonging to someone selling a niche service I'd never talked about or even thought much about. Later get an email from Amazon trying to sell me that same stuff.

Once I got over my initial paranoia I figured out a possible explanation. It's likely whoever was in the van had their cell phone on them, likely a smart phone with a browser or even the Amazon app. Even if they didn't, they likely had a credit card tied to that phone number, and that had been used to buy stuff on Amazon. I of course had my cell with me, and Amazon likely had my phone number tied to my account.

Given that, it's not unreasonable that Amazon "knew" (perhaps more accurately deduced (correctly) the line of business the person in the van was in, and also "knew" (directly or indirectly, I don't know how this would work) that our two cell phones were at least in the vicinity of each other, meaning there was some likelihood that I came across the van, noticed it, and started thinking about what they sold. And so Amazon tried to sell some of that stuff to me directly.

It's not mind-reading, but it's still creepy (perhaps mores given how mundane it all is).

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
Same happened to me a few days ago. My uncle shows me his cards wallet. I held it briefly and handed it back.
Within hours the very same wallet was an add in my FB feed. We didn't discuss a product brand name, my phone was in my pocket. Wth?

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
A couple weeks ago I was over at my daughter’s house and I grabbed some Doritos to snack on. While I was eating, I opened my phone to look for something on the net. Guess what was showing as an ad? Yep, Doritos. I have never ever googled Doritos or clicked on any articles pertaining to them…too odd.