1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weird Morley Wah Problem

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dan German, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

So, having decided the lack of interest in my Morley Wah Volume is a sign that I should keep it, I added it back into the pedal chain today. Wait a minute, no noise. Click. Volume pedal works. Click. Nothing through the wah. Check light. It’s on. The only time it gave me a problem before was when the bulb burned out. Not the issue this time. Click. Yep, volume works. Click. Dead silent on wah. Hmmm... Well, when in doubt, open it up and stare at the internals as if you know what you’re doing. I start undoing the screws on the side, and I’m looking at the sticker that says “instrument” and I think “hey... did I...?” Plug it back in with the cables in the correct jacks, and whattaya know? It works fine. So how does the volume control work when the amp/instrument cables are reversed???

2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Your volume pedal is likely passive. The switch connects the input and output jacks with only a variable resistor (ie the pot) in between. As input and outputs are symmetrical, electric current can flow either way. The wah circuit on the other hand has a positive and a negative pole that the current must go between.

Think of it as trying to pour water through a pipe. If the pipe is empty, you could pour water through it either way. However if the pipe is connected and water already flows through it, it's impossible to pour against that flow.

I've done the same mistake with tbp-pedals many times. Always feel like the dumbest mf in the world when I realize what the problem was:oops:

I've done the same

Dan German likes this.
  3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I knew there was a simple explanation, it just made no sense to me when it happened!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.